Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 PM

161 posts, read 410,835 times

Advertisements

So, as we are getting closer and closer to moving (2 weeks!), my phone decides to die on me and Sprint is not willing to replace it (even with insurance! due to corrosion in my motherboard). So, goodbye Sprint (hopefully). I want to get a number with a Portland area code regardless, so will start service with another company. Hpwever, I will need to do that ASAP once I get up there, because I don't have a phone until then!

What service gets the best reception in the greater Portland area? We are looking into moving to Clackamas because we found some horse property that we like out there, but that's still not 100% so we are also looking in the SE districts - Hawthorne, Mt Tabor, Sunnyside, etc.

Are there any smaller cell phone companies that I should check out, besides that massive providers? I really want an iphone, but those are so expensive (phones and plans). We would have a family plan, also - 3 people.

Thanks!

Last edited by OmShanti; 06-02-2011 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,559,522 times
I have had Verizon cellular for many years and have been very happy with their service, call quality, and coverage. Several years ago a relative had AT&T here and found them unsatisfactory. Although AT&T claims to have resolved their issues he says that he has heard that before..

Apple's IPhone is new to the Verizon cellular so they may still be adapting their network.

Whatever provider you choose make sure that they agree to let you cancel the contract and return the phone if coverage on your property isn't acceptable. Were I you I would seek out users of the network you like, ask them to come to your place and see if they can send and receive calls - look at the # of bars on their signal icon. You are in a rural area where cell tower shadows are a possibility.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:12 PM

161 posts, read 410,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Several years ago a relative had AT&T here and found them unsatisfactory. Although AT&T claims to have resolved their issues he says that he has heard that before..
In San Diego, service from AT&T is TERRIBLE. You don't get service except for in a block in downtown.

I'll talk to our friends that live up there and their family memebers and see if they'll travel to the boonies and check out cell service (and maybe some houses) for us!

I like Verizon, but they are going to start charging full prices for their phones.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:42 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post
I like Verizon, but they are going to start charging full prices for their phones.
Do you have a source for this? I'm just curious because I've been doing a lot of research into cell phones in Portland over the past few months (which I can't link to because CD is weirdly jealous of the rest of the internet's forums) and I've heard nothing of the sort. For example they currently charge the standard with-a-contract price for the iPhone that the Apple Store or AT&T does and I haven't heard anything yet saying that's going to change?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:46 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,022 times
I work all over town, and have had the best coverage with Verizon. I used to have AT&T.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
I have had the same Verizon phone since 2002. It doesn't take pictures or wash my clothes. It just makes calls and can text (I don't) and get on the Internet (I don't either). No apps, no cameras no G's.

My service with Verizon has been great. I have coverage everywhere I go.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,474 times
Cell Phone Coverage Map in Portland, OR - Page 1 of 0 - CellReception.com

Old 06-03-2011, 05:43 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,451 times
I have AT&T because it was the only option when I bought my iPhone. My service has been mediocre, but not terrible. My stepson has T-Mobile, which he loves, but they've just been purchased by another carrier, I believe (AT&T)? I hear good things about Verizon, so I may switch when I feel a need to upgrade to a new iPhone.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 PM

51 posts, read 224,055 times
Anyone use Cricket? I was wondering how good the reception is. I know their customer service isn't the greatest.

Any of the popular carriers get good reception in the Gorge?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:20 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times
Within Portland City limits they're all pretty much the same. If you're going to be living in the suburbs or traveling Oregon you'll need to be more picky. This is why I actually carry two different cells when I'm out and about. An AT&T one, and a pre-paid T-Mobile phone for when I'm outside of AT&T's service.

Between the two I get coverage over about 60% of Oregon. It's still easy to find dead spots for both phones - behind mountains, up rivers, in the woods. Places like the Gorge are going to be spotty no matter what, there are so few places to put service towers due to it's status as a National Scenic Area that there are always going to be holes without a major shift in technology such as stationary orbital satellites.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in many rural areas, cell phone towers are shared between all the providers. Or at least the major ones, so it doesn't really matter what service you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland