Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 9,716 times

Advertisements

Hi...I will be in Biddeford, ME on Thursday evening. I am coming in for an interview on Friday. I will have most of Friday and a couple hours on Saturday to explore. Assuming the interview goes well, I would like to get a "taste" of the area, to the best of my ability, in this short time. Please give me some suggestions about what I should see, eat, shop, etc. Also, if anyone knows the name of a responsible, reliable leasing agent, that would be most appreciated!! I would like to talk to someone in the event that the interview goes very well. Hopefully I get a lot of responses in the next few days. My last post about the dog only generated two responses, though they were helpful! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:32 AM

356 posts, read 703,382 times
Try to get a feel for what it's like to live here. Drive and walk around the towns and neighborhoods where you think you might like to live. Grab a coffee or a beer and talk to the locals.

Visit some of the beaches (Old Orchard Beach, Crescent Beach/Two Lights, Willard Beach) and tour Portland Head Light at Fort Williams Park. Go to Portland and walk around the Old Port and Congress Street, check out the views of Casco Bay from the Eastern Prom, and have lunch or dinner in one of the fabulous restaurants here. You could also try to fit in a ferry ride or a quick walk around Mackworth Island. If you really love to shop, drive up to Freeport and go to L.L. Bean (open 24 hours) and the outlet stores.

As I said in a different post, craigslist is your best bet for finding a place to rent. No need for a leasing agent. But you might want to rent a short-term place for a while until you decide the best spot to live.

Good luck on the interview!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,086 times
Old port for the sights and sounds of the area.

Craigslist for the rental situation.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2010, 04:00 PM

22 posts, read 61,381 times
I definately agree with La.Cavaliere about going through craigslist. I tried to work with realtors and it was so frustrating, especially from out of state!

I live in Biddeford so if you are looking for a place to eat go to Run of the Mill. It is right over the bridge (over Saco river) on the left ( going out of Biddeford). It is an old mill and they brew their own beer there. The atmosphere is great!

I just checked the date of your post and you are probably gone by now! if so, I hope you had a great interview and loved Portland!! Maine is a wonderful place to be!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:07 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
In my opinion, if you want to get the best feel for Portland, park your car at Union Station (it's a strip mall) and walk from St. John & Congress all the way down Congress to Washington. At Washington turn left and continue down to Tukey's Bridge. About halfway across Tukey's, you will see an exit towards a footpath. Take that and go to the right and continue around the Eastern Prom bike/walk path. Continue along this path until you reach Commercial street and stay on Commercial through the Old Port. Stay on Commercial until you get to Valley St, then turn right. Walk down Valley St. until you see a zig-zagging walkway on the left that goes up a hill to a park. Go up that, stop and enjoy the view of the airport, and then walk to the left towards Maine Med. Center. When you get back onto Congress, go left and you'll be back at Union Station.

That will show you everything you need to see and know about Portland.

For property managers, Craigslist is a good place, but just be sure that the apartment you are looking at is the same apartment that you are shown. Dirigo seems to have some good apartments, more on the luxury side, but they also manage subsidized housing. People seem to have good experience with Sidelinger, so maybe check them out. Port Property Management seems to manage half the city, and people either think they are okay, or total scum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area