Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 04:53 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,388 times

Advertisements

No one will care about wearing a fur edged jacket--at all. I see people wearing those types of jackets and I have no idea if they're real or not nor does anyone care. If you wore a mink coat in Portland it'd look out of place in most areas. I wouldn't even imagine that being common even in the West Hills or Lake Oswego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 04:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Most people in Portland wear warm and at least water repellent, if not waterproof, jackets. Most of the "down" jackets here are synthetic down, again from a water proofing perspective. Actual down jackets need to breathe and are often not particularly good in wet weather.

The kind of jacket you'd wear in cold and dry climates doesn't translate well to Portland, where WET is part of the equation.
True, but it can be nice to have a real down jacket on hand for really cold weather if it hits. Case in point last week when it was down in the 20s, I saw people wearing their rain jackets downtown freezing their gonads off--meanwhile I'm walking around nice and warm in my down jacket. Also good if you spend anytime in the mountains or east of the Cascades where it gets much colder.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:10 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
It might be a mote point. The jacket sounds like it is going to be too warm to wear in Portland. You probably can't wear it unless you go up to the snow for the day.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:31 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,875 times
BTW... those jackets are very expensive so the OP should wear as much as she can now because it will soon be too warm, right now it is, and the jacket will be sitting in a closet. I like to use my expensive items fully each season because the next season comes quickly and then I am storing things away for a year. A good example of this is my leather boots from my NYC days that I barely get to wear here because they will be ruined in rain. Also suede bags that shouldn't be wet and the list goes on. Even fashionable people here realize the damp and drizzly, rainy weather isn't good for many materials.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:11 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,305 times
What's the saying, ah yes that's it.... "Only dumb animals wear fur coats".

No disrespect to you but robing your self in a dead animal is just wrong, IMHO.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:49 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,967 times
It's just the clean, pretty, outer part of a dead animal, though.

What's the big fuss?

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 01-14-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 04:54 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
From the heading [Canada Goose jacket (real fur))] I was mostly confused why you thought geese had fur.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:39 PM

It has coyote fur collar.
Coyotes are considered the lowest of the low by most rural Oregon residents.
In fact, Harney County is hosting their annual coyote shoot right now.
Coyotes even eat eat cats and small dogs in suburban areas.

"What's the saying, ah yes that's it.... "Only dumb animals wear fur coats".
No disrespect to you but robing your self in a dead animal is just wrong, IMHO."

As far as the above "opinion":

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
Bertrand Russell

“If you're going to say what you want to say, you're going to hear what you don't want to hear.”
Roberto Bolaño, The Insufferable Gaucho

In My humble Opinion (IMHO) animal activists of the above ilk are among the most hypocritical and uninformed people of the world.
All their arguments are based on misguided "feelings", not fact.

In fact "IMHO", they should closely examine their own lifestyles and beliefs before becoming a"Social Justice Warrior".

IMHO, if you are going to strongly voice opinions like this, you should have the deep down conviction that it's "all or nothing" for you, and you are as "clean and pure as the driven snow" before condemning other people.
Didn't Jesus have something to say about that kind of behavior?

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 01-14-2016 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 11:22 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
It has coyote fur collar.
Coyotes are considered the lowest of the low by most rural Oregon residents.
In fact, Harney County is hosting their annual coyote shoot right now.
Coyotes even eat eat cats and small dogs in suburban areas.

"What's the saying, ah yes that's it.... "Only dumb animals wear fur coats".
No disrespect to you but robing your self in a dead animal is just wrong, IMHO."

As far as the above "opinion":

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
Bertrand Russell

“If you're going to say what you want to say, you're going to hear what you don't want to hear.”
Roberto Bolaño, The Insufferable Gaucho

In My humble Opinion (IMHO) animal activists of the above ilk are among the most hypocritical and uninformed people of the world.
All their arguments are based on misguided "feelings", not fact.

In fact "IMHO", they should closely examine their own lifestyles and beliefs before becoming a"Social Justice Warrior".

IMHO, if you are going to strongly voice opinions like this, you should have the deep down conviction that it's "all or nothing" for you, and you are as "clean and pure as the driven snow" before condemning other people.
Didn't Jesus have something to say about that kind of behavior?
Thanks for setting me straight Mike, you are a great guy and so totally right. Of course I was so stupid to post a opinion that might in some way be contrary to your view of the world, apologies for that, I really don't know what I was I thinking.... I also really appreciate the wonderful insight from all those links you posted as well, that's way out and really added to the conversation. Much appreciated!

Last edited by timfountain; 01-14-2016 at 11:31 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 09:41 AM

All your sarcasm aside, it IS a very touchy subject and people have strong opinions about it either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland