Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,346,012 times

Advertisements

This whole idea is seems to be a lot of poorly thought out foolishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 22,768 times
I really appreciate all the positive feedback and answers to the specific questions I've asked. To clarify a few things brought up in some of the posts, I do, in fact, drive a Fusion hybrid and don't wish to be a "resource hog". I've looked into public transportation, as well, as that is my preference. If that is possible, I will make it work. In terms of "poorly thought out foolishness", I'm not really following you there. If anything, this is well thought out foolishness. I've put a lot of time an energy into researching the feasibility of this, hence I'm here on this forum. The reason we're considering this is because I was hired by a Portland based site to work in Salem. There is opportunity to transfer to the Portland site in the future (likely a few years). I'm in a very small profession, so there aren't a lot of opportunities in Portland itself or elsewhere for that matter, and I really love the organization I'm employed with. My partner will be working remotely, so her commute is non-existent. We both are paid well for what we do so the price of gas, train, or bus is not a major concern. The bottom line is we would like to start our family in Portland. Thanks again to those of you who have given me great information to consider!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,152,331 times
Best of luck ... I hope it all works out great for you, and that Portland is all you're looking for.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,073,045 times
Good luck to you. IMHO, if you're not going to start a family right away, rent, but enjoy the city. But when you want to start a family, I'd seriously consider moving closer. I'm not sure what your work day/week would look like, but I work a typical 8-5/M-F job, but with my commute, I am out of the house for 11 hours. I am totally neglecting my dog; I feel like a bad dog mom.

I'm sure you're thinking about that too.....as you seem very thorough, but I'm throwing it out there too. Yes you want to start a family, but just remember how much of your life you're going to waste away in the commute.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,940,062 times
I don't know which is scarier, the fact that Steve and I are in agreement more and more each day, or, that even in 2014, so many otherwise intelligent and thoughtful people don't seem to get just how much of a pickle humanity is in. Children. A family... that implies a hoped for continuity of some kind for our species, yes? Hmmmm. The first oil well was drilled ~1860. Often enough in those days you didn't even have to drill. The stuff just kind of bubbled up to the surface. Oil wells are no longer being drilled. Oil is now mined. Do you think the Deep Water Horizon was floating in 10,000' of ocean because it's fun to mine for oil in out of the way places? So... go ahead. Squander the stuff. What's left of it. Our children will do what, exactly for energy? All the existing infrastructure is built to use oil and they aren't going to be able to develop anything else because... that's another thread in itself. Individual actions matter. A Ford Fusion hybrid does not get better than ~40mpg. There are European diesels getting 65+mpg. But really, until we are netting ~100mpg there really isn't anything to brag about. The next and final world war will be over oil. Or water. We don't have long to figure out a way to not be dependent on the dwindling natural supplies of either. I'm serious. There are as few as 20 years before our military sequesters half of the available pump gas in the name of National Security. That will mean $10.00/gal for regular on the days when your lottery number allow you to purchase it. Just the other day when prices spiked to $5.00/gal. there were a number of deaths due to conflicts directly related to the price and/or unavailability of gasoline. Individual actions do matter.

H

Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,940,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Good luck to you. IMHO, if you're not going to start a family right away, rent, but enjoy the city. But when you want to start a family, I'd seriously consider moving closer. I'm not sure what your work day/week would look like, but I work a typical 8-5/M-F job, but with my commute, I am out of the house for 11 hours. I am totally neglecting my dog; I feel like a bad dog mom.

I'm sure you're thinking about that too.....as you seem very thorough, but I'm throwing it out there too. Yes you want to start a family, but just remember how much of your life you're going to waste away in the commute.
Yes, there is that too, but the American model is for at least one parent to take it on the chin and be a primary bread-winner whose sole function is to make as much money as he (usually) can, even if it means being unable to participate in any other aspect of family life. It is very possible that the sole factor accounting for the difference in divorce rates between America and other First World Countries is this country's fascination with long commutes to m-f/8-4 corporate type employment.

H

Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 PM

Although some of that seemed a little off topic to this particular post and my original question, I can see where you're coming from @Leisesturm. Something to note, shaming other people is a completely ineffective way to promote changes in attitudes and behavior. Brene Brown has extensive published research on the subject if you're interested in learning more.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:20 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,633,356 times
I love Brene Brown!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,152,331 times
Quite frankly ... I grew up in a two-parent family, with a father who worked a 9-5 day, and was always home by 6. I wasn't deprived of my father's presence. Mornings? I'm not sure who was there. I was too busy dragging my butt out of bed, eating, and getting off to school. So it would seem to me that an earlier start time, arriving home well before 6 is in no way indicative of any sort of neglect. It's just not.

In today's world, the neglect I see from parents seems more to come when their social lives seem to take precedence over their family lives.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:51 AM

@oldtintype, she is great and such a dynamic speaker! And I agree, @EnricoV. In an effort to avoid turning this into a comment section of a Yahoo "news" article, I'll be brief. My hours will be 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. I would be home even before 6, so at the very least, minimize the neglect Our current "social life" consists of spoiling our 3 shelter dogs. This is another reason the SW area is appealing. Large yards and more space. You know those 3 Chihuahuas (with their collective 20 pounds of body weight) need a lot of room to run around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland