Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:59 AM

31 posts, read 124,248 times

Advertisements

For those who are considering moving to Portland and are scared off by the weather, have a look at the 10 day forecast below. Many people are in fact negatively affected by the weather here, but I have found the talk of "gloom and doom" to be highly over-exaggerated. It is not dark and raining here for 9 months of the year. This particular forecast may not be typical in winter, but it does indeed happen. When one looks for the brighter side, it is there! If one constantly focuses on the negative, it is there as well.

10-Day Forecast

[CENTER]NEW: Larger Radar Maps & No Ads[/CENTER]
High /
Low (°F)
Precip. % Today
Jan 13 AM Clouds / PM Sun 50°/38° 0 % Mon
Jan 14 PM Showers / Wind 48°/33° 50 % Tue
Jan 15 Partly Cloudy 44°/31° 20 % Wed
Jan 16 Partly Cloudy 44°/34° 10 % Thu
Jan 17 Partly Cloudy 49°/35° 10 % Fri
Jan 18 Partly Cloudy 48°/35° 10 % Sat
Jan 19 Mostly Cloudy 48°/38° 10 % Sun
Jan 20 Showers 45°/36° 60 % Mon
Jan 21 Scattered Showers 43°/27° 60 % Tue
Jan 22 Partly Cloudy 39°/32° 0 %
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 03:17 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Sounds wonderful to this New Yorker who is dreading the arrival of a predicted snowstorm tonight.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:28 PM

31 posts, read 182,344 times
I live in the Valley of the Sun so to get my cloudy day fix I go to the webcams in Oregon-------nice and sunny there today though. TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

Old 01-13-2008, 05:29 PM

26 posts, read 144,897 times
Give me a break. Portland is dark and gloomy most of the winter. You might get a break every once in a while but it's still mostly cloudy.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:06 PM

31 posts, read 124,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn1221 View Post
Give me a break. Portland is dark and gloomy most of the winter. You might get a break every once in a while but it's still mostly cloudy.
Thank you for proving my original point: if you focus on the negative, that's all you see. Is the "give me a break" comment necessary? Just dropping a little positive reality in the mix.

Note that I didn't say this was typical for winter, but it DOES happen.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn1221 View Post
It's maybe possible that some people are gloomy and see things that way. Sure Portland gets some gloom. It's sure not the only city that way.

It's gloomy some here at the coast but the next few days we are expecting some sunny weather. That happens during winter as well as the gloom.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:45 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
It always cracks me up to see the weather getting defended as vigorously as any political point. The point is hours of real sun hitting the ground. 8 or 9 months of the year Portland's sunlight is filtered through some sort of cloud cover most days. Its not a crime, just the way it is. I worked outside last few years in Portland. I loved the really cold clear days that brought the sun. Even with the wind chill dropping into the teens it sure beat 34 and drizzle any day. Get some goretex and go out and play. The truth isn't negative, it is what it is. Born and raised in Portland, and a resident for over 40 years. You get used to it, or you move.

Squidlo

Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Well today certainly was beautiful! We spent three hours at the park and my kid had a blast! If anyone has a kid who likes to skate board (or ride a scooter) the new(ish) park on SW Capitol Hwy--Holly Farms, has a great skateboard area and an excellent large circular pathway for riding scooters and bikes. I sat on the bench in the sun and relaxed while my kid wore himself out

Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
It always cracks me up to see the weather getting defended as vigorously as any political point. The point is hours of real sun hitting the ground. 8 or 9 months of the year Portland's sunlight is filtered through some sort of cloud cover most days. Its not a crime, just the way it is.
Squidlo

I think it becomes an issue because people believe that it is actually gray and dark (and raining) 9 months of the year here. I don't care if the sun is filtered or not, it's not raining and gray 9 months of the year. It's certainly not Arizona and if you want hot bright sun all year then Portland is certainly not the place for you, but the idea that we don't see the sun for 9 months of a year is a myth that people enjoy harping on.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:02 AM

31 posts, read 153,301 times
I've lived in five regions of the US, and I can say without question the Pacific NW has some serious winter darkness. The last couple days and the forecast for the next week are a blessed relief after weeks upon weeks of fairly constant cloudiness. I think it's fair to be open with people asking about how it is...now not everyone has got seasonal affective disorder (like me) and won't be affected as strongly but it's fair to let them know. That said out of everywhere I've lived I'm liking Portland the best which means for me there are huge positives outside of the weather. See, I'm not so negative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland