Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:02 PM

38,847 posts, read 22,729,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
You either haven't read the law or you are just lying.
If you are not a US citizen you must carry a proof
of legal immigration status at all times by the law.
...and even then, the only circumstance where they can ask for an ID, Green Card, passport etc..., is if the police have already stopped you for a violation of the law, e.g. being arrested for assault, robbery, rape, arson, or a traffic violation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,141,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Yeah me too. It's A-OK to have diplomatic and financial ties to China, but not for our people to go there because it's "unsafe".

Got it.
The hypocrisy is that AZ does not reflect liberal values but China somehow does (liberals turning a blind eye to human rights violations, etc).

Old 05-13-2010, 03:05 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,215,222 times
Quote:
Yeah me too. It's A-OK to have diplomatic and financial ties to China, but not for our people to go there because it's "unsafe".

Got it.
I will try my best to make it easy to understand what is being proffered here. The assistant superintendent said that is the safety and liberty of the girls that has caused this decision so your beef should be with him not the posters in this thread. The point of this thread is, if that is really his point, then how could he think it was actually safer to send these kids to a foreign Communist country than to one of our United States.

It also speaks to the situation in AZ that if he really does think that is safer to send them to China, then something really does need to be done in AZ.

The rest of your babble is purely off topic and nothing but typed words for your ego.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:07 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,454,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The hypocrisy is that AZ does not reflect liberal values but China somehow does (liberals turning a blind eye to human rights violations, etc).
Well, they used the word safety. You may seek to revise that now, but it doesn't change earlier arguments from others.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:07 PM

3,645 posts, read 9,257,572 times
Just when I think our society can't get any more idiotic....nothing like people having a hissy about what they THINK just MIGHT happen.

Hey why stop there? From now on I'm never drinking Arizona Iced Tea! I hate the Cardinals! I, uh, want to smash a cactus!! Because AZ just made passed a law to.....gasp.....CHECK IDs (cue dramatic music)

Old 05-13-2010, 03:12 PM

38,847 posts, read 22,729,051 times
Quote:
No, I am very clear on this.

If it's bad for kids to go to China to play sports, why is it OK to do business with them?

Man, you "conservatives" are hard to keep up with. I remember when y'all were bawling about the grain embargos against the Soviet Union. Reagan couldn't wait to start selling that communist den of heathens more grain.

Now, if the girls had played in N. Korea, some of you may have a point, but you can't have it both ways with China.
You miss the point, the point is not to discuss why all of our presidents seem to want to trade with China. The point is how are China's values not in conflict with Ms. Hebso's values, but the state of Arizona's are?

Old 05-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I will try my best to make it easy to understand what is being proffered here. The assistant superintendent said that is the safety and liberty of the girls that has caused this decision so your beef should be with him not the posters in this thread. The point of this thread is, if that is really his point, then how could he think it was actually safer to send these kids to a foreign Communist country than to one of our United States.

It also speaks to the situation in AZ that if he really does think that is safer to send them to China, then something really does need to be done in AZ.

The rest of your babble is purely off topic and nothing but typed words for your ego.
Maybe you should read what I have written before you reply to me.

I am saying the school officials are guilty of hyperbolic nonsense too. That doesn't mean that people on this forum who employ the same fallacious reasoning about the safety of American travelers in China will escape my pointing out that they are applying the same faulty reasoning.

But I can see that some are already trying to shift away from the safety thing, and we are now moving into human-rights violations territory, which has zilch to do with the safety of travel for Americans within Chinese borders. Just more extraneous, hyperbolic, appeals-to-emotion.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You miss the point, the point is not to discuss why all of our presidents seem to want to trade with China. The point is how are China's values not in conflict with Ms. Hebso's values, but the state of Arizona's are?
Have you read any of my past 4 or 5 posts? or are you just assuming my stance on this issue? My money is on the latter.

As predicted - you (plural) are now trying to move the argument out away from just the safety issue, and I have already addressed that I condemn China's internal politics. That's neither here nor there though, when we are examining the safety of our citizens while in China. How any Americans are having their human rights violated over there?

Old 05-13-2010, 03:22 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,844,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
...and even then, the only circumstance where they can ask for an ID, Green Card, passport etc..., is if the police have already stopped you for a violation of the law, e.g. being arrested for assault, robbery, rape, arson, or a traffic violation.
That's exactly right.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:24 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,215,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Just when I think our society can't get any more idiotic....nothing like people having a hissy about what they THINK just MIGHT happen.

Hey why stop there? From now on I'm never drinking Arizona Iced Tea! I hate the Cardinals! I, uh, want to smash a cactus!! Because AZ just made passed a law to.....gasp.....CHECK IDs (cue dramatic music)

Good post but, it is obvious that those who oppose the law do not understand the law, and if they refuse to educate themselves to the law, it is due to nothing but their belief that there is something political to be gained here. Look at Obama's statement that if you take your child to get ice cream you will be asked for proper ID which is nonsense. I have never been pulled over for whatever reason without being asked for my ID, why should illegal aliens be any different?

Most of the non Latinos that oppose the law do not really give a rats behind about the people that this law effects, (illegal immigrants and legal AZ residents) they merely see through rose colored glasses a way to garner more all mighty votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies