Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 02:17 AM

125 posts, read 153,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I can tell you that the tactic of saying, in all caps, "YOU ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!" is not an effective tactic and tends to make people ignore you. ....
...the only ‘cap locks’ are yours… What I’ve posted are well researched descriptions of what will happen; tomorrow, or in fifty years. And my relatives are far more respectful of my concern, than you...

You do exemplify a nuanced denial that likely feeds an overall complacency, because there really are no "solutions." But if that allows you to sleep, drive valley hillsides ..cross the Marquam or stroll on the beach, so be it. Anymore, my expectation and overall concern is for those with ..guts. Honestly, I don’t want everyone following me East - or, to make a rescue mission home ..looking for the remains of relatives…

Minimizing the potential, if eventual damage is more of a disservice than pointing out the reality. Heck, Oregon hired a real Geologist to do what I'm apparently doing for free! And comparisons with Japan, as mentioned, are not equal. They’re safer than you, though not by ‘design.’ No amount of structural engineering is capable of elevating the Cascadia danger to ..even schools… Relocation would be far, far cheaper.

I’d waited to ‘go public’ with my concerns … wanting first to sell my place and relocate. Gone, my effort ‘here’ is for that handful who may get it ... as I’d likely appreciate them as neighbors

Old 12-18-2016, 07:36 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,629,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregone View Post
I’ll not bother anyone further with such ‘updates’ ...but can’t help but be concerned ...even @ 3K away ~
That quote was back on 12/8/2016, and as of 12/18/2016 Oregone continues to give us updates nearly every other day about an event that happens on a geological time frame.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
That quote was back on 12/8/2016, and as of 12/18/2016 Oregone continues to give us updates nearly every other day about an event that happens on a geological time frame.
Really OK, updates = direct links to seismic events. There’ve been none, as of late… Had there been, or when there is, I’ve no intention of posting/ linking them. Better?

Seems there’s a real shoot-the-messenger mentality with some… Once more, info and answers are different than ‘updates.’

...now what next ...capitalization & punctuation

Old 12-19-2016, 02:32 AM

I realize those not adding to this thread are likely learning from it. If so, you’re welcome, you’re who I’ve attempted to reach. And if my original ‘tone’ was a bit snarky … it’s because negative reactions of denial are what I’ve come to expect regarding this horrid scenario..

It’s tuff stuff. It was for me, too, and still is… One of my children lives at the base of the West Hills.. Thus I watch for ‘trigger’ quakes almost daily. And when coming across this subject, felt compelled to finally go public with my fears. Recently posting the same on facebook, having compiled it here.. Silence. Nobody wants to hear this…

Actually, back (as we’d say out west) east, they’re concerned, too. Perhaps because they’re who’ll decide how much to spend rebuilding the PNW, or not.. “What are they doing?” I’m asked. ‘There’s not much they can do,’ I’ll begin. 'Most ignore the subject,' “I can understand that,” they’ll respond.

So, it was mentioned that business people at the coast are taking down ‘Sunami’ warning signs (call it a Tidal Wave if necessary). That they’re bad for business. Yet I describe people being ‘in denial,’ and get jumped on. I’ve friends living next to a golf course, fully aware of ‘the quake,’ assuming, in their one-level home, they’ll survive. If it’s 7 in the evening, they likely will. If she’s returning from her 50 mile daily teaching commute to PSU, not so good.

But, I don’t ‘argue with them.’ Around here ..I’ve assumed it’s OK to be more candid, and have. But if the subjects of: when, preparedness, extent of damage, safe zones, timely help, disinvestment and relocation are ignored by ‘senior members’ … and the focus becomes garamerical nitpicking or personal digs… I suppose ‘that’ behavior says something, too. And, there's little I can do about that, either ~

Old 12-19-2016, 08:36 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Quote:
.......... negative reactions of denial are what I’ve come to expect regarding this horrid scenario.............
Yeah, it's a tough life being a profit who is attempting to control the lives of 4 million people because you know what is best for them.

Catch a clue. We all know that there is a possibility of an earthquake. You bring nothing to the table. The entire state of Oregon is not going to empty out because you love the drama and want everyone else to get hysteria about it.

My advice to you is that you worry about whatever natural or man made disasters happen in your area and stop trying to control the thoughts and lives of people who live across the country from you. Most certainly there is some sort of gloom you can find to preach about in your own area.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
But if the subjects of: when, preparedness, extent of damage, safe zones, timely help, disinvestment and relocation are ignored by ‘senior members’ … and the focus becomes garamerical nitpicking or personal digs… I suppose ‘that’ behavior says something, too. And, there's little I can do about that, either ~
Thing is, some of us "senior members" are well aware of all of those things. You've been answered several times with information from others about how we've assessed the danger and made preparations. So to say that we ignore that stuff is just BS--we just don't feel compelled to pack up, sell, and leave.

Just because people don't think exactly like you doesn't make us wrong. Heck, I don't think you're wrong, you just have a much lower risk tolerance than I.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
........Catch a clue...
Woodsmoke 'Senior Member' ...not you, too.. I know you, from another place. Don’t you want more folks moving to your side of the mountains? Or are ya showing off to the ladies

So, as you admittedly ‘already know all this,’ I don’t ... so perhaps you could answer my questions:

How will the Columbia River dams fare; Bonneville, The Dalles or Jon Day?

What additional damage would the collapse of any of those dams have on the metro area?

If research has shown 41 subduction zone quakes in the last ten thousand years, does that number include southern quakes, or entire 800 mile breaks?

If only the ‘southern portion’ (Mendocino CA to Newport OR) breaks, what magnitude and level of damage would the Portland metro area receive, and would you expect that to postpone breakage (by relieving stress) of the section north?

Would the ‘immediate coastline sinking’ lead to higher than predicted wave damage inland, or has sinking been factored into the FEMA ‘high water’ lines?

Is there serious consideration or FEMA concern over Columbia River backup due to river-damming slides between Portland and the sea?

Have Cascadia Quakes been found to correlate with San Andreas quakes?

Coastal communities have ‘safe,’ or gathering grounds for after quakes, does Portland? (I’ve seen maps of the metro area that are on more solid ground than most, but they’ve also some of the area's most expensive homes)

How far inland would a 'tidal' or 'sunami' wave damage areas along the Columbia River - toward Portland?

Is there reliable evidence as to a number or duration of Aftershocks?

Is there an estimate on the magnitude of Aftershocks?

OK, and no blowing smoke

Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
..... Heck, I don't think you're wrong, you just have a much lower risk tolerance than I.
Yah, yur brave ..and if cholera outbreaks, roving gangs, domestic pets feeding on corpses and social breakdown is within your 'risk tolerance' ( Earthquake, tsunami and fire safety in Bay City ) … or the instant loss of home value, vechicls, jobs … or the lives of your children & grand children… let alone riding out this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qKXfQpSkeo -- Yup, you are far braver than I

Old 12-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Yah, yur brave ..and if cholera outbreaks, roving gangs, domestic pets feeding on corpses and social breakdown is within your 'risk tolerance' ( Earthquake, tsunami and fire safety in Bay City ) … or the instant loss of home value, vechicls, jobs … or the lives of your children & grand children… let alone riding out this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qKXfQpSkeo -- Yup, you are far braver than I
Wow, you are super sensitive.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,787,012 times
Quote:
I realize those not adding to this thread are likely learning from it. If so, you’re welcome, you’re who I’ve attempted to reach. And if my original ‘tone’ was a bit snarky … it’s because negative reactions of denial are what I’ve come to expect regarding this horrid scenario..
So what is your goal here? To get people to flee Oregon in droves just because you're frightened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland