Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,308,708 times

Advertisements

If your on the Right side and misspell any words, then you will be bashed by the far left loonies...
Don't pay attention to them, as they only make themselves look bad and have no common sense.
Just look at the Left media are all in tank and the Right media is on top.
What does that tell you...
San Francisco is the perfect place for all these loonies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 11:59 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,241,028 times
[quote=DC at the Ridge;13651703]He was mocking the sign-holder when he posted.
we have better topics to discuss

Old 04-08-2010, 12:02 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,020,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Pronunciation is actually much more complex than spelling. We have dictionaries that make clear the standard spelling for words in common usage. However, if you will note, dictionaries come complete with multiple pronunciations for many words in common usage. Additionally, pronunciation is affected by regional variations, and by accents and even by family custom. For instance, I pronounce often with the "t" in it. Even though many Americans do not. I'm not mis-pronouncing the word, I'm using a variant pronunciation. People who are traveled or who have been educated in systems with people from other countries will even more often employ alternate pronunciations, it's a individuating linguistic characteristic.
I'll agree that pronunciation can be difficult.

In this case, it's to make a very specific point. The poster argued that someone who cannot spell a word means that they can't possibly understand that word.

I submit that 'corpsman'...especially to the Commander-in-Chief..should be much easier to pronounce than constitution is to spell for the average person. Therefore, if they can't pronounce it, they can't possibly understand it.

He put up a faulty argument, meant only to demean. I was simply pointing that out.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,322,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
individuating linguistic characteristic.
You'll never get your point across on this board by using words like those.

in-duh-vvvvi-dut...no, um...du-aaaaat-ing deep breath

this is hard.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,940,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So is he mocking the sign carriies when he mis-spelled misspelled
What word did he misspell?

When you got the error message for "misspell", YOU inadvertently included an extra "s". Misspell is spelled M I S S P E L L. I know, sometimes when you are looking at a correctly spelled word, it looks off. The hyphen is not necessary to correctly spell "misspell".

Old 04-08-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You'll never get your point across on this board by using words like those.

in-duh-vvvvi-dut...no, um...du-aaaaat-ing deep breath

this is hard.
individuating, is something about someone that sets them apart from those around them, it distinguishes them from the norm.

linguistic, is having something to do with language.

characteristic, is a mark or habit or behavior that can be associated with you in terms of your identity.

individuating linguistic characteristic=something about the way you talk or use words that is peculiar to you which you do so regularly and that can be considered associated to you.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post

In this case, it's to make a very specific point. The poster argued that someone who cannot spell a word means that they can't possibly understand that word.

I submit that 'corpsman'...especially to the Commander-in-Chief..should be much easier to pronounce than constitution is to spell for the average person. Therefore, if they can't pronounce it, they can't possibly understand it.

He put up a faulty argument, meant only to demean. I was simply pointing that out.
I do understand your point, and that the intention on the OP's part was to demean.

I agree that the OP argument is flawed, if only because the photo encompasses much more than the self-described "hillbilly, ridgerunner" in the center and the misspelled sign behind him. And many of those people are well-dressed and look like perfectly respectable, upstanding citizens to me. They simply weren't as interesting to the reporter as the "hillbilly, ridgerunner" and the misspelled sign.

I disagree with you, though, about the "corpsman" issue. I think it's very easy to mispronounce a word like this when you are reading it, and a verbal stumble is more forgiveable to me than a misspelled sign when the person went to the trouble of making a sign to display at an event. If you're going to the trouble of making the sign, why not take a few seconds to check the spelling? Or, if someone else at the event points out the error to you, why not make a new sign? Sometimes there seems to be a certain degree of pride in the misspellings. I don't get that.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,692,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Notice the sign in the photo. You would think they would make a conscious effort to spell words correctly after all the criticism they have received about misspellings.

Tea Party rally: Flags, signs and vows to 'Vote Them Out' - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/tea-party-rally-flags-signs-and-vows-to-vote-them-out.html - broken link)

Ok Ok they can't spell but it appears their math is pretty good.
taxes + spending = no money in your wallet.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,227,854 times
Default I'm doing it again, lets see if you fall for it twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post

I never said that. What I said was that the Constition is a legal document, and if one cannot spell it, it is likely one cannot understand it. I'm sure they know the definition of Constition, but to understand the document itself is something completely different. The misspelled signs don't make the sign holders ignorant, it merely illustrates it. It is a correlation, not a cause.
Quote:

I put no faulty argument. What are you implying that someone who cannot pronouce corpsman doesn't not understand? What knowledge is lacking by not being able to pronounce.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Ok Ok they can't spell but it appears their math is pretty good.
taxes + spending = no money in your wallet.
The best TP sign I ever saw was one that said, "Cut taxes, not defense"! Explain that one to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies