Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,002,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I agree with you. The issue of Unemployment seems to fading more and more each day. And each day, I give the thought of Isolationsim a fresh look. Put up the wall, lock the gates, pull back the troops and fleets, turn off the international foreign aid spout and let us focus for one solid year on just the US and her citizens. Just address and resolve our own problems without having to be a world player. Get a fair tax code worked out, resolve illegal immigration, fix our welfare states, get people back to work, close up the loopholes for banks and tighten restrictions on some of their past activities, and all of just work together for the common good of our own country with no outside distractions. Then, after a year, with proper policies in place, re-open the gates to do business again. Crazy thought, I know - but a gal can dream!
Once you lock the door..how do you propose we eat and clothe ourselves ?
Our exports are raw commodities and our imports is everything else including some of our foodstuffs. You can't reverse 40 years of offshoring overnight. Our big corporations are multi-nationals now.

Sorry..but I think closing the door to globalism is no longer an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,474,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh don't you worry. The fall campaign will be heating up soon and obama and the democrats will have to defend their waste of a $1+ trillion on the Failed Stimulus.
With nearly half of that stimulus money left unspent it seems to me that they have planned how to "create" lots of jobs in September or October. They have plans and we aren't going to like them but then THEY don't care about that. Buy those votes is what they care about.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,190,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
With nearly half of that stimulus money left unspent it seems to me that they have planned how to "create" lots of jobs in September or October. They have plans and we aren't going to like them but then THEY don't care about that. Buy those votes is what they care about.
Their ideas for creating jobs has failed...I can't see them wising up any time soon.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 PM

814 posts, read 674,311 times
The lack of media coverage and understanding of the unemployed is why we are headed straight down the tubes when the capitalistic conservative republican's take over the senate. Mark my words. You blame Obama now and the failed attempts with the stimulus funding because of short sightedness and this "buy it now" philosophy Americans have adopted. Just wait and see what the big conservative players have to say!

All that aside...I sense we are headed towards the deregulation of military,fire depts, police depts,and many other state/federally funded programs. Home internet schooling for all levels. Tax incentives for buying domestic.

I'd sure like to hear what the experts suggest with regards to taxes on imports and creating manufacturing domestically.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 PM

no thoughts on manufacturing domestically? tax incentives,etc?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,002,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
no thoughts on manufacturing domestically? tax incentives,etc?
I don't think you'll see mfg coming back.
Companies are making hand over fist profits outside of the US.
No regulations, low wages, no benefits, no unions.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,760,728 times
It breaks my heart to see the state that our country is in. Millions have lost their homes, no jobs and well you all know the rest. Now this oil spill will drastically effect the fishing business.

Wonder what will happen when the middle class is for the most part, gone.

We are in trouble folks.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, we will have to see corporate money stripped out of politics before any big change can occur. Certainly not gonna happen overnight, but there has to be some think tanks trying to figure out a way to do it.

The tricky part is in dealing with China. How do we slow up imports,give tax incentives for domestics,and at the same time start manufacturing back up?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 70,111,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It has to come back if we ever hope to have any kind of economy again.

I think that it won't come back for a while because the American people aren't ready yet. Too many believe they can be unemployed forever - they're too good for low-wage jobs and the government can support an unlimited number of people with unemployment handouts.

Too many of the unemployed only seem to be asking for more unemployment handouts - not jobs. And their beloved politicians will get them more unemployment and not jobs and become all the more loved by the unemployed.

Things have to get bad first - then people will begin to change, have a different outlook. Right now too many still believe in unlimited, all-powerful government and the cheap foreign made stuff they can buy.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It has to come back if we ever hope to have any kind of economy again.

I think that it won't come back for a while because the American people aren't ready yet. Too many believe they can be unemployed forever - they're too good for low-wage jobs and the government can support an unlimited number of people with unemployment handouts.

Too many of the unemployed only seem to be asking for more unemployment handouts - not jobs. And their beloved politicians will get them more unemployment and not jobs and become all the more loved by the unemployed.

Things have to get bad first - then people will begin to change, have a different outlook. Right now too many still believe in unlimited, all-powerful government and the cheap foreign made stuff they can buy.
This might be the most uninformed post I've read on this site.

There are close to probably 25 million people unemployed in this country. In layman's terms that is 25 MAJOR cities that ARE NOT WORKING. Is it starting to sink in now? Your insensitivity towards people that CANNOT find work is inhumane and crass.

The media has covered ALL of us up and will have you believe we are not looking for work, have high expectations,etc etc....This country is in an economic state of emergency problem is people are so used to living in denial they are waiting for Channel 4 to tell them!

Go spend some time at the UE office and then come back here and tell me how many jobs people are turning down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies