Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 02:56 PM

38,066 posts, read 22,230,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Of course it had nothing to do with BP telling everyone that the leak was very small, right?

If you "have no clue" then it would probably be a good idea to shut the hell up and quit questioning the professionals dealing with this, don't you think?

Until you can provide an answer to "how could Obama have handled this differently" then your opinions have less than zero merit and should be kept to yourself.
LOL

Well then, I never want to see you make another post questioning government about anything they do, since you know your place, to "shut the hell up".

I see, so if an oil spill devastates our coasts we are to "shut the hell up", and not question whether our government could have responded better, not question whether we need better emergency procedures in place? BTW, if 0bama did not have good enough emergency procedures to fall back on, whose fault is that?

British Petroleum was sending out urgent pleas to fishing boat operators, does that sound like our government deploying a sufficient response, or does it sound like a desperate move by them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,102,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
LOL

Well then, I never want to see you make another post questioning government about anything they do, since you know your place, to "shut the hell up".
The difference is that I'm vastly more informed on these issues and when it comes to issues I'm not informed on I refrain from criticizing those who have jobs that I don't understand.

Quote:
I see, so if an oil spill devastates our coasts we are to "shut the hell up", and not question whether our government could have responded better, not question whether we need better emergency procedures in place? BTW, if 0bama did not have good enough emergency procedures to fall back on, whose fault is that?
Or you could just mildly educated on the matter at hand.

Quote:
British Petroleum was sending out urgent pleas to fishing boat operators, does that sound like our government deploying a sufficient response, or does it sound like a desperate move by them?
Not quite. They're asking private vessels for help with things such as towing, supply runs and wildlife rescue and as the latest I've heard, they've just started assembling a list of these private contractors.

I'm sure you're also aware that most of the government resources of focused on, you know, plugging the huge oil leak.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:35 PM

38,066 posts, read 22,230,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The difference is that I'm vastly more informed on these issues and when it comes to issues I'm not informed on I refrain from criticizing those who have jobs that I don't understand.

Or you could just mildly educated on the matter at hand.

Not quite. They're asking private vessels for help with things such as towing, supply runs and wildlife rescue and as the latest I've heard, they've just started assembling a list of these private contractors.

I'm sure you're also aware that most of the government resources of focused on, you know, plugging the huge oil leak.
They did send out requests to fishing boats, i saw enough reports on TV. It really makes me wonder how weak must be our response when requests go out to amateurs to lend a hand.

BP welcomes military help for Gulf oil leak | News-Gazette.com (http://www.news-gazette.com/news/agriculture-and-environment/2010-04-29/bp-welcomes-military-help-gulf-oil-leak.html - broken link)

Sorry pal, I do not need to be an expert to question whether or not our government response could have been better. I'm asking legitimate questions here, and all I get from you is snarky, snobbish "shut the hell up" rhetoric. Its as if, how dare an average American citizen question the great and powerful Oz. I mean, who are we to question what may be behind all the smoke & mirrors and rustling curtains.

You know, I'm not a finance wizard either, but I do have questions about the financial melt down that destroyed half of my 401K, requires a few trillion dollars from us taxpayers and federal reserve, and is still causing repercussions across the world. Or was that also a case where I need to "shut the hell up"?

Old 05-09-2010, 04:42 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,207,776 times
Brownie (you remember Brownie) on Fox News: "Obama wanted oil spill so he could "shut down" offshore drilling"

more Fox-y fun: "Sabotage!" Right-wing media respond to oil spill by dreaming up conspiracy theories | Media Matters for America

Old 05-09-2010, 05:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,105,600 times
Quote:
And I told you I have no clue,
Well that has always been apparent.

Quote:
What i saw looked more like the coast Guard doing its best, and the rest of the federal government looking like a headless chicken, running around in a panic for someone to blame it on, and then shrugging it all off.
And as a clueless person, what do you base this on?

Quote:
Do we have sufficient measures in place to contain oil spills in the Gulf,
We don't have sufficient resources to contain an oil spill of this size anywhere in the country, and frankly, I doubt that any nation does, which is why so many folks, myself included, are against oil exploration is environmentally sensitive areas.

Quote:
I'm not the oil spill expert here, but even some one as ignorant about the issue can see that we had a pathetic and all but worthless response. Did we learn nothing?
Apparently not judging from the response of the Drill Baby Drill coterie.

Quote:
Is the answer to just leave it up to the oil companies to protect our coast lines, or should our federal government have a more appropriate response on the books to protect multiple states from oil spills like this?
That is a question that will require far more expertise than I possess.

Quote:
What bothers me about this particular spill, is that our government is acting like meh, this was a good enough response, at least they made a token attempt, and they have their foot on the throat of BP... I feel so reassured now.
I don't know what "acting like meh" means.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,105,600 times
Quote:
They did send out requests to fishing boats, i saw enough reports on TV. It really makes me wonder how weak must be our response when requests go out to amateurs to lend a hand.
Anyone who considers folks who make their living working the waters of the Mississippi Delta is more clueless than first reported. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to lay out booms, but it does take experienced watermen to navigate those waters with boats best suited for the job.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This thread isn't to re-litigate the Bush response to Katrina. It is a losing proposition for those who attempt to mitigate what has been more than thoroughly documented to date about the administrations failures. So let's not go there.

If you want to start a thread defending the Federal response to Katrina, please do so, I will be more than happy to contribute.
Actually the thread is to compare the Bush response to the Obama one..

Old 05-10-2010, 02:00 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,207,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually the thread is to compare the Bush response to the Obama one..
Um, thanks for telling him what his own thread is about.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 AM

438 posts, read 503,986 times
The Governor of Tennessee Bredesen praises the government's reponse.

From Tennesse Governor Bredesen himself

Quote:
I have to say that FEMA and the White House have both been absolutely supportive. Very quickly FEMA was on the ground here before the raindrops started falling. This is the Administrator’s second visit down here. The President was on the phone to me before the sun came up practically on Monday morning. Slightly after it came up, other people from the White House had called and checked in with us and helped. I've had a couple long conversations with Secretary Napolitano about how she could help.
Quote:
I have been -- I was mayor of Nashville for eight years before being governor, now seven. I've never seen this kind of a response to things that have happened. We’ve had our share of tornadoes and those kinds of things. So I'm -- certainly from my perspective as governor, we have a lot of issues to deal with; I'm very, very pleased with the response that we've gotten from the administration.
Conference Call on the Flooding in Tennessee with FEMA Administrator Fugate, Governor Phil Bredesen, Nashville Mayor Karl Dean, SVP American Red Cross Joe Becker | The White House

Old 05-10-2010, 06:43 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,127,133 times
Obama just sat there and stared with those Bush lost in headlights look. Spin it all you want want, if it walks like a Bush, talks like a Bush, acts like a Bush its a Bush. Obama is a Bush.
Obama's a Bush, baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies