Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,475,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicjoke View Post
it's all relative i guess, i opt for taking the 14 or 15 over driving downtown all the time, they generally show up on time (using the pdxbus iphone app), i don't really know what more i should expect out of a bus...
I live between these lines and they are probably the best on the SE side of town.

Davemess, what bus line are you on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,914,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Are you the one that might be at OHSU? If so, it's not the best commute (unless you leave and return at precise hours and can make the express bus). Otherwise you pretty much have to go all the way downtown.

We live on a busline in the SE now though, and frankly the service isn't that great. I really think unless you live ON the MAX line you really aren't going to get very convenient or fast transportation anywhere.

Get a bike!
yeah that's me. had my 2nd interview yesterday, things sound promising. from what i can tell, i'd still need a bus even if i took the MAX, right? the house is about a mile away from a park and ride for an express bus along the beaverton hillsdale hwy. if i can, i will try to get in to work early and leave early. my main concern is that i have 2 young kids that will be in daycare, and i don't want to be spending forever on public transportation when i could live somewhere more convenient and pick them up sooner, have time to make dinner, etc.

basically, i need a wife. YES it is very difficult to manage a husband long-distance. he's at nike, so he'll have no issues commuting and apparently nobody in his dept knows of anyone who works at OHSU so he is logistically in the dark. the other day he says to me, "WHY DON'T YOU JUST PARK ON THE HILL?!?!" lol and :-/

Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,585,648 times
Have you put your kids on the child care wait list at NIKE? It is an excellent program.

How are the children getting to and from daycare?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,564,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
yeah that's me. had my 2nd interview yesterday, things sound promising. from what i can tell, i'd still need a bus even if i took the MAX, right? the house is about a mile away from a park and ride for an express bus along the beaverton hillsdale hwy. if i can, i will try to get in to work early and leave early. my main concern is that i have 2 young kids that will be in daycare, and i don't want to be spending forever on public transportation when i could live somewhere more convenient and pick them up sooner, have time to make dinner, etc.

basically, i need a wife. YES it is very difficult to manage a husband long-distance. he's at nike, so he'll have no issues commuting and apparently nobody in his dept knows of anyone who works at OHSU so he is logistically in the dark. the other day he says to me, "WHY DON'T YOU JUST PARK ON THE HILL?!?!" lol and :-/
MAX will really not be practical, you'll need to switch to a bus downtown. I've had coworkers that take that route in from downtown Beaverton and it's usually over an hour each way.
That Express bus is your best bet, as long as you fit with it's schedule. And getting you to OHSU in a timely manner.

I live on the 19 route. It's just a VERY indirect line, looping through all these East Moreland neighborhoods (like many people there seriously take the bus?). I timed us at about 29 mins. from the Ross Island Bridge to my house yesterday, which as the crow flies is about 5-6 miles. And the bus service is only about every 20 mins.
Just looked up my bus commute to work, and for 4 miles it's listed as 49 minutes. I can bike that in 20.

Unless you're going directly downtown, the buses just are not very fast, and TRIMET is going to have a tough time getting more people out of their cars when it takes so much longer to get somewhere using the bus. MAX at least has the benefit of being able to get around traffic jams. But even on MAX they are not running enough cars, and the stops take too long.

We had high hopes for using transit more when we moved here, but really between the time and expense (for two of us it's almost $10 round trip) it just isn't worth it most of the time.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 AM

381 posts, read 1,017,147 times
Wait - what about the bus to the VA Hospital (forgot the route number, but quite a few buses go there)? From there, she can just walk the sky bridge from the VA hospital (on the 2nd floor in the VA) to OHSU (where it puts her on the 9th floor there). Given the massive number of routes that dump off at the VA, it may be easier to go that route. I know at least one of them takes the route along Farmington/B-H Hwy to and from it.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,029,096 times
I think that's the "express bus" they've been referring to - the #61 Beaverton-Marquam Hill line.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 AM

170 posts, read 194,105 times
Wink a possibility!

gypsy doc, i don't think we qualify; i think we make too much money! LOL, same way i don't qualify for food stamps and the like. thanks for your suggestion, i think i'll follow up just to see what "they" say!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,655,974 times
Raleigh Hills is great!
I worked in the area, I love the hills and trees. As far as cookie cutter goes eh.... make the inside yours. You wont be standing on the curb looking at it too often (I hope). I understand the feeling though. I have always lived in older urban areas that have "flavor". I live in a burb now, in a house that looks like a few homes in the area (not exactly but close). I have a HOA. It's honestly one of the nicest places I have ever lived. Its safe and it's quiet.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:40 PM

170 posts, read 194,105 times
i haven't posted here in a while, but i bought a house around ne 162nd and glisan. never thought i would like it, but it is a sleepy little neighborhood tucked away. my house is a "mid-century" built in 1957 and owned by an elderly couple who had to sell. it is gorgeous and tasteful and i couldn't be happier. 3 bed/2 ba, 2700 sq feet, small back yard, low maintenance. i feel truly blessed!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:45 PM

543 posts, read 1,147,116 times
How cool. I live 162nd and Division. almost neighbors.. LOL ... I, too love it over here. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland