Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:06 AM

38,575 posts, read 22,446,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
For the purpose of this thread, you have been temporarily taken off of my ignore list.

The potential for loss of life was 126, luckily the actual loss was 11.

You are aware that the U.S. Coast Guard is under... the Department of Homeland Security!

Back on the ignore list.
So as long as the Coast Guard handles the accident as routine, then 0bama is covered?

To upgrade the level of response of the accident and oil spill at sea takes a higher power then the Coast Guard. The 0bama admin and Homeland Security did not upgrade the incident, they were content to sit back and let BP and routine coast guard operations continue. The Coast Guard took no more then routine measures, because the 0bama admin was not competent enough to upgrade this spill to anything but routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
What resources would those be?

Outside of the Coast Guard, which is the size of the New York Police Department, the U.S. has very few resources to contain oil spills, that is the primary responsibility of the oil companies, and their private contractors whose job it is to do such work. Now if as a result of the Drill Baby Drill mantra, you folks would like to establish the U.S. Oil Spill Response Agency, that would have to approach the size and scope of the Coast Guard... go for it.
Quote:
What resources would those be?

Outside of the Coast Guard, which is the size of the New York Police Department, the U.S. has very few resources to contain oil spills, that is the primary responsibility of the oil companies, and their private contractors whose job it is to do such work. Now if as a result of the Drill Baby Drill mantra, you folks would like to establish the U.S. Oil Spill Response Agency, that would have to approach the size and scope of the Coast Guard... go for it.
You tell me. Was the pathetic response you and I saw the utmost we would have expected? Was this the best we could have done?

This is not just a slap at 0bama, even though he did not take it seriously until the spill was 20 miles off shore.

Did you read my entire post? If this was the best response we had, then 0bama should be shouting from the roof tops about the pathetic procedures for an oil spill at sea that he inherited.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,347,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Memo to media: Timeline contradicts "Obama's Katrina" claim | Media Matters for America

Thats the timeline for the oil spill. Officials were on the ground the next day.

Heres the opening line to the Katrina timeline

Friday, August 26
GOV. KATHLEEN BLANCO DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY IN LOUISIANA [Office of the Governor]

GULF COAST STATES REQUEST TROOP ASSISTANCE FROM PENTAGON: At a 9/1 press conference, Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré, commander, Joint Task Force Katrina, said that the Gulf States began the process of requesting additional forces on Friday, 8/26. [DOD]

Thats 3 days before it hit. Mississippi's governor asked for federal help the next day

TWO FULL DAYS BEFORE IT EVEN HIT THE COAST!!!!

Also, the day Katrina hit, AFTER the Bush administration had been informed that water was coming over the levies, and many had failed, he stopped for a photo op, with John McCain, for his birthday, awwww.

Here is the Katrina timeline

Think Progress » KATRINA TIMELINE

Federal officials weren't on the ground in New Orleans, until 3 full days after Katrina. They were resisting outside help until 5 full days after the Hurricane was over.

Look at the two links, read the response in full, know the extent of the damage caused by each event.

If you can honestly tell me that the Bush administrations response was as good as the Obama response to the oil spill, you're living in a partisan fantasy world.
Bush went on national TV 5 days before Katrina hit urging people to leave.

Mayor Nagan would NOT allow our national guard into the city limits for days after Katrina hit.
Our national guard including a nephew of mine sat outside of NO because Nagan wanted to be a hero and he screwed it up.
The governor of Louisiana did not want national assistance until it was too late.

Blanco and Nagan screwed this up bigtime as they wanted to be heros and tought they could handle it alone.

Bush did what he was suppose to do, he had the national guard sitting there waiting for the call for help, which Nagan did not allow them in into it was way too late.

Nagan should be in jail for his mishandling of Katrina and causing the deaths of so many people that could have been avoided.

His buses never moved, he did not follow the planned and talked about procedures in place even after they were reviewed days in advance.

In the end, the Mayor is responsible for the safety of the people in his town, his job was to evacuated those people by force is needed and he FAILED.

Bush has the NG sitting there and willing to help remove those people and Nagan would NOT allow them into the city.

Nagan wanted to be a hero and when he failed he blamed the feds for his mistakes that killed so many people.

YOUR MAYOR is responsible for your safety in your town, first and foremost, he is the first line of defense and has tons of options available. Nagan failed to use those options until it was too late.

I Obama does not care about this spill because he will use it to stop the drilling of our own oil in time. Wait and see. He will use this as a excuse to benefit himself and his agenda.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:18 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,347,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So as long as the Coast Guard handles the accident as routine, then 0bama is covered?

To upgrade the level of response of the accident and oil spill at sea takes a higher power then the Coast Guard. The 0bama admin and Homeland Security did not upgrade the incident, they were content to sit back and let BP and routine coast guard operations continue. The Coast Guard took no more then routine measures, because the 0bama admin was not competent enough to upgrade this spill to anything but routine.

Maybe Obama will call the CORPSMAN for help on this.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,832,530 times
The main difference between the two cases might be that Katrina was a natural phenomenon, whereas the spill was caused by the activities of a company. Thus Katrina was a public (state or federal) case from the moment it happened, while the government had to assume BP would manage to handle the problem.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,155,914 times
Quote:

I asked you are very pointedly, a question that you appear more than a bit reluctant to address, "what are these resources that the Federal government has at its disposal to handle industrial accident of this proportion?"

What resources has the Federal government put in place, since the passage of the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 following the Exxon Valdes accident other than establishing a 200 person National Strike Force under the U.S. Coast Guard that would give you the impression that there ARE resources at the government's disposal to deal with a spill of this proportion?

Unlike Katrina, commandeering massive fleets of trucks and aircraft to transport food, water, medical supplies, or temporary housing from government warehouses, military bases or distribution points isn't like having 4 story steel containment, whatever you want to call this thing that they tried to drop on to the well - that didn't work I might add - 5,000 feet below the surface. So, I am dying to know what these appropriate resources that you have imagined in your head might be?

Last edited by ovcatto; 05-09-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 12:02 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,155,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
This thread isn't to re-litigate the Bush response to Katrina. It is a losing proposition for those who attempt to mitigate what has been more than thoroughly documented to date about the administrations failures. So let's not go there.

If you want to start a thread defending the Federal response to Katrina, please do so, I will be more than happy to contribute.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I asked you are very pointedly, a question that you appear more than a bit reluctant to address, "what are these resources that the Federal government has at its disposal to handle industrial accident of this proportion?"
And I told you I have no clue, so you tell me what they are, and did we deploy them.

What i saw looked more like the coast Guard doing its best, and the rest of the federal government looking like a headless chicken, running around in a panic for someone to blame it on, and then shrugging it all off.

Quote:
What resources has the Federal government put in place, since the passage of the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 following the Exxon Valdes accident other than establishing a 200 person National Strike Force under the U.S. Coast Guard that would give you the impression that there ARE resources at the government's disposal to deal with a spill of this proportion?
We may even be getting close to the same thought here, if you could stop looking at this from the perspective of defending 0bama.

Do we have sufficient measures in place to contain oil spills in the Gulf, or is what we witnessed the best we have to offer? If our government has been fat dumb and happy with all but useless token gestures to stop a massive oil leak from making its way to pollute and devastate our coast lines.... well, here is 0bama's chance to set things right.

Quote:
Unlike Katrina, commandeering massive fleets of trucks and aircraft to transport food, water, medical supplies, or temporary housing from government warehouses, military bases or distribution points isn't like having 4 story steel containment, whatever you want to call this thing that they tried to drop on to the well - that didn't work I might add - 5,000 feet below the surface. So, I am dying to know what these appropriate resources that you have imagined in your head might be?
I'm not the oil spill expert here, but even some one as ignorant about the issue can see that we had a pathetic and all but worthless response. Did we learn nothing?

Is the answer to just leave it up to the oil companies to protect our coast lines, or should our federal government have a more appropriate response on the books to protect multiple states from oil spills like this?

What bothers me about this particular spill, is that our government is acting like meh, this was a good enough response, at least they made a token attempt, and they have their foot on the throat of BP... I feel so reassured now. As long as the government has a throat to place their foot on, who needs effective measures in place to contain an oil spill.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:30 PM

14,583 posts, read 23,149,917 times
Quote:
0bama's response to the disaster was the rescue effort, it never dawned on him or his administration that millions of gallons of oil were heading to the US coast, until about nine days after the fact.
Quote:

Of course it had nothing to do with BP telling everyone that the leak was very small, right?

Quote:
And I told you I have no clue, so you tell me what they are, and did we deploy them.
If you "have no clue" then it would probably be a good idea to shut the hell up and quit questioning the professionals dealing with this, don't you think?

Until you can provide an answer to "how could Obama have handled this differently" then your opinions have less than zero merit and should be kept to yourself.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:40 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,461,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Mayor Nagan would NOT allow our national guard into the city limits for days after Katrina hit.
Our national guard including a nephew of mine sat outside of NO because Nagan wanted to be a hero and he screwed it up.
The governor of Louisiana did not want national assistance until it was too late.

Blanco and Nagan screwed this up bigtime as they wanted to be heros and tought they could handle it alone.

Bush did what he was suppose to do, he had the national guard sitting there waiting for the call for help, which Nagan did not allow them in into it was way too late.

Nagan should be in jail for his mishandling of Katrina and causing the deaths of so many people that could have been avoided.

His buses never moved, he did not follow the planned and talked about procedures in place even after they were reviewed days in advance.

In the end, the Mayor is responsible for the safety of the people in his town, his job was to evacuated those people by force is needed and he FAILED.

Bush has the NG sitting there and willing to help remove those people and Nagan would NOT allow them into the city.

Nagan wanted to be a hero and when he failed he blamed the feds for his mistakes that killed so many people.

YOUR MAYOR is responsible for your safety in your town, first and foremost, he is the first line of defense and has tons of options available. Nagan failed to use those options until it was too late.

I Obama does not care about this spill because he will use it to stop the drilling of our own oil in time. Wait and see. He will use this as a excuse to benefit himself and his agenda.
You didn't even read the timeline did you?

Nagan and the governor of Louisiana asked for help from the federal government three full days before the Hurricane made landfall.

The day before it made landfall, and was upgraded to a cat 5 storm, Nagan was begging for federal aid and help, and ordered evacuation of the city 3 full days before it hit.

Keep living in a fantasy world, the truth shall set you free, if you let it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies