Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 10:04 PM

113 posts, read 216,844 times

Advertisements

how do you rate the quality of life in Portland?

is it hard to have enough extra money to do things like travel or go out?

does the high cost of housing strap people from pay check to pay check?

does the local gov't listen to the people? Are the people bold enough to voice opinions and make a difference?

Is crime rampant?

I've done searches but the CD search engine doesn't seem to recognize standard search regular expressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 11:49 PM

892 posts, read 2,393,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post

does the local gov't listen to the people? Are the people bold enough to voice opinions and make a difference?

Is crime rampant?

I've done searches but the CD search engine doesn't seem to recognize standard search regular expressions.
Awesome, no, not me, moreso than many places, hells yes, not by any reasonable definition, and the fact that you know what a regular expression is leads me to believe that both the functionality and the content of CD may prove ultimately somewhat of a disappointment to you.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 AM

333 posts, read 810,891 times
Ultimately it depends on how much salary you can pull in and that would be true for any city you live in. As for other questions, crime is not rampant and I can't speak to what the city government is up to. I've lived in many areas in the US though and I'll say quality of life here overall is very good. While you can certainly find other cities that are better for certain things (like more sun or better freeway system) when you add up all the factors that make up a life this place has a lot going for it.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 PM

56 posts, read 117,143 times
Quote:
Is crime rampant?
Here are a couple of resources for checking crime rates:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
[/url]crimereports.com
portlandmaps.com
trulia.com/crime/

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:24 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 09:33 PM

113 posts, read 216,844 times
no, actually, in spite of me knowing what a regular expression is, I quite like CD and it has been quite useful. Just loved Portland on a recent visit so much that I would love to become part of its culture. Just a lost dog here looking for home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Awesome, no, not me, moreso than many places, hells yes, not by any reasonable definition, and the fact that you know what a regular expression is leads me to believe that both the functionality and the content of CD may prove ultimately somewhat of a disappointment to you.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:36 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,404,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
What Khyron said. I moved to Portland 14 years ago, and I still occasionally am in awe that I'm lucky enough to live here. I'm also lucky enough to have a good job, which makes a difference no matter where you live. I've even learned to love the weather, which is the biggest drawback for most people. There aren't many other places I'd consider moving to.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:

All depends upon what your job/salary are. If you have the qualifications to get a good job, you can do these things. It can be a struggle because wages are not always that high in fields other than the few in demand.

Some it does, some it doesn't. This is a pretty individual thing and again depends upon what kind of job you land. Portland is a pretty expensive place to live all in all.

We do have people who have petitions to sign on the streets during elections. With a certain amount of signatures, just about anything can be put on a ballot. People do voice their opinions this way.

Is crime rampant?

No.

Your questions are kind of general. Do you have anything that would be more specific in mind? That would be of some help in giving you more detailed answers.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:15 AM

53 posts, read 213,889 times
-23, horrible. Beyond bad, even downtown there's crappy musicians on every corner! the weather is horrible and the choices in eating aren't so hot. Lack of entertainment too

Old 12-31-2011, 08:34 AM

358 posts, read 471,085 times
I'm with HonuMan and Khyron I love it. The food, beauty, arts, entertainment; I find it full of opportunities to enjoy life to the fullest. Details about your specific wants, needs, and preferences would help to answer your questions more fully.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuso View Post
-23, horrible. Beyond bad, even downtown there's crappy musicians on every corner! the weather is horrible and the choices in eating aren't so hot. Lack of entertainment too
Just spreading little rays of sunshine everywhere you go, aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: