Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,915,617 times

Advertisements

i'm a little bummed, as it's a cookie cutter house in an HOA neighborhood in raleigh hills, so pretty much as un-portland as a house/neighborhood could be. he's not the most flexible guy so character-filled old homes with small rooms and no garages were not striking his fancy.

at least it's temporary. i think i would really like the SE but for now i will have to admire from afar.

our move date should be some time in the 3rd week of march...so i'll be there soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,594,487 times
Thank your lucky stars he found a house to rent even if it doesn't have the character you would like. Raleigh Hills is a nice area.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM

381 posts, read 1,017,535 times
Seconded.

It's better to start out in something 'safe' (for lack of a better term), and then take your time finding just the right place to live long-term.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,486,704 times
My gosh! You found a nice affordable house in a good area and you are complaining? People would kill for that opportunity.

As far as the Raleigh Hills area being "un-Portland" that is ridiculous and maybe just a little bit insulting. That area is unique to Portland and very much a representation of a part of the city. It's been around a long time. And it's also a very pretty part of Portland.

If it's not suitable for you, you will have a better opportunity to find a place in the neighborhood in which you would like to live by already living here.

Sorry to come across so strongly, but it really bugs me when people stereotype this city. It's one thing to say you would rather live in a different neighborhood; that's fine, but it's quite another to say it's "un-Portland."

Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
My gosh! You found a nice affordable house in a good area and you are complaining? People would kill for that opportunity.

As far as the Raleigh Hills area being "un-Portland" that is ridiculous and maybe just a little bit insulting. That area is unique to Portland and very much a representation of a part of the city. It's been around a long time. And it's also a very pretty part of Portland.

If it's not suitable for you, you will have a better opportunity to find a place in the neighborhood in which you would like to live by already living here.

Sorry to come across so strongly, but it really bugs me when people stereotype this city. It's one thing to say you would rather live in a different neighborhood; that's fine, but it's quite another to say it's "un-Portland."
untwist your knickers, i'm not complaining. i didn't say that raleigh hills was un-portland, or that the home was unsuitable, so if you're insulted then i think you are reaching a bit. it's a very nice area. i was hoping to live in an older home a bit closer in, but that didn't happen. tongue in cheek, people!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
untwist your knickers, i'm not complaining. i didn't say that raleigh hills was un-portland, or that the home was unsuitable, so if you're insulted then i think you are reaching a bit. it's a very nice area. i was hoping to live in an older home a bit closer in, but that didn't happen. tongue in cheek, people!
I'll say it's UnPortland. I lived there for a year, and it is much more Beaverton than it is Portland. It completely lacks sidewalks and bike access, has limited transportation, and basically requires a car to survive. Because of these things I deem it UnPortland because these are the things that almost anyone outside of Portland would say Portland has. Yes, those of us that live here, know that the entire city isn't like NW 23rd, Alberta, or around Hawthorne, but those neighborhoods are what MANY think of when they think of being "Portland".

Christine. We got of there after a year and are infinitely happier in the SE. No you won't really find cookie cutter houses (besides the odd tall skinny houses that are being built on people's tiny garage lots. But there are plenty of the "character" houses you are talking about. We bought one. AND it has an attached garage!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 PM

63 posts, read 80,928 times
Quote:
i'm a little bummed, as it's a cookie cutter house in an HOA neighborhood in raleigh hills, so pretty much as un-portland as a house/neighborhood could be. he's not the most flexible guy so character-filled old homes with small rooms and no garages were not striking his fancy.

at least it's temporary. i think i would really like the SE but for now i will have to admire from afar.

our move date should be some time in the 3rd week of march...so i'll be there soon
well i value your opinion and have no motive to tell you how you should feel.... welcome to portland

Old 03-04-2012, 11:17 PM

the funny thing is, if you've ever been to arizona, it's just HOA after HOA and they are extremely restrictive. no clotheslines, no individualism, no character. we've managed to live here for 7 years and avoided HOA's, which isn't as easy to do because they're so omnipresent. and i was so looking forward to the possibility of getting rid of my car, walking everywhere, etc. yes, the stereotypical portland, if you will.

we'll see how long it takes for the HOA to take offense to my own twisted knickers blowing in the breeze, if i can rig up a clothesline. after the rainy season, of course.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 PM

63 posts, read 80,928 times
Quote:
the funny thing is, if you've ever been to arizona, it's just HOA after HOA and they are extremely restrictive. no clotheslines, no individualism, no character. we've managed to live here for 7 years and avoided HOA's, which isn't as easy to do because they're so omnipresent. and i was so looking forward to the possibility of getting rid of my car, walking everywhere, etc. yes, the stereotypical portland, if you will.

we'll see how long it takes for the HOA to take offense to my own twisted knickers blowing in the breeze, if i can rig up a clothesline. after the rainy season, of course.
i've lived in the SE for about a year and a half and am right there w/ you on the importance of being able to walk outside your door and find some fun to get into, but i'm not always ecstatic over the charming little turn of the century bungalow i live in... sure it has character, but also poor insulation, perpetual winter draftiness, lack of central air in the summer, constant upkeep (something is always falling apart), no garage, etc... w/ my next place, i'll probably opt for compromising a little on character if i can find something renovated in the neighborhood...

Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,160,011 times
I grew up in the 'burbs, and Raleigh Hills is very much suburban. Most of my adult life, I've lived in the Inner East Side. And they are very different vibes.

But ... glad you found a place. And welcome to Portland!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland