Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 10:08 PM

71 posts, read 202,093 times

Advertisements

I've read that the job market there is not the best. I work in hotels and will have a bachelor's degree in Hospitality Management when I get there. Is it really so competitive that it would be hard to find a good job? I really don't want to end up working the front desk for the rest of my life. Thanks
---Kenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 02:56 PM

47 posts, read 241,222 times
I'm wondering why there aren't more posts on this subject. I don't have any degree, but carpentry is my thing and I can't get much info on job opportunity either. Pretty much all I've read is that it's not easy to find work regardless of what you do. Someone said the temp agencies will keep you from sleeping in a park....

Old 06-26-2007, 09:41 PM

71 posts, read 202,093 times
Yikes, that doesn't sound very encouraging. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks

Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
I think that was true when the economy was bad a few years ago.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 PM

8 posts, read 30,303 times
I'm from So Cal and have the same question about the job market. I'm a CPA & MBA and have 7 years experience... I'd be looking for a management accounting role but am afraid this will be hard to find in Portland. I'd love to hear any more input on the job market.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:46 PM

32 posts, read 129,094 times
I wouldn't come to Portland without a job. My husband has been jobless for 6 years...it is getting old! He doesn't have a degree but speaks 4 languages.

the other thing is I work for the county. For a $20 and hour job they will get over 100 applicants easily!

I would apply first and land a job first and then come out west.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times
Should try starting a window cleaning business.

My son, and about 1/2 dozen friends, started window cleaning businesses.

One of them, became so large in commerce, he had all of Multnomah counties buildings as one customer of many. He sold, for another adventure of choice.

Most of them were bidding based on $40 per hour.

Without training, almost anybody can start with single level homes and work to 2 story homes in a matter of months. The info is not hard to come by. All someone needs is a couple of squeegees, clean work clothes, a step ladder, a scrubber and a bucket.

Probably the lowest overhead of all businesses to start in.

Portland area always has an avenue to meeting financial needs if the will to succeed exists.

There's also the better type of temp agencies too. That's one clue in itself. Temp agencies could not exist if a the job market was dried-up entirely.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:18 PM

47 posts, read 241,222 times
So basicly if I want a job I can probably get one, right? It couldn't be worse than Hawaii, that's what I'm counting on.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:02 PM

65 posts, read 252,648 times
May 2007 Bureau of Labor Statistics metropolitan area Unemployment table

There is anecdotal info and statistical info... be careful of both but weigh both. My personal experience is that finding a job is no problem but I imagine it depends on your particular area of expertise, your experience in that area and how deeply you drill into the resources available. Statistically Portland is very slightly above the national average in unemployment at 4.5% (national average is 4.5% or an average of 4.3% in the major metropolitan areas in the table) but some very trusted economic resources (I could give you them if you are interested or you could google "full employment") considers unemployment under 5% as "full employment".

Again, there is statistical info and there is anecdotal info. Both can be true, both can be false in any individual case. Any information you get on this board isn't going to be good enough to base a rational decision on. Look at Craig's list, the employment pages in the Oregonian, the websites of the particular field you are in or visit Portland and visit the places you might want to work and try to meet people and ask them.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by kelcat; 07-01-2007 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: unemployment percentage correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: