Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 05:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,786 posts, read 58,271,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
It is most certainly not dark and gloomy 9 months of the year. I have lived here for over 20 years. Yes it rains quite a bit in the late fall /winter/early spring. But it is not constant 24 hours a day. There are plenty of breaks and sun. We have been having some wonderful sunny days, maybe a little chilly but not bad. ....
35+ yrs for me and I hate it, tho living in the Columbia Gorge helps ... more CLEAR and COLD, VERY cold and windy days and nights (grew up on a ranch in CO and WY 300+ days of sun, & bout that many of HIGH winds too)

As usual... PNW Portland area gets a few one week weather change weeks (winter High Pressure changes) of potential clear and high winds. But... that is only a short reprieve from 280 days with Cloud cover and REALLY dark dreary nights.

As a farm / ranch kid I spend ZERO hours indoors (if possible), so I imagine someone with indoor hobbies, or not having to repair roofs on homes and barns + care for wetness induced diseases in Plants and animals, nor laying under the equipment fishing for parts in the mud... might have a different POV.

Suits many (and that is a very good thing, especially for the blossoming homeless population. )

Enjoy, July 5th is coming.

I travel a lot and am always amazed at how bright and clear the nights are eleswhere, such as NZ in Dec!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 06:59 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,658,678 times
Default It is what it is

I replied to this thread in its infancy. Now it has grown older I can add one more observation. When it comes to hours of sun, Summer days are long with lots of sun. Winter daylight is short.

I currently live in Houston, Texas. Being further south I have noticed the hours of light are a little more balanced.

(Yes it is hot and muggy here 5 or so months a year. The rest of the year is tolerable sometimes even pleasant. Not better just different.)

Portland weather is part of why the scenery is what it is. Lots of water and lots of green. Dense ferny forests and lush farmlands in the valley.

If you cannot handle a few weeks of gray in a row. Portland is not for you.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:51 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,471,344 times
I love cold sunny days, but what bothers me is that the winter sun sits so low on the horizon.
It makes a difference.

It feels like you have a lot more light when the sun is up high.
Plus, in the wintertime, the sun is always in your eyes.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I love cold sunny days, but what bothers me is that the winter sun sits so low on the horizon.
It makes a difference.

It feels like you have a lot more light when the sun is up high.
Plus, in the wintertime, the sun is always in your eyes.
I worked down at terminal 4 outside. I agree the cold clear days are best. The sun would get behind the hills shortening an already short day. Went to work in the dark went home in the dark. December and January this was the case, obviously less hours of light due to the sun southern position during that time. Add some clouds to the mix....

I beat most of that by being active at work and having a routine that did not depend on light or weather.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:24 PM

199 posts, read 218,818 times
Portland's weather is fine. This year we got LOTS of sunny days. It was sunny almost every day from May to end of October and we even got 10-12 sunny days as late as December. I remember it being more cloudy and more rainy in the past so maybe our climate is changing too along with the rest of the world.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
Portland's weather is fine. This year we got LOTS of sunny days. It was sunny almost every day from May to end of October and we even got 10-12 sunny days as late as December. I remember it being more cloudy and more rainy in the past so maybe our climate is changing too along with the rest of the world.
Climate change on a positive note? Portland weather does vary some. The gray is always a part of it. I lived in Portland for over 40 years. Thinking the climate will change (for the better?) in our lifetime is a dream.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:38 PM

731 posts, read 680,923 times
What is the daylight length on the winter solstice in Portland? What is it in Austin Texas, which is the same latitude of Cairo Egypt?

Old 12-26-2017, 09:11 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,863,199 times
Most of the climate change models I have seen for the west coast, and in the PNW in particular, call for wider swings in weather - rainier rainy periods, drier dry periods, warmer warm periods (with warmer nights), more temp extremes. Since agriculture is one of our biggest products, that won't be a good thing.

The big high pressure ridge that has been stationed off the coast here has meant that we (Southern Oregon, not the Portland metro area) have had 0.51" of rain in December, usually our wettest month, when our long-term average is close to 4".

Old 12-26-2017, 10:56 PM

810 posts, read 854,793 times
can't complain too much about the weather so far. Would of liked a little more snow on Christmas. My home town got blasted and made me wish I had gone home this year. They are breaking all kinds of records

Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 PM

29 posts, read 21,631 times
Agree with Hockeygirl063.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland