Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:55 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,984,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
but will they do to it send their kid to a private school or to make a car payment?
Are you arguing that a private school is the only place there are good teachers and good education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 02:19 PM

87 posts, read 393,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post

A high school teacher that is just starting out should be making around $30,000. With some experience and maybe a Masters I say around 50,000. A little less for elementary.
REALLY? You Americans sound crazy to me right now. In Canada teachers starting out making $45,000 or so and that increases yearly. Some of my highschool teachers in their early 50's, late 40's were making $90,000 a year.

What are the results? Well our public schools are probably in the same league as most American private schools. And getting into teachers college is harder than getting into law school. Because everyone wants to be a teacher. Our principal in high school had a Phd.

Ive had teachers i did and didnt like, but i knew they all cared first of all and they were all qualified.

Its kinda funny, in the US teachers are fairly poor, while in Canada teachers in average middle class suburban schools drive BMW's.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:20 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,659,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
One of the main reasons for the success of private schools is that students are not allowed to disrupt the education of other children and are disciplined when they get out of line. The public schools are all about catering to children's fragile self-esteems and do not place high enough expectations in terms of learning and discipline. When teachers and parents place such low standards upon their achievements, then why are we surprised that our nation's children are failing in the public schools?
I don't quite agree with all of your private school post. Now I am only talking about the two I have worked at and both are Catholic. But with the economy being so bad, they are losing students right and left. Discipline is not quite what it used to be. Upset a parent and they will pull their five kids out. If they can afford to stay, they usually have money to throw at the school so again they do not want to offend.

And I have seen the trend for quite a few years of catering to the fragile self-esteems. We have an 8th grade girl where I'm at now who has anger management issues. Talks back to the teachers and adults. Refuses to do certain things. The parents are always spoken to but she has been at the school all 8 years. Why? Mom and Dad have a few "normal" kids coming up and they want to keep the family in the school. Big contributors. I understand she is going to the Catholic high school in the area and I wonder how much they will take from her.

They are also following along with the public schools about test scores. They want to put high numbers on a sign in front of the school. This year they went down a bit and the principal had a fit. One of the teachers told me that they had changed all the textbooks and the curriculum this year and the "flow" wasn't there yet so the test scores went down. It's happened before when there have been changes and the scores always go up the following year.

Like I said, changes are happening in the private schools too. But for many parents it is still worth the extra expense to have them in private v. public.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ee View Post
REALLY? You Americans sound crazy to me right now. In Canada teachers starting out making $45,000 or so and that increases yearly. Some of my highschool teachers in their early 50's, late 40's were making $90,000 a year.

What are the results? Well our public schools are probably in the same league as most American private schools. And getting into teachers college is harder than getting into law school. Because everyone wants to be a teacher. Our principal in high school had a Phd.

Ive had teachers i did and didnt like, but i knew they all cared first of all and they were all qualified.

Its kinda funny, in the US teachers are fairly poor, while in Canada teachers in average middle class suburban schools drive BMW's.
So your argument is what? That teachers in Canada spend twice as much as teachers in the US for their education and get paid only a little more? Well that argument doesn't fly because quite a few teachers in the US have advanced degrees. Obviously there is more to what makes a good teacher than just a degree.

And I don't think driving a BMW is 'middle class'. I don't think most Americans do either.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:41 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,958,559 times
Why this sudden strong interest in teacher's salaries/benefits? It seems that teacher's are being targeted in a way they never have before.

Let's look at the military for a minute. Military members get automatic yearly pay raises and promotions (unless they really screw up), job security like nowhere else, housing, health benefits for life, the opportunity to have their college education entirely paid for (actually, they are paid a salary for the time they are in school, as well) cost of living adjustments depending on where they live, additional money for every child they have, substantial discounts for almost everything from food to entertainment and a great lifelong pension too.

Yes, many military members put their lives on the line. But, so do police officers, firefighters. Also, those that are in dangerous positions are given extra money in hazardous duty pay. Not that this lessens the risk, but the risk is recognized and rewarded, unlike in other professions. Beyond that, many will never be stationed anywhere near combat. Yet, they all receive the same benefits that are not seen anywhere in the civilian world, Not even close.

I'm not trying to bash the military, but why should I worry about stripping hardworking civilians of their job security and benefits while the military are still being given the moon and the sky? Complaining about teacher's salaries and benefits while ignoring the amazing compensation/perks military members and their families enjoy is like ignoring the giant elephant in the room.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Why this sudden strong interest in teacher's salaries/benefits? It seems that teacher's are being targeted in a way they never have before.

Let's look at the military for a minute. Military members get automatic yearly pay raises and promotions (unless they really screw up), job security like nowhere else, housing, health benefits for life, the opportunity to have their college education entirely paid for (actually, they are paid a salary for the time they are in school, as well) cost of living adjustments depending on where they live, additional money for every child they have, substantial discounts for almost everything from food to entertainment and a great lifelong pension too.

Yes, many military members put their lives on the line. But, so do police officers, firefighters. Also, those that are in dangerous positions are given extra money in hazardous duty pay. Not that this lessens the risk, but the risk is recognized and rewarded, unlike in other professions. Beyond that, many will never be stationed anywhere near combat. Yet, they all receive the same benefits that are not seen anywhere in the civilian world, Not even close.

I'm not trying to bash the military, but why should I worry about stripping hardworking civilians of their job security and benefits while the military are still being given the moon and the sky? Complaining about teacher's salaries and benefits while ignoring the amazing compensation/perks military members and their families enjoy is like ignoring the giant elephant in the room.
Mostly because teachers have become particularly vocal about their union contract disputes in recent years. Unfortunately as this thread demonstrates, they don't really have that much public support.

Disputing teacher compensation or performance measurements does not mean supporting military benefits. It's not an either/or issue.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,390,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I don't quite agree with all of your private school post. Now I am only talking about the two I have worked at and both are Catholic. But with the economy being so bad, they are losing students right and left. Discipline is not quite what it used to be. Upset a parent and they will pull their five kids out. If they can afford to stay, they usually have money to throw at the school so again they do not want to offend.

And I have seen the trend for quite a few years of catering to the fragile self-esteems. We have an 8th grade girl where I'm at now who has anger management issues. Talks back to the teachers and adults. Refuses to do certain things. The parents are always spoken to but she has been at the school all 8 years. Why? Mom and Dad have a few "normal" kids coming up and they want to keep the family in the school. Big contributors. I understand she is going to the Catholic high school in the area and I wonder how much they will take from her.

They are also following along with the public schools about test scores. They want to put high numbers on a sign in front of the school. This year they went down a bit and the principal had a fit. One of the teachers told me that they had changed all the textbooks and the curriculum this year and the "flow" wasn't there yet so the test scores went down. It's happened before when there have been changes and the scores always go up the following year.

Like I said, changes are happening in the private schools too. But for many parents it is still worth the extra expense to have them in private v. public.
I agree to the extent of my knowledge of private schools. Some friends had a kid who was hanging with a "bad" crowd, doing "bad" things, etc, so they decided to put him into Lutheran High in Denver. He managed to find a group there that was the same way. Lots of people send their kids to private schools after they've not done well in public school, so the pvt schools have a lot of kids with "histories".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies