Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,468,683 times

Advertisements

Laurelhurst Neighborhood is sort of "posh" too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 10:29 PM

94 posts, read 225,024 times
TDNY has it right. Growing up in the suburbs of Detroit and now living in Portland, I had to laugh when Lake Oswego was talked about as if it was some ultra exclusive old line suburb. Most of Lake Oswego is built from the 50s on and it is really only middle to upper middle class. Grosse Pointe or Bloomfield Hills (MI) it ain't.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:43 AM

378 posts, read 976,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans64 View Post
TDNY has it right. Growing up in the suburbs of Detroit and now living in Portland, I had to laugh when Lake Oswego was talked about as if it was some ultra exclusive old line suburb. Most of Lake Oswego is built from the 50s on and it is really only middle to upper middle class. Grosse Pointe or Bloomfield Hills (MI) it ain't.

As someone who grew up in Grosse Pointe - I agree. There really isn't a true "exclusive" neighborhood here like there are outside of other major cities. After we moved here to downtown it seemed there is a very neighborhood centric mentality among the younger crowd. The Hawthorne area vs. the Pearl vs. 23rd vs. Mississippi etc - that is more the mindset each group has compared to other places in the county where it's more city (suburb) vs suburb. I'm sure some of that exists here but I haven't been exposed to it so far.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 PM

12 posts, read 20,503 times
Default Posh=Dunthorpe

Dunthorpe is the poshest are in Portland Metro with most homes over 1M. They also have their own school district which is called Riverdale. I live in Lake Oswego and while there are some posh areas on the lake itself - you will find mostly upper middle class professionals who live here because of the schools. Good Luck, Leah

Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,276,884 times
Lake Oswego like anywhere has nice homes, but that doesn't make it a country club city. Portland is known for having some nice homes and healthy neighborhoods, anything that would remotely be considered "posh" here would be anything up in the hills, along places like Skyline Dr. but that is more because it is a home up in the hills. I am sure we have our fair share of gated communities, I just never seek them out.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,546,869 times
Here's what I love about Lake Oswego so far: Little Clippers, which is a great place to get your kid's hair cut, Gourmet Productions (a great deli), and Kurata Japanese restaurant.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM

198 posts, read 401,194 times
Not sure if you mean city limits since you included LO.

For total metro posh, do Dunthorpe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland