Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,539,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
I have another question and I'm sure many of you will HATE it but do you see Portland "building up" any time soon?

Yes similar to Seattle and other big cities. It seems like most are discovering the PNW these days so I was wondering what are future plans for Portland like to handle the population in the future. It would not be a bad thing entirely.
Portland will continue to build more high density residential development around downtown--basically the Pearl District is almost built out but there's still some room on the far north end. I can see Goose Hollow being built up as well, and the South Waterfront and PSU areas will see some more development as the market allows. The South Waterfront has rightfully been considered a bust but eventually some day there will be more of a demand in that area. The Portland condo market sort of go overbuilt during the boom years from 2004-2009 or so...rental demand has come back strong though in the period after that.

On the other hand increased density on the Eastside is always a tricky issue. In part because a: People don't want to see historic properties removed and b: There's not a lot of vacant lots. You're dealing with old street car suburbs that don't have much room to add new infrastructure in terms of new transit or parking--and the lots in Portland are fairly small. A place like N Williams which was full of vacant lots just a few years ago has been built up in the last year with condos and new commercial buildings.

But the infill on the eastside is pretty small scale compared to even Seattle. They will build scattered 4-6 story buildings among some of the main commercial arteries, but even that will be limited. The biggest issue is that there isn't a good parking situation in these neighborhoods and developers have gotten away with building structures with little or no parking. And you're going to be limited to bus transit in these areas--as well as the fact that there isn't a lot of larger boulevards to handle inner crosstown traffic.

Portland isn't a dense city on the level with somewhere like San Francisco on the eastside of town, but you're dealing with neighborhoods that we're developed pre-automobile--with tight streets and so on though the housing stock is a mix of Craftsmans and older homes, older apartments, and some newer developments. Actually much of Seattle is like this as well--it's mostly a similar style of development once you get outside of the urban core of Seattle(downtown/Belltown, Capitol Hill, and Queen Anne) with a few outliers like the U District or Fremont--but in general Seattle's quieter residential neighborhoods aren't that different than Portland. The inner core feels denser in part because Seattle has always been more aggressive in terms of development--South Lake Union is going to be a much different neighborhood that's just being built up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Safeway is doing a similar upgrade to the store on SW Barbur.

The old Safeway on 82nd that was a complete dump(the most "Un-Safe" way in town) was sold out and was turned into an Asian grocery to open soon. I think Safeway has had trouble competing in a town full of Fred Meyers on one end and high-end places like New Seasons on the other...
I agree about the one on 82nd. That was awful. The one on Hawthorne was fine except way to small for the growing number of customers. With the combination of 150 new apartments in the new buildings I doubt it will want for customers.

It isn't cheap though. Fred's is a better deal. But Safeway is only a block and a half from me and right outside where the bus lets me off so they have my business. I still shop at Fred's too. I like the fact that Kroger's allowed Fred's to still look like Fred's even with the remodel.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,634,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Portland will continue to build more high density residential development around downtown--basically the Pearl District is almost built out but there's still some room on the far north end. nt--South Lake Union is going to be a much different neighborhood that's just being built up.
North end is being heavily build on right now. Two buildings in progress, three in planning and then there are two or three more block lots (empty) left after those. Then there are at least three full city blocks with old warehouses on them that will probably go soon. There's also a three story climbing gym going up at 14th and Quimby. So lots of room left but within five years I'll bet it's full.

Then of course there's the Conway land between the Pearl and NW 23rd--17 acres and something like 2500 houses, a park, a grocery store, etc. planned.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:54 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,544,820 times
What is "Conway land?" Also, I didn't know there was development in the Northwest Industrial area.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:03 PM

892 posts, read 1,594,272 times
Conway land is a big block of land owned by Conway Transportation that they're having developed into mixed use. It's mostly just parking lots right now.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:47 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Conway land is a big block of land owned by Conway Transportation that they're having developed into mixed use. It's mostly just parking lots right now.
And former site of the 1905 Lewis and Clark Exhibition!

Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 AM

42 posts, read 80,814 times
It's funny, I picked up a 1972 Portland Chamber of Commerce magazine a couple weeks ago at a estate sale. The front photo is of a large tree in a forest and throughout the magazine the main theme was indeed lumber and other industries. Of course the port was also emphasized a lot. And the kicker is that on the full page ad enticing people to join and advertise with the commerce, in order from top to bottom it pictured a woman with a push up bikini with mega cleavage (I am not kidding), a ship going through the port, a picture of a still unfinished First Interstate tower behind Forecourt fountain, and men felling a tree. So yes, Portland was indeed a blue collar town back then and I think now it is trying hard to cover up it's past but with little success.

The problem is that nothing has really replaced those kinds of jobs except for government and service jobs. And small business entrepreneurs who might hire a few people here and there but cannot come close to the number of jobs that heavy industry provide. I blame a combination of outsourcing, rigid regulations and old infrastructure, and environmental nuts who might have good intentions but in reality are standing in the way of good jobs.

Last edited by doity; 06-18-2013 at 01:49 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 04:42 AM

25 posts, read 38,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doity View Post
The problem is that nothing has really replaced those kinds of jobs except for government and service jobs. And small business entrepreneurs who might hire a few people here and there but cannot come close to the number of jobs that heavy industry provide. I blame a combination of outsourcing, rigid regulations and old infrastructure, and environmental nuts who might have good intentions but in reality are standing in the way of good jobs.
Heavy Industry is steadily moving towards automation. More robotics, which requires fewer workers, yielding more profit for companies.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,449,461 times
Quote:
in order from top to bottom it pictured a woman with a push up bikini with mega cleavage (I am not kidding),
That was very likely in reference to Jantzen Swimwear. At the time they were one of the biggest employers in Portland due to the number of garment workers they employed.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Quote:
It's funny, I picked up a 1972 Portland Chamber of Commerce magazine a couple weeks ago at a estate sale. The front photo is of a large tree in a forest and throughout the magazine the main theme was indeed lumber and other industries. Of course the port was also emphasized a lot. And the kicker is that on the full page ad enticing people to join and advertise with the commerce, in order from top to bottom it pictured a woman with a push up bikini with mega cleavage (I am not kidding), a ship going through the port, a picture of a still unfinished First Interstate tower behind Forecourt fountain, and men felling a tree. So yes, Portland was indeed a blue collar town back then and I think now it is trying hard to cover up it's past but with little success.

Just on the news the other day they were saying that Portland has 98% small business employers. That seems like a lot. I used to work for one of the larger employers, Standard Insurance, which had 2,000 employees at one time. Now it's under 1,000 due to outsourcing and consolidating and contracting. They have closed many branch offices all over the US as well.

People decry the coming of big box stores and I can certainly understand that. I have heard some bemoan the opening of the new downtown Target simply because it is "big box." But I think this particular big box store serves a need both for jobs and consumers. It replaces a more local variety store of its type that has been needed I think for a long time as well. Sometimes you have to look beyond the big box and realize that you need a combination of both small and big business if a city is going to survive.

BTW, I doubt Portland is trying to cover up that it ever was blue collar. Who would be covering that up and why would they care? Like someone said, the bikini lady was probably from a Janzen swimsuit ad and the rest represented other industries here. I never heard anyone say otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland