Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,953,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
GOP makes no distrinction. Read it again.
You seem to think the more you come back on here to say this, that will make it true. The fact is 47 percent of Americans pay zero Federal income tax.

Read it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 01:47 PM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
It is the mantra of the pundits that 47% in this country pay no taxes, yet do not make the disctinction, or why these people don't pay taxes. They give the assumption that 47% of America is on the dole. Who cares? you should.
Who cares what pundits say?

We just made the distinction to you several times over.

47% of the population does not pay income tax. Everyone who has a job and a social security number pays payroll tax.

Income tax is income tax
Payroll tax (medicare and social security) is payroll tax
Payroll tax is not income tax
Income tax is not payroll tax

Okay- is that clear now?

Or is your point just to split hairs and to make some earth shattering "revelation" that everyone is just "lying" about 47% of the population not paying income taxes (which they do not)?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:47 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,125,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
You seem to think the more you come back on here to say this, that will make it true. The fact is 47 percent of Americans pay zero Federal income tax.

Read it again.

OK, here we go once again. Yes, 47% of people do not pay federal income tax. Duh.

The pundits like to bring the 47% up without distinguishing w*h*y, perpetuating the assumption that 47% of people in this country are on the dole.

What about the above do you NOT understand?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:50 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,348,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post

Read it again.
Yeah, but that's NOT what some of the TV & Radio GOP-leaning pundits said. What was said (by some - not all admittedly) was that they paid no no taxes at all - they didn't limit it just Income Tax. If you don't believe me, just read my post a page or so back and watch the video & listen to the audio yourself. It's right there in their own words: "pay NO Taxes".

Ken

Old 04-14-2010, 01:55 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,348,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Who cares what pundits say?

Well - I suspect there viewers do - and considering that there was Hannity on video saying that very thing ""pay no taxes" with the head of the RNC right there beside him (who didn't bother to correct him -and SHOULD have).

It IS true that MOST GOP pundits made the statement correctly (to their credit) - but certainly not all - and a couple of the ones who didn't (Savage and Hannity) are pretty big fish viewer/listener wise.

Ken

Old 04-14-2010, 03:39 PM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
OK, here we go once again. Yes, 47% of people do not pay federal income tax. Duh.

The pundits like to bring the 47% up without distinguishing w*h*y, perpetuating the assumption that 47% of people in this country are on the dole.

When I hear the pudits saying 47% don't pay taxes, I KNOW they are referrring to income tax.

Now that has been made clear to you, you will know what they are talking about. Quit trying to make something out of nothing.

Now to the post. I think every working person should pay something in INCOME TAX just for the privlege of living here.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Well, I just wrote 3 different tax checks and I am far from wealthy.

Same here. Geezus.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Don't get 'em started on the earned income credit some get instead...

Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,868 times
Quote:

Ok I am usually pretty good at getting the gist of things like this. Now I dont even get what is going on. Of the 47% what is the "dole" Does this mean they get some sort of assistance? OR does it mean when they file a return they get all of their money back and then some ala earned income credit? Someone plz specify

Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,839,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
When I hear the pudits saying 47% don't pay taxes, I KNOW they are referrring to income tax.
No necessarily. In fact, I saw a gif on Fox Business website that mentioned "no net Federal taxes". The purpose isn't to be precise or even be truthful, but to suggest to rather simple people that there are plenty of people riding free and contributing NOTHING to the nation. That belief, in itself, is lame.

And you won't hear the same pundits ever complain about corporations not paying any taxes either. That includes likes of Exxon that reported tens of billions in profit but has ZERO dollars in tax liability for 2009. In fact, according to a GAO report (http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/supporting/2008/GAO.FCDCs.081308.pdf - broken link), nearly 2/3 of corporations had zero tax liability. About a quarter of the top 1000 corporations in America paid zero federal taxes.

Why don't we hear about this from the same people and outlets? It is also amusing, to me, that nearly the same percentage of tea baggers fall in the same group in that they pay no federal income tax but proudly carry the banner "overtaxed already".

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 04-14-2010 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies