Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 05:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,203 times

Advertisements

How plentifull are IT jobs in Portland area? Ok I know the economy is bad and jobs are harder to find everywhere right now. So I don't want the answer that jobs are lacking or unemployment is high because I already figure this. I also realize there are more IT possibilities in Seattle area were we live now. I just want to know if there are atleast decient ammount of IT jobs in Portland that someone with these skills could have enough opportunities to apply for to eventually find work. With graduate school and work experience what are the IT prospects like? Or is IT not in enough demand in Portland to even be worth considering a move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 07:46 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezebelG View Post
How plentifull are IT jobs in Portland area? Ok I know the economy is bad and jobs are harder to find everywhere right now. So I don't want the answer that jobs are lacking or unemployment is high because I already figure this. I also realize there are more IT possibilities in Seattle area were we live now. I just want to know if there are atleast decient ammount of IT jobs in Portland that someone with these skills could have enough opportunities to apply for to eventually find work. With graduate school and work experience what are the IT prospects like? Or is IT not in enough demand in Portland to even be worth considering a move here.
Do you have huge amounts of experience, or highly specialized skills that are in high demand. If yes, lots of jobs. Otherwise your choices are to become a help desk monkey at Stream, ACS or Comcast in Beaverton. Or teach yourself Ruby and iPhone programming and go from there.

A lot of large Portland companies laid off people a couple of years ago and are now trying to shoe horn one person into three positions at once. A lot of the jobs I'm still seeing are for people with odd requirements, and even at entry level are wanting 4-5 years of experience. Oh, and don't forget are paying in the 8-10 hour range if you're lucky.

Stay in Seattle, find a company that has a branch office down here and try to transfer down when you have some seniority in the company.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM

10 posts, read 19,718 times
I hope there are jobs available... I am moving there from upstate New York after losing my job here. I have been looking on Dice.com - Job Search for Technology Professionals for web development (my field) and I am seeing quite a few jobs listed regularly.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
A lot of IT jobs are going unfulfilled right now. Companies are asking for requirements that are obscene coupled with low pay, and unfortunately for you guys, don't like to take risks on non-locals.

I'd still apply for the jobs, you may get lucky, but just realize that Portland's IT world is different then anywhere else.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Here's a company with some jobs available:

Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland