Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,729,212 times

Advertisements

The job market is tough here as there are not a "LOT" of white collar high paying jobs. But keep in Mind.....If you get a job that pays a decent wage you could do pretty well. I have never been to Michigan....it's neet hearing your lingo "the up" ..."the soo", gives me some new words to google

Your friend will probably be the best person to get info from considering she came from where you are now. My biggest complaint is that not only that our tax burden is extremely high..and lots of other stuff like groceries, electricity, fuel, cost a lot more then other new england states.......but Maine is not doing anything to make the situation better. I still think things are going to get a lot worse.

Portland is a great livable city....with 60000 people it has everything you need without the congestion of the typical much larger cities of the other new england states. Maine also has much less violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 37,016 times
Hello from South Florida. This is my first posting, so I hope I do it right. My wife and I are moving to Maine in two months, just about the time for the snow to stop falling (I hope). We can hardly wait for this new adventure. Let me give you a little background. My wife is originally from upstate NY (Utica area), and I lived in CT until I was 9. We moved back to NY about ten years ago but the work situation was very bad. Ten factories shut down (and moved to NC) in less than 6 mos., with more scheduled to move. We came back to FL, and have been stuck since then. My wife has been to Maine before and loved it! I love the North, and am not afraid of snow or cold weather. Down here in Florida we have Hurricane season, high crime in many areas, overcrowding etc. We don't feel that we belong here anymore, and have decided that Maine is where we want to put down our permanent roots. However we need some help. Neither of us know anyone there. I am looking to move us to either the Portland area, or near Bangor. I am not interested in living in the city, but would rather live within a forty five minute commute either to the north or west of the city.My wife is disabled, and I do security work, but am willing to work another field. I am moving us up by myself, and will be coming up in either late April or early May to find us a place to live. We need to rent or lease option a good sized home, and I need to be sure that I will be within commuting distance. We love nature, and don't mind being outside of town. Any assistance/guidance any one out there can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much from someone who may soon be your new neighbor!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:47 AM

48,240 posts, read 22,049,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingfla View Post
Hello from South Florida. This is my first posting, so I hope I do it right. My wife and I are moving to Maine in two months, just about the time for the snow to stop falling (I hope). We can hardly wait for this new adventure. Let me give you a little background. My wife is originally from upstate NY (Utica area), and I lived in CT until I was 9. We moved back to NY about ten years ago but the work situation was very bad. Ten factories shut down (and moved to NC) in less than 6 mos., with more scheduled to move. We came back to FL, and have been stuck since then. My wife has been to Maine before and loved it! I love the North, and am not afraid of snow or cold weather. Down here in Florida we have Hurricane season, high crime in many areas, overcrowding etc. We don't feel that we belong here anymore, and have decided that Maine is where we want to put down our permanent roots. However we need some help. Neither of us know anyone there. I am looking to move us to either the Portland area, or near Bangor. I am not interested in living in the city, but would rather live within a forty five minute commute either to the north or west of the city.My wife is disabled, and I do security work, but am willing to work another field. I am moving us up by myself, and will be coming up in either late April or early May to find us a place to live. We need to rent or lease option a good sized home, and I need to be sure that I will be within commuting distance. We love nature, and don't mind being outside of town. Any assistance/guidance any one out there can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much from someone who may soon be your new neighbor!
I just want to say welcome to the forum; I am in the process of moving to the Portland area and very excited about the prospects. I wish you good luck in your re-location! Since I am new, I won't offer advise....I am sure the good people of the forum will give you some answers....the more specific your questions the more the responses are apt to match your need. Once again, good luck. signed: elston

Old 03-06-2008, 01:22 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,709,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
They have been closed for quite a long time now. They kept it open for a bit processing peas, but I haven't seen anything happening down around the plant for years now. Most of the business' have closed, but there are still a few die hards. Washburn Food Mart is doing good, and they are the only grocery store in town now. We have 1 "restaurant" but it is very small and some days questionable . Harold is still cutting hair, but now has a chair and small barber shop right at his house so he doesn't have to get out in the cold. The feel of town hasn't changed over the years, and it is still a nice place to be overall.
I always liked Wasburn for some reason. Maybe I'll get a place up there someday. I just like "The County " overall I guess.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,234,079 times
Welcome to the forum, leavingfla. If you are looking near the Portland area, there is a wide radius of towns within 45 minutes - west to Raymond and north to Auburn. For rentals I would check craigslist dot org and mainetoday dot com in the real estate rental section.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 37,016 times
Hi. Thanks for the advice ref. postings. I have never been much of an internet person, and have never been on message boards/forums/chat rooms etc. I wish you luck on your move as well.If you find out anything interesting to a newbie, let me know. thanks!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,126,691 times
leavingfla welcome to the forum!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 AM

252 posts, read 711,296 times
If you want to look for a job before getting there, try JobsInME dot com.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:26 PM

23 posts, read 97,453 times
Default What is the best area to live in Portland, Maine

Trying to moving from TN to New England States. I already checked a lot of towns in MASS. and it seems that the best one is Beverly, 12 miles North of Boston. I read about Portland and I like it too. Can you tell me which one is the best for living, outdoor sports (soccer) schools, transportation, shopping Malls, and jobs. I would appreciate any information.
Thank you

Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,272,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pischev08 View Post
Can you tell me which one is the best for living, outdoor sports (soccer) schools, transportation, shopping Malls, and jobs. I would appreciate any information.
Thank you
If this is what you are looking for, then closer to Boston the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area