Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,256 times

Advertisements

Hi there! So I am getting ready to move to Portland next month and am starting to get really nervous because I can't find a job to save my life. I find tons of job listings but I can't get a callback and it's really starting to stress me out. I think most of it has to do with the fact that I have an out-of-state address and the companies are afraid that I'm going to ask for a relocation fee or something which I don't need but I can't even get to the point of telling them that.

I guess the reason why I'm writing is because I'm reaching out for anyone that can give some well-wanted advice and tips on how to find a job or at least get a callback. Any help would be amazing! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 PM

892 posts, read 2,394,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torioreo1986 View Post
I guess the reason why I'm writing is because I'm reaching out for anyone that can give some well-wanted advice and tips on how to find a job or at least get a callback. Any help would be amazing! Thanks!
This might be kind of a moot question since you seem to have immediate plans hardly a month away already in motion...but why move before lining up a job? Is there some pressing reason you need to leave where you are, at a specific time? This isn't a question unique to Portland, it's an important thing to ask one's self no matter where future desires might lead.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
You have a reason to be very nervous.

Unless you have a year's worth of savings for rent, food, bills, car repairs, etc. you would be very foolish to move.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,796,091 times
I've pretty much given up telling people that there are no jobs in Portland because they don't want to hear it.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM

9,541 posts, read 16,548,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torioreo1986 View Post
Hi there! So I am getting ready to move to Portland next month and am starting to get really nervous because I can't find a job to save my life. I find tons of job listings but I can't get a callback and it's really starting to stress me out. I think most of it has to do with the fact that I have an out-of-state address and the companies are afraid that I'm going to ask for a relocation fee or something which I don't need but I can't even get to the point of telling them that.

There is very little in the way of employment in Portland. The only field I can think of that does some hiring and even that is limited is Medical.

Portland is not and has never been a hot bed for industry and the jobs that come with that. It has had chronic high unemployment for many years. In the times we now live in, the lack of employment options has caught up with the region. I think many find if they want to work,
they may find they have to leave this area. Its either that or try to find some low paying job for any income at all. There are just way to many people here looking for work in an area with limited jobs.

I don't know if moving to Portland is mandatory for you or its just something you want to do. In your best interest and safety I think my tip would be this. Postpone this move until you have a guaranteed job offer in Portland. You could really hurt yourself emotionally and finacially moving here at this time without a job. Its just not worth it.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
Read other threads on the subject on this forum. There is little chance you will find someone who will hire you long-distance unless you have a very specialized skill and that skill is needed at the present time.

The reason you are not getting call backs is because for every job opening there are at least 100 applications from people already here some of whom have been looking for a very long time.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
There is very little in the way of employment in Portland. The only field I can think of that does some hiring and even that is limited is Medical.

Portland is not and has never been a hot bed for industry and the jobs that come with that. It has had chronic high unemployment for many years. In the times we now live in, the lack of employment options has caught up with the region. I think many find if they want to work,
they may find they have to leave this area. Its either that or try to find some low paying job for any income at all. There are just way to many people here looking for work in an area with limited jobs.

I don't know if moving to Portland is mandatory for you or its just something you want to do. In your best interest and safety I think my tip would be this. Postpone this move until you have a guaranteed job offer in Portland. You could really hurt yourself emotionally and finacially moving here at this time without a job. Its just not worth it.
Good post. But there is no reason that I can think of that would make it "mandatory" to move anywhere. Unless you're a minor moving with your parents.

I'm willing to bet the OP is 24 from their user name and like many 20 somethings wants to live in Portland.

They're timing couldn't be worse.

They should accept the fact that they're not getting any responses as a sign to stay put.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,211 times
I moved to portland without a job in 2009. I found one about two months after I got here, and things ended up being okay, but I was lucky.

I'm not saying it's a great idea, and I wouldn't necessarily advise you to do what I did, but Portland has a lot of great things to offer, and in my case the risk was worth it.

Everything has a 50/50 shot of working out when it comes down to it. Do you have a backup plan or exit strategy? Be smart about this. If this is what you really want then go for it. You won't lose an arm or a leg, don't listen to the naysayers.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:30 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,453,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I've pretty much given up telling people that there are no jobs in Portland because they don't want to hear it.
Exactly.

Even after I tell people of my recent experience, 15 months unemployed, despite having gotten every job I've ever interviewed for in the past, despite having a list of highly desirable skills, despite having a huge network of friends and relatives looking out for me, despite being in direct contact with HR people and managers of companies I wanted to work at. Despite willing to take a 50% cut in pay just to get my foot in the door. Despite sending out five to ten resumes a day.

15 months.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,481,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
15 months.
You're lucky ~ Sometimes when you're young, you need to fall flat on your face before you take anyone's advice. Better one should do that when they're young and invincible than....not.

I agree with larsojac for the most part. Youth is the time to take these kinds of chances. If you have an exit strategy, then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: