Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,334,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
I agree. I have a 6th grader who doesn't get bullied, but did have an isolated incident earlier this year where an 8th grader hit him in the head a few times. Both got suspended from the bus so I had to go down and pick my kid up and have a conference with the assistant principle. The first thing out of Ap's mouth was that somehow my kid was asking for it. I said yeah well he can be annoying at times, but that's no excuse. He again goes into how my son's behavior contributed to the fight. I responded you know if you and I were out in public and I'm annoying you, cutting you off in traffic, talking about your momma, whatever, that's one thing but it becomes a crime when you start putting your hands on me. His tone completely changed at that moment.

After more discussion he said I could press charges against the 8th grader, which I was more than willing to do but he advised against it and the campus cop had left for the day anyhow. Of course he's going to advise against it, what administrator want's to draw attention to thier school in a negative way? I ended up not pressing charges mainly because his mother and my son didn't want that either, but parents of bullied kids need to realize that often thier is more than just bullying going on but crimes are also being committed. Let some of these 8th graders who enjoy bullying and violence go to the juvenile detention center and have some 10th graders fan thier head for awhile and see how they like being on the recieving end.
Thank you, your story confirms my point. The Assistant Principal didn't care and was trying to cover his butt. If you had filed charges, it would reflect poorly on him. He only cared about himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
A nice self defense class would do some kids some good. Also a bully needs their buts kicked from time to time.
Do those Tae Kwan Do classes teach kids how to avoid getting suspended when they defend themselves in a fight?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,334,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Some of you are arguing that parents need to do a better job teaching their kids to stand up for themselves yet schools don't make that easy. If your kid defends himself and gets into a fight then he is punished. For many kids, this can be crippling on college applications. A lot of kids don't fight back for this reason because they have a lot more to lose than the idiots who bully kids. The way I look at it is if a school can punish kids for getting into fights then they can apply the same efforts to preventing fights and bullying from occurring at the start.
This is one of the best responses on this thread. Well said!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 AM

412 posts, read 940,849 times
Those of you that think the bullied kids are to blame for this, since they were "weak" or "soft," did you read about what happened to Phoebe Prince? What happened to her was just horrible. Do you really think starting a fight with the girls that were bullying her would have helped anything? I think it would have made everything worse.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,691,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My dad told me the same thing so I went onto the Wrestling team, and 3 fights after that never got messed with again.

Kids do need to toughen up, however what kind of a horrible parent raises a kid that enjoys bullying?
Some kids are not psychically able to fight back either... and those are usually the ones picked on.

And I agree, any kind of parent that would raise a bully, and accept their child's bullying, is a bad one.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 AM

938 posts, read 1,232,184 times
Quote:
Do those Tae Kwan Do classes teach kids how to avoid getting suspended when they defend themselves in a fight?
I would be proud if my kid got suspended for standing up to a bully.

I would be sad if a bully punk'd my kid into suicide.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,479,056 times
Quote:
Some of you are arguing that parents need to do a better job teaching their kids to stand up for themselves yet schools don't make that easy. If your kid defends himself and gets into a fight then he is punished. For many kids, this can be crippling on college applications. A lot of kids don't fight back for this reason because they have a lot more to lose than the idiots who bully kids. The way I look at it is if a school can punish kids for getting into fights then they can apply the same efforts to preventing fights and bullying from occurring at the start.

Tlhank you and very well said indeed. The Schools do not make it easy for kids to stand up for themselves, and i believe some do turn their head the opposite way, and ignore what is happening. Bullying on a every day basic from more then one kid, each and every day, starts to wear on your Soul. For those that are weak, they feel they have no way out, they have no purpose. It is the Parents job to raise there kids respectively, and to not hurt others, but in the real world, this does not happen. But i also believe our kids spend a lot of time at School, the teachers know what kids are the bully's and which kids are the victims. I believe they do have a hand it what happens at school. the schools these days, turn's a blind eyes to what happens at their schools, unless it is very good news, they do not want to draw negative attention to themselves or their schools, something must be done to stop this trend, because this is something that has been going on much to long. The bully's need to go to a BOOT CAMP, and get there butt's kick, along with there parents for rasing such a horrible child.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

It is the teachers' job to control the behavior in school. It goes with the territory.
kids are not stupid. they don't bully each other in plain sight where the teacher can catch it. most times it's on the playground, after school, online(for idiot parents), and so on...

Old 04-01-2010, 10:11 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,565,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think the problem is teachers and administrators don't take it seriously and just assume it's a part of growing up. Maybe that was the case at one time but not any longer. It starts in the classroom. I always wondered why teachers and schools wouldn't try to educate kids about bullying much like they teach kids about drugs and alcohol. We had so many discussions related to drugs, teenage sex and pregnancy but not one lecture about bullying or hazing! And I thought the latter subject was more meaningful. A lot of bullies don't realize the consequences of their actions and if they were educated and made aware of how serious their bullying can be, I'm guessing they would scale it back. I also think the followers of bullies need to be educated. They are part of the problem. Bullies rarely travel alone. People who are just observing bullying contribute to the problem. Those followers need to be educated too.

Nonetheless, I realize bullying and hazing is a part of life. It's a part of bonding among males too. A little bit is good for the soul and toughens you up. But this targeted excessive bullying is not healthy. And teachers see it and do nothing about it. This 13 yo kid was picked on because he was short. He was tossed into a trash can at school. I guarantee this kid was picked on this class room as well. These teachers did nothing

Oh, please! Kids get bullied. What's new about that?

Thank goodness my grandson goes to school which still has some good sense. He's in the 2nd grade and some bullies had been picking on him for some time and, though Mom went down to the school raising hell, not much happened.

Well...a few weeks ago, the bullying turned into an actual assault and my grandson, Bless his heart, whipped all three of them right outside the cafeteria! A teacher said it looked like a gangster movie with bodies flying around and blood flowing as my grandson took care of the bullies the "old fashioned" way.

Did anybody get arrested? NO! The parents of the kid who started the fight got a call and my grandson got a hug from the Principal who told him how PROUD she was of him!

End of problem.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 AM

I'm pretty fed up with you kit glove soccer moms coming on here crying for arrests and legal actions !!...on kids of all people!!!
you suck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies