Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Once again the average wage earner in this state will be forced to cut down or cut out something pleasurable. Those doing well will gripe but can afford the tax. Those who can't will just have to forgo their brewskis.

They are saying the money will go to treating alcoholism? Right, and I have this bridge over the Willamette to sell the taxpayers too.
I consider beer to be a luxury, not a necessity. And if they're one of "those who can't" ... cutting back on luxuries is one of those things that they more than likely need to do.

Not to mention how incredibly ridiculous it is that there is any singular tax that hasn't increased since the 1970s. Seems to me, it's about time.

<<ducks all the beer drinkers>>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
I think it's not bad to raise the tax, but so much at such a bad time is insane. You raise it a good bit when things are going well, because heck people can afford it...though 1600% is way to high no matter which way you look at it. Then when the economy hits the toilet you cut a little bit off it and say you're doing it to help people out. Doing it in reverse as a politician is a good way to get people to beat you up in the parking lot.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I consider beer to be a luxury, not a necessity. And if they're one of "those who can't" ... cutting back on luxuries is one of those things that they more than likely need to do.

Not to mention how incredibly ridiculous it is that there is any singular tax that hasn't increased since the 1970s. Seems to me, it's about time.

<<ducks all the beer drinkers>>
Then why not raise the tax on wine as well, which has the same history of no tax increase? The microbrewery industry strikes me as just important as the winery industry.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Then why not raise the tax on wine as well, which has the same history of no tax increase? The microbrewery industry strikes me as just important as the winery industry.
If you're correct that it hasn't (I don't know) sounds like it should. But that's not a good enough argument for me as to why they shouldn't raise the beer tax. Beer today, wine tomorrow!

And I hear you, subsound, about huge increases. I don't like them either. But I think 30 years of no increases forgives a larger increase to raise it to the level where it should have been all along.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:03 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,306 times
This tax increase will lead to lay offs of bar staff, distribution center workers and drivers, bars will cut down to only a few taps. Plus many bars will just close down. for a bar that sells a microbrew pint for $4.00 would have to sell it for around $6.00 just to make the same profit.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:28 AM

I seriously doubt it. Do you even know what is proposed? Current tax on a pint of beer is .01 and has been for over 30 years. The proposed increase in the tax would be .20 on a pint of beer. Hardly highway robbery. The tax currently is $2.60 on something that cost about $450. The proposed increase is to a tax that would be about $49. It just doesn't seem unreasonable to me. And if places are claiming they'll increase the cost to the consumer 50% will be ripping you off, and deserve to fail in business.

But keep on warning the masses, Penny Little.

Last edited by EnricoV; 03-08-2009 at 03:39 AM..

Old 03-08-2009, 03:09 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I seriously doubt it. Do you even know what is proposed? Current tax on a pint of beer is .01 and has been for over 30 years. The proposed increase in the tax would be .20 on a pint of beer. Hardly highway robbery. The tax currently is $2.60 on something that cost about $450. The proposed increase is to a tax that would be about $49. It just doesn't seem unreasonable to me. And if places are claiming they'll increase the cost to the consumer 50% will be ripping you off, and deserve to fail in business.

But keep on warning the masses, Penny Little.
Your math is correct assuming it will be a tax that is a direct pass-thru to the consumer. The brewers are stating that by the time distributors and retailers are finished marking up their prices to cover the increase, it will be around $2 per 6-pack and up to $1.50 per pint. Granted, they have a VERY biased opinion and are being Penny Little.

Realistically, it will be somewhere between $0.20 and $1.50 per pint. So, if its $0.85 more a pint, I'm probably still going to have that beer and I'd imagine most will do the same.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM

As I said, if they bump it up that much ... they're the ones doing the ripping off. There is no reason for anyone along the supply chain to have to increase anything more than the actual tax. It requires no additional work, no additional employees, no additional cost. So, if they do increase it more than that ... in my opinion they are ripping you off. Not the taxman.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,306 times
Where are you getting your information? I am getting mine from from Bar owners and Distributors.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:10 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,456 times
He is getting his information from the actual Bill being proposed.

The current excise tax on beer produced or imported in to Oregon is $2.60 per barrel. The Bill being proposed, increases that to $49.61 per barrel.

There are 31 gallons in a barrel, 8 pints to a gallon.

New tax is an increase of $47.01 per barrel or ~$0.19 per pint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland