Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,324,589 times

Advertisements

Should schools be held responsible for this type of bullying? I personally hope these schools get sued. I'm sick and tired of teachers giving a blind eye to this. Teachers are aware of school bullying but tend to do nothing about it. For all the talk about teachers being saints and giving above and beyond, I say hogwash. I've seen several lazy teachers growing up ignore bullying. School administrators often don't care.

Say what you will but kids get meaner every year. The bullying becomes more sophisticated and there are truly some demented kids out there who derive pleasure from seeing others suffer.

When I was a kid, we had bullying but it was usually short lived. You got over it and so did the bullies. You got into a couple of fights and it was over. Now, these bullies are obsessed and don't let it go and the teachers, coaches and administrators don't care.

This is one time where I cheer on the lawyers and I hope they sue the hell out of these schools and send a message. Teachers can no longer be lazy a$#$# and ignore bullying. I also think the parents of these bullies should be held accountable and named in any such lawsuit. There are a lot of bad parents who get off on their kids being bullies, they think it's funny or that their kid is tough.

13-Year-Old Jon Carmichael Commits Suicide Following Bullying (VIDEO) - Crimesider - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,349,754 times
I stated this in the thread about the girl from Mass who committed suicide as well. In the past, a kid could get away from the bullying once the school day ended.

Now, with youtube and smartphones and facebook, the bullying can be a 24/7 life consuming hell for some of these kids. It's a new era of bullying that I don't think school administrators and other authorites have learned to deal with yet.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
I was heavily bullied when I was a small child. With the outbreak of puberty the small was removed and the rage intensified. I remembered who the bullies were (it was a small community) and returned the favor with a couple of cracked skulls and broken bones. The bullying stopped. I never considered suicide but killing my tormentors was not beyond consideration. I let them live as examples and because the paperwork involved in killing the bastards was not worth the effort.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 AM

223 posts, read 169,898 times
What can the teacher actually do?
In all seriousness, I ask this question.

They can tell the parents, but it is the parent's responsibility to teach their children and discipline them.
A teacher's job is to teach.
They can't be with each student all day.
Don't you think that these bullies are sly? They won't take action if an authority figure is in the viewing area.

When will the bullies and their parents be held responsible for their actions and the blame taken from the easy target of the school?

The parent of the bullied kids need to talk to the parents of the bullies, go to school board meetings, take legal action as necessary, etc.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:33 AM

938 posts, read 1,231,773 times
the Schools don't need to be sued, that's ridiculous. the PARENTS need their butts kicked for raising such a soft kid. My ol' man told me if I ever got my butt kicked by a bully, he too would kick my butt when I got home. Let's just say my ol' man NEVER had to kick my butt.

I don't undeerstand all this suicide after being bullied. that's crap. how low of self esteem does a kid have to have to take their own life after some punks in their classroom bullies them??????

MY GOD....

Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM

938 posts, read 1,231,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiemame View Post
the parent of the bullied kids need to talk to the parents of the bullies, go to school board meetings, take legal action as necessary, etc.
legal actions? Are you crazy?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame View Post
What can the teacher actually do?
In all seriousness, I ask this question.

They can tell the parents, but it is the parent's responsibility to teach their children and discipline them.
A teacher's job is to teach.
They can't be with each student all day.
Don't you think that these bullies are sly? They won't take action if an authority figure is in the viewing area.

When will the bullies and their parents be held responsible for their actions and the blame taken from the easy target of the school?

The parent of the bullied kids need to talk to the parents of the bullies, go to school board meetings, take legal action as necessary, etc.
Report the bullies to the principal or VP or Dean for action to be taken against them.

Many teachers turn a blind eye, many teachers were bullies themselves and think it's funny. I know it happened all the time when I was in HS... teachers and hall monitors turned a blind eye to bullying that I witnessed, sometimes even laughing it off.

We just had a situation where a family friends teen in HS was bullied for months and publically threatened in front of at least 4 teachers and a hall monitor at an assembly. The teachers took no action, and the teen was jumped and severely beaten later that day.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,009,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was heavily bullied when I was a small child. With the outbreak of puberty the small was removed and the rage intensified. I remembered who the bullies were (it was a small community) and returned the favor with a couple of cracked skulls and broken bones. The bullying stopped. I never considered suicide but killing my tormentors was not beyond consideration. I let them live as examples and because the paperwork involved in killing the bastards was not worth the effort.

I was going to say... when all avenues have been exhausted, a good punch in the face (make it count of course) usually does the trick! Allthough, thinking of killing someone is a bit extreme. The parents of bullies need to be held accountable for what their kid does. I saw another poster mention that his dad would whoop his butt if he got his butt kicked; I had friends who were like that. IMO not something I would teach my kid. I have however; told my son and encourage him to handle his business if someone starts with him. I've also encouraged him to stick up for someone who is being bullied, and not go along with the other kids just because it's the "cool thing to do."

Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 AM

44 posts, read 54,809 times
You cannot blame all these incidents on the school alone. Parents need to tell their children to toughen up and IMO take a swing at bullies, that will definitely shut them up. No matter what the school does there will always be bullying, no one is perfect. And if a child commits suicide, then they must have other problems at home or mentally. When I was in school bullying would always brighten up the rather dull school day. Everyone needs a good laugh, maybe if school wasn't so uneventful the kids would have something better to do then bully others.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,160,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Should schools be held responsible for this type of bullying? I personally hope these schools get sued. I'm sick and tired of teachers giving a blind eye to this. Teachers are aware of school bullying but tend to do nothing about it. For all the talk about teachers being saints and giving above and beyond, I say hogwash. I've seen several lazy teachers growing up ignore bullying. School administrators often don't care.

Say what you will but kids get meaner every year. The bullying becomes more sophisticated and there are truly some demented kids out there who derive pleasure from seeing others suffer.

When I was a kid, we had bullying but it was usually short lived. You got over it and so did the bullies. You got into a couple of fights and it was over. Now, these bullies are obsessed and don't let it go and the teachers, coaches and administrators don't care.

This is one time where I cheer on the lawyers and I hope they sue the hell out of these schools and send a message. Teachers can no longer be lazy a$#$# and ignore bullying. I also think the parents of these bullies should be held accountable and named in any such lawsuit. There are a lot of bad parents who get off on their kids being bullies, they think it's funny or that their kid is tough.

13-Year-Old Jon Carmichael Commits Suicide Following Bullying (VIDEO) - Crimesider - CBS News
I totally agree. It makes me sad and furious when I read stories like this. The 'disagreeable' side of me comes out where I want to personally drive to these schools, and to these bullys' parents house, and take care of business myself. It wouldn't be pretty. (Un)fortunately, the legal system will have to run its course. It's a good thing i'm not in charge of justice in this country, because it would be adminstered with a demonstrably heavy hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies