Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 15,507 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to Fla from NJ this summer. After researching we decided we like Jensen Beach. I have a 10 year old daughter and I just want to make sure of a few things:

1) Is it a safe town?? Can she go for a bike ride and be safe??

2) The schools rate high but any input would be nice

3) She is into alot of activites after school (Girl Scouts-Art Class-CCD) Are these all avalible.

4) she loves sports (soccer-basketball-softball) are there youth athletics here?

5) Are there area we should avoid? What are better areas to look as far as kids her age go.

We will be down in December to look around ( I plan to drive around different times of the day to get a feel for the area)

Any help or input would be great!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:09 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy62 View Post
We are planning on moving to Fla from NJ this summer. After researching we decided we like Jensen Beach. I have a 10 year old daughter and I just want to make sure of a few things:

1) Is it a safe town?? Can she go for a bike ride and be safe??
It's safe, but safe in Florida is different from safe in Montana. I would not consider the mall safe on weekend nights and sure wouldn't let a 10 year old go their by herself.

It's not the kind of place that she would ride her bike to a downtown or to a shopping area. If she rides around her neighborhood, she would be ok, but still, it's Florida and 10 is a bit young, imo, for riding around town. A lot of nuts here.

You can go to the FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) site and get a map of where the registered sex offenders live in the neighborhoods you are looking at.

Quote:
2) The schools rate high but any input would be nice
Schools are good.

Quote:
3) She is into alot of activites after school (Girl Scouts-Art Class-CCD) Are these all avalible.
Yes

Quote:
4) she loves sports (soccer-basketball-softball) are there youth athletics here?
Plenty of them. This is a city, and everything is available. I know some will say it's not a city, but believe me,it's the biggest place I've ever lived. It's not rural.

Quote:
(5) Are there area we should avoid? What are better areas to look as far as kids her age go.
There aren't really any bad areas of Jensen. Stay south of Jensen Beach Blvd.

Quote:
We will be down in December to look around ( I plan to drive around different times of the day to get a feel for the area)

Any help or input would be great!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,199,806 times
Do yourself a HUGE FAVOR since you have a child. Please check out the location of the sexual offenders and see where they all live. You might be in for a surprise.

I used to live in Jensen...glad I moved. Personal opinion

Old 11-03-2009, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 15,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Do yourself a HUGE FAVOR since you have a child. Please check out the location of the sexual offenders and see where they all live. You might be in for a surprise.

I used to live in Jensen...glad I moved. Personal opinion

I looked at PSL and that doesnt look any better as far as sex offenders go.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy62 View Post
I looked at PSL and that doesnt look any better as far as sex offenders go.
I agree. However, PSL has 10 times the population.

People need to remember that men & women are only called "registered sex offenders" after they've been convicted of a crime. By that time, the average predator has violated dozens of children. So teach your children well and be on alert for strange behavior. Florida seems to be a haven for these sick pieces of dog crap. Just because an area is "safe" doesn't mean much after you learn a local softball coach or minister was arrested for molesting a 9 year old. Perversion doesn't have its own income bracket.

Back to the OP, I don't live in Jensen Beach, but I've been there and I think it's charming. Sorry, just had to chime in since there are some people on this board who continually bash the same communities.

Last edited by justNancy; 11-03-2009 at 05:44 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 PM

7 posts, read 23,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Back to the OP, I don't live in Jensen Beach, but I've been there and I think it's charming. Sorry, just had to chime in since there are some people on this board who continually bash the same communities.
There are parts of Jensen Beach that are charming, but Jensen Beach in general is not. Much of it is very old with unkempt homes and landscaping. On Jensen Beach Blvd. there are a few nice developments, but that's it.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 AM

Nancy I don't continually bash any place that doesn't have a reason - IF YOU LOOK at the sexual offenders specific to Jensen Beach you would see what I was talking about. Apparently you haven't since you don't have any kids. THEY DO. YOU don't even LIVE in Port St. Lucie so how would you know anything about the area in the first place yet you continue to post comments on places you know nothing about but might have ...driven by. I DID live there. I don't anymore, for a reason.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Yes, it's true that I do not live in PSL, although I've looked at many neighborhoods there. I don't recall ever saying "don't move there" but since this is a board where members, including prospective buyers, express their opinions, I certainly have the right to post mine. I've also answered general questions about the Treasure Coast and sales tax, etc. So what?

I don't want to get into a battle here, but the difference is that I am not a licensed professional. In another thread, people living in Newport Isles asked you to stop making derogatory comments about their neighborhood. That thread was closed, so I can't quote from the posts. I can say "that's a bad neighborhood in my personal opinion" but I'm not bound by law & professional ethics. Agents are not supposed to steer buyers away from or toward a certain area, since it can be viewed as discriminatory.

The OP already said "After researching we decided we like Jensen Beach."

Old 11-05-2009, 06:58 AM

But Nancy you are telling people about places you have never lived in or spent any time in. Driving by a neighborhood doesn't count with you give people advice but have never lived in an area. Just because you "think it's charming" doesn't make it that way. Many people with children forget to do that one check that is most important - sexual offenders- I brought that up because it needs to be brought up about Jensen Beach. I DID LIVE THERE. Murphy asked a lot of questions. I just want to make sure they check answers to all the questions they need to ask, especially with children.

As far as Newport Isles, I live within a mile of it and that's a lot closer than you. I actually talked to one of the people on the HOA yesterday even and was even in there showing property to people from out of the area at their request. Yes the thread is closed so nobody could say anything else and I am not the one who called Newport Isles a ghetto - someone else did. Lots of others made comments as well -whether or not they live in Newport Isles nobody knows since it's an open forum for anyone to post. At least I am not a "drive by" ...I've been in the houses, dealt with the homeowners, people moving in and out, etc for 2 years.

You live in VERO BEACH ....a bit far to still comment on any lifestyle in PSL. I'm not looking to argue either but the fact remains.. you don't even live here!

Old 11-07-2009, 06:47 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times
Enough is Enough!

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach