Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM

6 posts, read 18,976 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Portland. I am curious what the job market is like. I work in Hospitality and would be looking for something in management, but would take entry level just to get by for a while. Would I struggle moving to Portland without a job first, or would I be ok as long as I have a bit of money to support myself for a couple weeks?? Thanks for the advice... A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 PM

66 posts, read 247,118 times
The job market is okay. Look on craigslist.org, unlike many cities it's very representative of what's out there. It's possible to find a job within a few weeks especially if you have some temp-able skills, but I don't think it's a very safe bet.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:22 AM

746 posts, read 3,726,971 times
You can always get a job at a gas station in Portland. They pay a bit higher than normal, around 8.50, and there isn't TOO much chance of getting shot up, unless you work the night shift, of course. Merry Maids is hiring housekeepers for 7/hour, and
you get extra if you speak spanish........also, McDonalds is hiring in ALL Portland locations, and is a wonderful learning opportunity......I hear the drive-in window is a great gig, though the local hispanics have been caught selling various drugs through the same.....hey, if you were making 6.34 an hour to dish out dollar menu crapola, you would sell do the same! LOL! Hey, best of luck to you.....again, there is no shortage of minimum wage jobs in the Portland metro!
God bless!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:24 AM

I hope you were trying to be funny... anyway, thanks for the tips, however I'm looking more for upper level management and could use some real advice from someone that has a bit of a clue about the industry. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:14 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 427,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astacklin View Post
I am considering a move to Portland. I am curious what the job market is like. I work in Hospitality and would be looking for something in management, but would take entry level just to get by for a while. Would I struggle moving to Portland without a job first, or would I be ok as long as I have a bit of money to support myself for a couple weeks?? Thanks for the advice... A
Well, a couple of weeks is a pretty thin margin - I'd say a couple of months would be better.

When you say 'hospitality,' do you mean food/bev or hotel?

Servers in Portland make the local minimum wage (I think it's $7.80) + tips. Restaurants seem to be in a bit of flux - those that are doing well are doing really well, while others are closing.

Hotel management is probably a bit more stable, but also harder to get into.

Your best bet might be to check the ads on Craigslist, as well as in the Willamette Week.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:24 AM

Thanks GB1, I am looking to get into Hotel/Resorts. My degree is in Hotel Management and I've done a bit of traveling in Europe, now just looking to settle down someplace new and interesting. I would resort to doing serving/restaurant jobs, but would love to get into something a bit more high on the ladder iff possible. I'll check out craiglist, thanks for the tip!!
A

Old 03-10-2008, 08:36 AM

11 posts, read 47,528 times
astacklin,

I work in the tech sector and have been monitoring tech jobs in Seattle and LA for about 5 years now. I can say that there are less listings in Portland overall, the pay is lower, and the job requirements are higher. I'm talking professional mid level computer jobs in the $45k-75k bracket. Despite Seattle having a higher percentage of people with degrees, I can definitely say that more of the Portland listings require a Bachelors. I see that asked for in Seattle listings only half as much. To me, this means that there is a larger supply than demand for these positions. A friend of mine currently living in Portland have verified this for me as well(graphic design and photography fields).

That said, the cost of living in Seattle is quite a bit higher... to the point that where I live now(Central Washington), we have had a glut of retirees moving here from there... as well as California and even Portland. Currently, 1/3rd of the people here are not locals... the cost of living has gone up tremendously, yet the pay has not! It is now comparable to Portland in terms of housing costs... and even higher for food.

This is why I am considering moving to Portland as opposed to Seattle... but the job market and local economy is certainly a big concern to me. I'm definitely going to be doing extensive research on this over the next month and make a couple visits with my wife before we decide.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 10,250 times
As a technical recruiter my view is a bit skeewed to the technical side of things. I relocate people from out of Portland several times a month for positions ranging from a manufacturing technician to software and hardware engineers. The market is good - it just depends on how niche your skills are and if your pay expectations are Portlandized to the going rates here.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,190 times
The job market in Portland sucks. There is incredible competition here because everyone here is overqualified and working crappy jobs for low wage. I worked in the hospitality industry in New Orleans and I can tell you to just scratch that. You may be able to get a job in management but I can tell you there are up against a lot of people. Good Luck.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandTechnical View Post
As a technical recruiter my view is a bit skeewed to the technical side of things. I relocate people from out of Portland several times a month for positions ranging from a manufacturing technician to software and hardware engineers. The market is good - it just depends on how niche your skills are and if your pay expectations are Portlandized to the going rates here.
Really thats interesting. Every job I see is paying about 40% less in IT than other areas such as Seattle or Dallas etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland