Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:06 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,281,031 times

Advertisements

Im not into the whole entertainment tonight thing but i saw on the news that Paris Hilton is getting put on house arrest rather tha serving her sentence. She claimed to have medical problems that wouldnt allow her to remain in jail for her sentence.. Ok I am a white man right.....

and i am really frikin outraged at this because i am not one of those rich white people that minorities talk about always not having to deal with poverty or all of what they think in thier heads about white people. That's not me....

I'm 29 years old and split rent with my mother and have to make repairs on my messed up car and get teeth pulled cuz of cavities and cant afford to and i dont even have the money for a bank account but i am in school between semesters ....i took time from school cuz of bills that had to be payed and no i dont have even one credit card ....im talkin of real bills......

well now this "rich white girl" gets off because she throws a little hissy fit about not being able to stay in her jail cell....and that just adds to the stereotype of how white people in america have every thing tha way they want it......

does anyone out there disagree and understand why they let her out? or does anyone take this as another white person doesnt have to go through the struggles of minorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:34 PM

7,548 posts, read 17,292,109 times
Quote:
or does anyone take this as another white person doesnt have to go through the struggles of minorities?
I don't think *anyone* has taken it this way! There are millions of people in America that experience shoestring budgets, millions more that live in abject poverty, regardless of race or ethnic origin.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,235,784 times
I think it's terrible that she was let out of jail. That's call enabling. It's bad enough when parents and the like do it, but when the law does it, that's pretty pathetic. With the little slap on the wrist, she may never own up to her responsibilities if she's treated like a princess, a princess that she IS NOT!!

I don't believe it has anything to do with minorities. Maybe being rich helps, I don't know. Remember O.J.? That's a perfect case where being in the minority didn't have anything to do with murdering two people.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,247,709 times
Do I think that whites are treated the same as minorities in the crimial justice system? No. I don't know anyone who could say that. But I also think that if this was Oprah, the same thing would have happened. Because the only color more important than Black and White in the USA is Green.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 PM

1,399 posts, read 7,713,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Because the only color more important than Black and White in the USA is Green.
bullseye...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,308,742 times
I have to say this whole thing is disgusting...

My neice whose life is one nightmare of drugs and alcohol after another, wants to live her life like Paris...of course her parents don't have the money that the Hilton's do...This breaking the law and pleading ignorance is setting a dangerous precendence for all the dizty followers of hers out there...

Paris should be in jail where anyone else would be...no matter what fit of the vapors she throws...AND that is my guess, that she fainted or some such thing to get out of being in jail.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,686,431 times
I don't think there's a racial inequality in our criminal justice system. I do think wealthy people can afford better attorneys and therefore are treated with more respect under the law. Really it's just simple math. A poor defendant has a public defender who has most likely 50 other clients while prosecutors usually have much smaller case loads, their own investigators and crime labs to back them up. If a defendant has money it doesn't matter what his race is. If a defendant doesn't have money he is most likely going to sit in jail for the better part of a year before his case is resolved. Frequently, pleading it out to time served just to get released from jail. Even if he's factually innocent.

As far as the Hilton case goes we'll find out tomorrow if she has to go back to jail. I was watching a cable news program this evening where several experts spoke on the subject. The concessus was that the Sheriff has the authority to release her because it's his jail. Even so, they are reporting that the judge was consulted before Paris was released. She has to go before the judge tomorrow because the city attorney scheduled it, not the judge.

They also reported that the LA jail, under the authority of the Sheriff, released over 200,000 people last year early from their sentences. Most straight onto the streets without the electronic monitoring that Hilton has.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I don't think there's a racial inequality in our criminal justice system. I do think wealthy people can afford better attorneys and therefore are treated with more respect under the law. Really it's just simple math. A poor defendant has a public defender who has most likely 50 other clients while prosecutors usually have much smaller case loads, their own investigators and crime labs to back them up. If a defendant has money it doesn't matter what his race it. If a defendant doesn't have money he is most likely going to sit in jail for the better part of a year before his case is resolved. Frequently pleading it out to time served just to get released from jail. Even if he's factually innocent.

As far as the Hilton case goes we'll find out tomorrow if she has to go back to jail. I was watching a cable news program this evening where several experts spoke on the subject. The concessus was that the Sheriff has the authority to release her because it's his jail. Even so they are reporting that the judge was consulted before Paris was released. She has to go before the judge tomorrow because the city attorney ordered it, not the judge.

They also reported that the LA jail, under the authority of the Sheriff, released over 200,000 people last year early from their sentences. Most straight onto the streets without the electronic monitoring that Hilton has.
I am originally from Texas and I can tell you for a fact that there is racial inequality there...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:54 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,581,510 times
I dont think it is so much a race issue as a who are you issue. I am just a middle aged bald white dude with out a pot to p** in. I think if i was in the clink for 3 days and started that crap they would say suck it up ya wimp.
I also think she was starting to go into some type of withdrawl

Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
I dont think it is so much a race issue as a who are you issue. I am just a middle aged bald white dude with out a pot to p** in. I think if i was in the clink for 3 days and started that crap they would say suck it up ya wimp.
I also think she was starting to go into some type of withdrawl

Normal people would have been sent to the medical ward at the jail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies