Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Racial Category Are You Going To Check In The 2010 U.S Census Form ?
White 52 62.65%
Black, African American, Or Negro 12 14.46%
American Indian Or Alaska Native 4 4.82%
Asian Indian 3 3.61%
Chinese 1 1.20%
Filipino 0 0%
Japanese 0 0%
Korean 0 0%
Vietnamese 0 0%
Native Hawaiin 0 0%
Guamanian Or Chamorro 0 0%
Samoan 0 0%
Other Asian 0 0%
Other Pacific Islander 0 0%
Some Other Race 11 13.25%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 AM

32,948 posts, read 19,633,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
I am surprised very few Hispanics in the U.S classify themselves as Indian, considering most Hispanics in the U.S physically look closer to George Lopez in racial phenotype/appearance than they do to George W. Bush.
that is why 'hispanic' or spanish is not condidered a race

remember most of those that you call "most Hispanics in the U.S." are actually decendend from the orgiganal americans (north/centran/south) that crossed the area know as the bering straight...and they are a branch of the mongoloids or asians....the reason for them speaking a off shoot of spanish is the spanish (Spain) conquest of the world

me, I am a mutt, mostly italian and spanish (Spain) and some indian, and some black.....and I look white

my wife is 100% spanish...from Spain...and she is very white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 AM

18,951 posts, read 43,896,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I think we should all write in......"HUMAN race"...since that is the race we ALL are

no more statusfying things
There's no such thing as "human race", we are a human species. Race basically equals sub-species.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:02 AM

32,948 posts, read 19,633,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There's no such thing as "human race", we are a human species. Race basically equals sub-species.
not quite

Referring to natural species, in general, the term "race" is obsolete, particularly if a species is uniformly distributed on a territory. In its modern scientific connotation, the term is not applicable to a species as genetically homogeneous as the human one, as stated in the declaration on race (UNESCO 1950).

Genetic studies have substantiated the absence of biological borders, thus the term "race" has de facto disappeared from the scientific terminology, both in biological anthropology and in human genetics.

What in the past had been defined as "races"—e.g., whites, blacks, or Asians—are now defined as "ethnic groups" or "populations", in correlation with the field (sociology, anthropology, genetics) in which they are considered.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 AM

4,592 posts, read 9,243,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I don't get the "Black, African-American, or Negro" thing.

The first two titles are fine. Why is Negro even necessary? It doesn't offend me. I just don't see the point of it being there.
Some older blacks still call themselves negro. That is why negro is on there.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,705,745 times
American Indian and proud of it. The ask which tribe you are registered with also. Funny, they don't ask you your original country of origin if you're white, as in Italy, Germany, or Sweden. I wonder why?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,701,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I'm white, too.

I lol'ed at "Negro". Does anyone still use that term anymore?

What about "Colored"

Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,175,632 times
Beige

Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 PM

680 posts, read 1,388,740 times
I wish there was an option we could check that says "What is this, 1960? We're Americans, mutts, human beings. Get over the racial divisions and start solving our common problems."

Old 03-29-2010, 01:48 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,979,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Left it blank. Race and ethnicity are not important and the government shouldn't be so racist. What does it matter to the government what my ethnicity is?
Simple: for the redrawing of Congressional Districts. By determining where a large number of a certain party's "traditional constituents" are, they can redraw these districts. With the associated new representatives in Congress voting their way, they further consolidate their power.

As to what I'll check....American Indian. I am an enrolled member of the Comanche Nation of Oklahoma.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:57 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,979,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
American Indian and proud of it. The ask which tribe you are registered with also. Funny, they don't ask you your original country of origin if you're white, as in Italy, Germany, or Sweden. I wonder why?
Well, it's either so they count only enrolled NDNs (which would be a switch) OR.....drum roll please....ANOTHER ROUND OF TERMINATIONS!!!!!!

I think #2 is the more likely reason. Tell FB32 what he has won Johnny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies