Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:06 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times

Advertisements

Who cares if there are a few misspelled words. I bet there is not one person attending a Tea Party that cannot figure out if they are a man or a woman.....that's real ignorance in the most basic sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:08 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Notice the sign in the photo. You would think they would make a conscious effort to spell words correctly after all the criticism they have received about misspellings.

Tea Party rally: Flags, signs and vows to 'Vote Them Out' - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/tea-party-rally-flags-signs-and-vows-to-vote-them-out.html - broken link)

probably more acorn members trying to act like tea party members again.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:08 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Notice the sign in the photo. You would think they would make a conscious effort to spell words correctly after all the criticism they have received about misspellings.

Tea Party rally: Flags, signs and vows to 'Vote Them Out' - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/tea-party-rally-flags-signs-and-vows-to-vote-them-out.html - broken link)
God, that's a hell of a sin. Nobody else has ever misspelled a word or formed a grammatically incorrect sentence before--this has got to be a first. They are probably too busy working 20 hours a day supporting you oh-so-high-and-mighty-intellectuals who have nothing better to do than proofread signs all day. Get a life.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
God, that's a hell of a sin. Nobody else has ever misspelled a word or formed a grammatically incorrect sentence before--this has got to be a first. They are probably too busy working 20 hours a day supporting you oh-so-high-and-mighty-intellectuals who have nothing better to do than proofread signs all day. Get a life.
Notice the OP, it says, again. This is a pattern with the tea party. Apparently literacy is not a big issue with them. Who needs to know how to read and write when you have god on your side.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
probably more acorn members trying to act like tea party members again.

You know it! People attending Tea Parties need to take pictures of and get the license of anyone who is suspicious. The left are very adept at low life actions. If they keep it up we will have to play their games.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,000 times
Quote:
A pattern must exist. I don't know the details of Obama's mispronounciations. Was it the same day, was it weeks apart, months apart? I really don't know. But if it was a pattern, I'd say there is a problem.

"What is info does a mispronunciation reveal" I think it's obvious that I meant to omit "is". It be what it be. Nevertheless, it's a good way to avoid the question.
First time at the Naval Air Station, October 2009. Standing in front of corpsmen.

Second time, speech in Feb 2010.

Yes, it was obvious what you meant. Just as it was obvious what the Tea Party sign meant. Good enough for them, good enough for you.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
First time at the Naval Air Station, October 2009. Standing in front of corpsmen.

Second time, speech in Feb 2010.

Yes, it was obvious what you meant. Just as it was obvious what the Tea Party sign meant. Good enough for them, good enough for you.
Judging from Obama's mispronounciations, I'd have to guess he probably doesn't know much about military culture. I didn't know how to pronounce "corpsmen" myself until I heard my uncle pronounce it several times. If it wasn't for him I'd probably still wouldn't know. I think it's obvious that Obama has not had much exposure to military culture, especially at the rank and file level. Is that the same as not knowing the complexities of the military organization ? I don't think so.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:25 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,000 times
Quote:
Judging from Obama's mispronounciations, I'd have to guess he probably doesn't know much about military culture. I didn't know how to pronounce "corpsmen" myself until I heard my uncle pronounce it several times. If it wasn't for him I'd probably still wouldn't know. I think it's obvious that Obama has not had much exposure to military culture, especially at the rank and file level. Is that the same as not knowing the complexities of the military organization ? I don't think so.
Well, if as you say, he doesn't know much about military culture (I agree), then he likely cannot truly understand the complexities of the military organization. An organization which has it's own very distinct culture.

So, in summary...you argue that if you can't spell 'constitution', then you can't understand it. It being not the definition of 'written laws', but the actual document.

I argue that if you can't pronounce 'corpsman', then you can't understand it. It being not the definition of a certain rank, but the organization in which it resides.

Truce? I'm tired.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Notice the OP, it says, again. This is a pattern with the tea party. Apparently literacy is not a big issue with them. Who needs to know how to read and write when you have god on your side.
As I said, they are probably too busy working to support the other half of the nation that sits around and reads Derrida, Nietzsche, and Marx all day. They have no time to learn to read or write. They have to support both themselves and the elites. Someone has to support the country. It used to be slaves. They didn't have to read either. But there are no slaves to support the elites now; now we have uneducated rednecks. I'd laugh my ass off if those uneducated, misspelling rednecks refused to support the over-educated and largely useless demigods.

You tell me who is more useful to a productive society, a postmodern literature professor or a welder who can’t spell? Or a truck driver who can’t spell? Or a mechanic who can’t spell? Or even the guy that picks up your trash, who probably can’t spell? Try doing without him for six months. Those are your worthless 'teabaggers.'

Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
That's like the Donks saying who needs to know how to read when you've got Pelosi to tell you what to do. You can apply that literacy test here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies