Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:39 AM

16 posts, read 23,976 times

Advertisements

If anyone is still following this thread, I would love some advice. I'm considering a job with Intel but would be moving to the area from Las Vegas, NV. I lived in Albany, OR previously so am experiencing a little "sticker shot" seeing the prices for both rent and owning a home near Hillsboro, and this may be a dealbreaker for me, ugh. I really want to get out of Nevada but I don't want to be strapped as a result! I can only afford $300k max but don't want a condo/townhouse (I have dogs and need a yard) or a "fixer-upper". I also do not plan to have a roommate. Any ideas of reasonable areas that aren't crappy and are a reasonable commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 07:56 AM

170 posts, read 311,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetie60 View Post
If anyone is still following this thread, I would love some advice. I'm considering a job with Intel but would be moving to the area from Las Vegas, NV. I lived in Albany, OR previously so am experiencing a little "sticker shot" seeing the prices for both rent and owning a home near Hillsboro, and this may be a dealbreaker for me, ugh. I really want to get out of Nevada but I don't want to be strapped as a result! I can only afford $300k max but don't want a condo/townhouse (I have dogs and need a yard) or a "fixer-upper". I also do not plan to have a roommate. Any ideas of reasonable areas that aren't crappy and are a reasonable commute?
For $300k in Hillsboro, you're mostly looking at fixers or condos. The single family homes that go up for $275-300k that are liveable usually sell for higher. My suggestion is to up your budget $25-50k and you should be fine.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosicman View Post
For $300k in Hillsboro, you're mostly looking at fixers or condos. The single family homes that go up for $275-300k that are liveable usually sell for higher. My suggestion is to up your budget $25-50k and you should be fine.
I can put a chunk of cash down so that will help....plus I have to see for sure what salary Intel will be offering...I've checked on Glassdoor and there is a wide range reported for the position I'm being considered for. I just want to be really prepared before I accept anything. I think I will be happier in Oregon since I LOVE the outdoors and really miss that, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner with a huge mortgage payment. Thanks for your input!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:48 PM

38 posts, read 32,551 times
Quote:
Do you have a firm offer Intel?

I feel the slide at Intel started around 2011 and is now worst in post layoff 2017. There was a hiring freeze at Intel fro permanent work, but there were plenty of contingent workers temp jobs, now I hardly hear about Intel temp jobs as a technician. If there activity in the tech field its a few code monkeys in a 40 person downtown Portland Office. My studio rent in 2007 was round $680 a month and has not changed much, now it is $980 after two consecutive $100 increases in the last two years.

I did by Unemployment screening on Friday 17 mar 2017, i was the fourth person that day who told the counselor the same story: Ex Intel, unemployed and soon to be homeless.
It will be hard to find a single occupancy house near Intel because of land use policy that mandates higher density multi unit dwellings. Evens single occupancy like Orenco Station dose not have yards or a 12ft by 4 foot patch in front.

Portland High tech is not the opportunity that it was: do come if you want to end up working at Home depot and living in your car.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM

119 posts, read 156,130 times
Scatcat, I agree that Intel and the Portland metro area are in decline. Both are nasty. Do yourself a favor and get out of Oregon. The dark, dank weather casts a depressing pall over everything. You'll see a new dawn somewhere else.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
I can put a chunk of cash down so that will help....plus I have to see for sure what salary Intel will be offering...I've checked on Glassdoor and there is a wide range reported for the position I'm being considered for. I just want to be really prepared before I accept anything. I think I will be happier in Oregon since I LOVE the outdoors and really miss that, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner with a huge mortgage payment. Thanks for your input!
You might be competing with people who will plunk down the entire price in cash. It happens. A friend of mine was offered around $500,000 for her small three bedroom bungalow in Portland's Fremont neighborhood, cash. And that was something like five years ago. She didn't accept the offer because as she said, wherever she might have moved would cost her that and more if she wanted to remain a homeowner in Portland or the Portland area.

I don't think her experience is unusual.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:52 PM

Yeesh, none of this is encouraging. Especially now that I've heard that houses are grabbed off the market (for above comp values) as soon as they hit. I can't compete with that. I do not have an offer yet (or even an interview YET, but have been in touch with the recruiter this week), but want to be ready to know what direction to go in case it comes -- and I do feel they have a strong interest in me, I was a wafer fab tech at HP Corvallis for several years and we don't grow on trees . I didn't even apply; I had just posted my resume on Indeed and 2 days later heard from the recruiter. I have since submitted my application, etc. She is going to call me for a prescreen, etc., on Monday. I have done the research and this would be a place that would feel familiar and comfortable and I have the experience going for me. After giving the housing issue more thought, I think instead of looking for a house to buy, I will keep my house in Las Vegas and rent it out for a little more than my monthly payment including everything, then rent in Hillsboro or that area if I get hired. But they are going to have to give me a pretty sweet deal, I know what salary to expect but if medical is paid and they give nice bonuses, that would help too. I only owe under $128k on my house here, so come retirement time, I should have it paid off. But taking a $300k mortgage in Oregon -- um, no thank you. So even though I wouldn't own a home in Oregon, I can save money by renting but still be putting equity into my NV home. Does that make sense? That's the best scheme I could come up with. I am really squeamish about making a house payment double what I pay now!!!!

Old 03-18-2017, 11:23 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
Quote:
So even though I wouldn't own a home in Oregon, I can save money by renting but still be putting equity into my NV home. Does that make sense? That's the best scheme I could come up with. I am really squeamish about making a house payment double what I pay now!!!!
Yes, it does make sense, if you indeed get a job offer, and salary enough to pay mortgage in Nevada and rent in Oregon.

Come over and take a look. In Nevada you may be dreaming of the green Oregon, but reality is a little different.
There are great outdoors there, but the climate is not conductive to outdoor activities for much of the year.
Some will say "we have Goretex, and just do it in the rain".
Well, not quite. Even hiking, the activity least affected by rain is not fun if it's pouring on you, Goretex or not.
And after 30 or 40 minutes on a bicycle in a rain, you will be miserable, no matter how well prepared you are (speaking from 20 years of bicycle commuting in Portland)

Furthermore, it gets worse, not better with time.
In the first few years, you will say "I don't mind the rain because it makes the landscape so green"
Spend enough rainy seasons here and you will start thinking "another 8 months of rain and I will go postal". That will be the point where you are ready to move, back to Nevada or anywhere.
Then you will be glad you have a home to come back to.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:42 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Yes, it does make sense, if you indeed get a job offer, and salary enough to pay mortgage in Nevada and rent in Oregon.

Come over and take a look. In Nevada you may be dreaming of the green Oregon, but reality is a little different.
There are great outdoors there, but the climate is not conductive to outdoor activities for much of the year.
Some will say "we have Goretex, and just do it in the rain".
Well, not quite. Even hiking, the activity least affected by rain is not fun if it's pouring on you, Goretex or not.
And after 30 or 40 minutes on a bicycle in a rain, you will be miserable, no matter how well prepared you are (speaking from 20 years of bicycle commuting in Portland)

Furthermore, it gets worse, not better with time.
In the first few years, you will say "I don't mind the rain because it makes the landscape so green"
Spend enough rainy seasons here and you will start thinking "another 8 months of rain and I will go postal". That will be the point where you are ready to move, back to Nevada or anywhere.
Then you will be glad you have a home to come back to.
I laughed reading this because as I write... it is beautiful and sunny outside but I am on the couch with a strain of norovirus. In March the schools are spreading viruses like crazy. My kids' classes have empty seats this time of the year and the poor teachers.😩 So yeah, even when it starts being less grey outside many people are sick or getting allergies. Every late spring is hell for me or a family member. Something to really consider before moving here if "being outdoors" is a priority.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:00 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Quote:
Yeesh, none of this is encouraging. Especially now that I've heard that houses are grabbed off the market (for above comp values) as soon as they hit. I can't compete with that. I do not have an offer yet (or even an interview YET, but have been in touch with the recruiter this week), but want to be ready to know what direction to go in case it comes -- and I do feel they have a strong interest in me, I was a wafer fab tech at HP Corvallis for several years and we don't grow on trees . I didn't even apply; I had just posted my resume on Indeed and 2 days later heard from the recruiter. I have since submitted my application, etc. She is going to call me for a prescreen, etc., on Monday. I have done the research and this would be a place that would feel familiar and comfortable and I have the experience going for me. After giving the housing issue more thought, I think instead of looking for a house to buy, I will keep my house in Las Vegas and rent it out for a little more than my monthly payment including everything, then rent in Hillsboro or that area if I get hired. But they are going to have to give me a pretty sweet deal, I know what salary to expect but if medical is paid and they give nice bonuses, that would help too. I only owe under $128k on my house here, so come retirement time, I should have it paid off. But taking a $300k mortgage in Oregon -- um, no thank you. So even though I wouldn't own a home in Oregon, I can save money by renting but still be putting equity into my NV home. Does that make sense? That's the best scheme I could come up with. I am really squeamish about making a house payment double what I pay now!!!!
keeping the house you already own seems like a good plan- and you can still explore Oregon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland