Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

I'm soooooooooo excited!

Since I found out we could stay at Lake Tahoe dirt cheap, I splurged for Yosemite Lodge at the Falls!!!!

Thank you so much for mentioning Tahoe. It wasn't even on my radar!

I've made reservations for the following:

1 night near the airport, 2 nights in Big Sur, 2 nights in Yosemite, 2 nights in Lake Tahoe, and 1 night in wine country.

Now I'm deciding between 1 or 2 nights in the Redwood Forest and exactly what to do in Oregon.

Finally I can focus my full attention on the Oregon part of the trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 PM

131 posts, read 277,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We have always had much more Fun at Lake Tahoe, then Hearst Castle. All i liked at Hearst are the Pools & Gardens. The rest i didn't realy care for...

Emerald Bay is very B eautiful. Years ago, on a whim, i often drove my 1966 Corvette StingRay 427 (4speed) from Monterey to Tahoe. I always enjoyed driving around the lake & stopping at spots. Sometimes i went fishin', or gambling, etc.

Emerald Bay - Lake Tahoe

I completely agree. I would skip Hearst. BTW, if you decide to go to Esalen, you'll need reservations, especially if it's a full moon. And, I had to check myself--it's now $25 and 1-3 a.m.

Sounds like your on the right track....it's always fun to leave some room for spontaneity, too!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 AM

320 posts, read 417,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I'm taking notes on your Washington suggestions. We're heading up to Seattle, Puget Sound, San Juan Islands area in Sept. Taking the TT and spending two weeks.

I didn't want to discourage Hopes from seeing Hearst Castle, but you make a good point.
I'm jealous! Have a great time. I haven't made it to the San Juan islands yet but hope to soon

Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm soooooooooo excited!

Since I found out we could stay at Lake Tahoe dirt cheap, I splurged for Yosemite Lodge at the Falls!!!!

Thank you so much for mentioning Tahoe. It wasn't even on my radar!

I've made reservations for the following:

1 night near the airport, 2 nights in Big Sur, 2 nights in Yosemite, 2 nights in Lake Tahoe, and 1 night in wine country.

Now I'm deciding between 1 or 2 nights in the Redwood Forest and exactly what to do in Oregon.

Finally I can focus my full attention on the Oregon part of the trip!
Sounds like a blast. Talk about seeing some beautiful places in one trip! IMO, those are pretty much the most beautiful places in California. And to me, Oregon and Washington are even more beautiful! I think the Oregon coast blows California's away. And the first time I drove into the Olympic Peninsula I couldn't stop smiling. It actually made me teary with happiness On a side note, there are several trails in the HOH rainforest. Don't miss the Hall of mosses trail. It's like a green alien planet
Attached Thumbnails
Two Week Road Trip:  What are the "must sees" in Portland and Oregon?-img_1225.jpg   Two Week Road Trip:  What are the "must sees" in Portland and Oregon?-img_1226.jpg  

Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
Sounds like a blast. Talk about seeing some beautiful places in one trip! IMO, those are pretty much the most beautiful places in California. And to me, Oregon and Washington are even more beautiful! I think the Oregon coast blows California's away. And the first time I drove into the Olympic Peninsula I couldn't stop smiling. It actually made me teary with happiness On a side note, there are several trails in the HOH rainforest. Don't miss the Hall of mosses trail. It's like a green alien planet
Beautiful! Are those photographs? They look like paintings!

I've heard the Oregon Coast is the best of the whole trip. That's why I need help!

Focusing just on the coast, what are the best towns to stay at?

I'm looking for cute, quaint, relaxing, scenic, good food, maybe fun stores that aren't tourist stores.

Should I cut back staying at the Redwood Forrest two nights to make an extra night available for the Oregon Coast?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
It's interesting to see someone get so excited about things we Oregonians consider mundane.

Sometimes we need a kick in the pants to remember how good we have it here.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:

I've heard the Oregon Coast is the best of the whole trip. That's why I need help!

I'm looking for cute, quaint, relaxing, scenic, good food, maybe fun stores that aren't tourist stores.

Should I cut back staying at the Redwood Forrest two nights to make an extra night available for the Oregon Coast?
Well, I'm definitely not an expert on the Oregon Coast but I'm sure there are some locals on here that can be of more help to you with that. Personally though I would want to stop in Brookings, Bandon, Coos Bay, Cannon Beach, and Astoria. Stay at least one night on the coast (I'd pick Cannon beach), however it is touristy, but has good restaurants, cute shops, Haystack rock, and Ecola state park. If you spend 2 nights, maybe the first in Coos Bay or Bandon? I'd say the coast is definitely worth at least 2 days though

And yes, those are photographs from the Hall of mosses trail in the HOH rainforest!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:38 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:

Bandon, Florence (Old Town Area,) Lincoln City, and Astoria are my picks. Just keep in mind, that in your time frame, you'll want to grab hotels early in the day due to all the tourist traffic. Or have your itinerary nailed down with reservations.

Almost all of the Coastal Towns, with the exception of Coos Bay, are primarily tourist towns to one extent or another. There are few non-touristy shops in most places other then necessities because all the business is geared towards tourism.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Thanks for a rundown on the towns, PNWdreamin and Hamellr.

My husband will be glad no serious shopping will be happening!

We'll definitely reserve rooms ahead of time.

I'm starting to make reservations for Redwood Forest area and northward today.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:54 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:

I've always like Bandon, Newport, Astoria, Manzanita, Oceanside, Depoe Bay, and Pacific City(the last three of which are pretty small but have nice locations).

Newport is bigger and the old harborfront is fairly touristy, but I like the good seafood spots and real fish and shellfish markets along with the aquarium across the bay.

Oceanside is really pretty as far as location--it reminds me of the coast of Ireland or something, though it's just a few restaurants and bars besides the towns.

Astoria isn't really on the coast, but it's probably the most interesting historical town near the Oregon Coast. Good restaurants and nothing beats having dinner or drinks at a place with a view of the Columbia on a foggy night and watching the ships go by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland