Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times

Advertisements

It makes absolutely no sense not to advocate for light rail (or public transport in general) across the river. Nope, they don't want to pay for it but things are NOT.GOING.TO.GET.BETTER. It just amazes me that they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

I live right by 405 and I watch the traffic that just crawls north in the evenings and I can't believe people really believe that being against public transport to Washington is even slightly intelligent.

The part that irritates me is that I live in Portland, yet I can't go anywhere north of where I live during commute times because it's not only 5, it's interstate, MLK, etc. that gets backed up with all the people going to washington. It will eventually paralyze all northern arteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
It makes absolutely no sense not to advocate for light rail (or public transport in general) across the river. Nope, they don't want to pay for it but things are NOT.GOING.TO.GET.BETTER. It just amazes me that they keep shooting themselves in the foot.
Many are afraid that it would cause an increase in crime such as this in Vancouver. :
Gangs and crime ride into town on MAX, survey finds | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon
That's why they don't want light rail.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Many are afraid that it would cause an increase in crime such as this in Vancouver. :
Gangs and crime ride into town on MAX, survey finds | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon
It's more so that crime is just getting higher on the eastside of Multnomah County and some that spills over into Clackamas County, because that's where the poorer residents of Portland end up these days with the gentrification of inner NE/N Portland.

There wasn't an increase in crime on N Interstate and in surrounding neighborhoods like Overlook, Arbor Lodge, and Kenton after the Yellow Line was built--in fact crime dropped in North Portland since it started running almost a decade ago. The reason though had not so much just to do with the MAX and more so that Interstate got cleaned up as the area got gentrified and some of the low-rent motels got torn down and the surrounding areas became pricier.

There's crime near MAX on the eastside because there's crime all over those areas--you can find areas of Powell or Division far from any MAX lines in outer SE that have a sketchy vibe and higher crime rates theses days. The idea that criminals just solely pick an area based on if they can get there on the MAX is funny.

Last edited by Deezus; 01-12-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM

70 posts, read 212,232 times
"I" stands for interstate I believe.... anyone feel free to correct me.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:56 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
If Washington doesn't want it, then perhaps the state should invest that money in better connecting the area on this side of the river. It's not as if the road to Washington is the only traffic mess we have. Both 26 and 217 are complete disasters in the evening. I for one would be happy to see the money used to improve either the highways or public transit connecting Portland to the areas west of downtown.

Commuters from Washington can enjoy the satisfaction of not paying while they stew in traffic, and commuters in Oregon can enjoy better traffic flow and increased economic development on this side of the border.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 01-12-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If Washington doesn't want it, then perhaps the state should invest that money in better connecting the area on this side of the river. It's not as if the road to Washington is the only traffic mess we have. Both 26 and 217 are complete disasters in the evening. I for one would be happy to see the money used to improve either the highways or public transit connecting Portland to the areas west of downtown.

Commuters from Washington can enjoy the satisfaction of not paying while they stew in traffic, and commuters in Oregon can enjoy better traffic flow and increased economic development on this side of the border.
Yeah, I'm all for that. They don't want to pay for it, they don't want light rail, they don't want tolls, let's keep Oregon's money in Oregon. I use I-5 or 205 north over the Columbia maybe twice a month max, I could care less...

Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Oh, please. they don't want it because they're cheap. That's why they all (the commuters) live in Vancouver in the first place ... they think that means they don't have to pay as many taxes.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Quote:
Well, that's too bad. It's reality that the roads can't handle more traffic. They can make light rail (or some other form of public transportation) work, or they can stop driving into Portland.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:54 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
The part that irritates me is that I live in Portland, yet I can't go anywhere north of where I live during commute times because it's not only 5, it's interstate, MLK, etc. that gets backed up with all the people going to washington. It will eventually paralyze all northern arteries.
Not just those roads. It can affect every major road in town. The only real way to fix it would be to continue 217 north and make a third river crossing. CRC never will, even with the addition of Light Rail and more lanes.

Even then, it'd still only be a temporary fix.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
I agree with hamellr that the number of river crossings is a significant issue. Ideally you'd have a viable westside bypass up to longview for through traffic n/s, as well as a bridge further east. As is the road layout forces gorge/Gresham/eastPdx traffic that's northbound to come all the way into the snarl around the airport before turning north. The next nearest bridge is 50 miles upstream. Commuting from Troutdale to Camas, it can be 30+ minutes at rush despite being 2 miles as the crow flies. And it's not just that those people are inconvenienced - they're adding to the mass bogging down the system.

205 isn't quite as bad as I-5, but it's getting pretty bad. The bigger problem with 205 is arguably local - slow 205 creates backup on all the local roads with on-ramps which aren't well designed to handle that amount of volume backing up, and suddenly you have log-jams on 30-bypass, etc.

Personally I'm not convinced light rail will actually solve the I-5 congestion problem by itself. It would be one thing if Vanc-Pdx commuters all lived downtown and could walk to a single light rail station, but they're scattered. I don't see an obvious place to build a transit station that could be convenient/central enough and provide enough parking unless you repurpose the Fort grounds or something. For the cost, you'd arguably be better off with an express bus lane across the bridge and busing people to one of the existing MAX stops from multiple stations around Vanc (downtown, Cascade Park, etc.). And then you'd have less sunk cost if ridership didn't pan out - much easier to repurpose a traffic lane than light rail line.

The big issues with I-5 are that a) it carries too much through-traffic load for lack of viable bypass options, and b) the layout is horrible. In the 5 or so miles from I-405 to 14 you have essentially 13 off-ramps and 10 on-ramps (each direction). The inefficiency of local traffic merging back and forth is a big part of the problem, particularly when compounded with the fact that it's still the primary route for a sizable bulk of through-traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland