Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:16 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times

Advertisements

Judging from many of the posts from my previous poll regarding whether people on this forum were liberal or conservative from both an economic and social standpoint, it appears to me that the vast majority of Americans would prefer to have the government just hold the purse strings of the nation, provide safety, education standards and funding, infrastructure funding, and scant else. Many of my friends who are quite liberal are even scared of how large the budget deficit is growing, to various reasons why it was allowed to do so (ranging from "the government doesn't understand capitalist processes" to "it was a vast conspiracy to undervalue the stock market so investment banks can reorganize and make a huge killing" to "we're having China invest so much into our debt that we basically own them").

Why can't the government simply pay as you go? Why can't they slap tariffs on countries' imports if they hold unfair business practices against foreign firms (*COUGH CHINA COUGH*) to create balance in the trade deficit? And why isn't this the #1 issue that they confront all the time?

I think one realm where I think Democrats and Republicans share common ground is keeping the deficit under control. They may have various means and different opinions on how to do so, but at least it provides a common basis. The Legislature enacting policies to "pay as you go" recently shows this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
You don't think people want their Medicare and Social Security? Those are the big budget items along with interest on the debt. The government's going to have to raise taxes because the American people are not going to tolerate reductions in those two benefits.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:15 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
When will politicians learn that nearly 100% of Americans are financially conservative?

If 100% of the American population is financially conservative, then what explains the the skyrocketing home foreclosure rates?

Since 1980, American personal savings have dropped something on the order of 84% while personal debt has increased like 217%, how is this financially conservative?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:19 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
So, the real question is....

Is there a difference between micro-economics and macro-economics?

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-14-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
So, the real question is....

Is there a difference between micro-economics and macro-economics?
If the average households keeps on spending more these days and is not saving anything anymore, how can the average household blame the government for spending too much?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Our household has always saved and bought with cash except for a mortgage. What I don't understand is how a bank can pay only 2% on a savings account and collect 20+% on a credit card and not get hauled into jail for usury. Most Americans, like most corporations, don't save because there is no gain in doing so.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
They are NOT financially conservative even politically conservative people... My wife constantly thinks we should overspend and then gets mad at me when I bring her back down to earth...

Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
When will politicians learn that nearly 100% of Americans are financially conservative?

If 100% of the American population is financially conservative, then what explains the the skyrocketing home foreclosure rates?

Since 1980, American personal savings have dropped something on the order of 84% while personal debt has increased like 217%, how is this financially conservative?
Personal financial habits and desires for governmental spending restraint are two separate things. Expecting the government to act responsibly in managing its debt and spending is something I think most Americans desire.

Individuals' personal spending and savings habits are of no concern. What the government does with taxpayer money and borrowed money the taxpayers will be liable for, is of everyone's concern.

Who doesn't want a balanced budget??

Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Why did it take six posts before the obvious? Why is someone even asking, why? Why do comfortable, middle class, American's not get that America has a HUGE underclass that undermines ALL of the metrics that track things like savings to debt ratio's etc. How do you save when you work two minimum wage jobs? Do you have any idea how many millions there are doing that? Credit cards... ... it would be humorous, the level of disconnect in this country if it weren't so sad.

H

Old 05-12-2010, 11:32 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Personal financial habits and desires for governmental spending restraint are two separate things. Expecting the government to act responsibly in managing its debt and spending is something I think most Americans desire.

Individuals' personal spending and savings habits are of no concern. What the government does with taxpayer money and borrowed money the taxpayers will be liable for, is of everyone's concern.

Who doesn't want a balanced budget??
Individuals' spending habits that lead to default/bankruptcy do affect me and are of my concern. Ever driven through a neighborhood where half the homes were in foreclosure? People not paying their bills raise everybody else's rates.

Too many people are not concerned about their own financial liabilities. I can't see why they'd be so concerned about government spending. Perhaps they like to pay attention to what the government does while ignoring their own spending?

Maybe it's a case of "do as I say and not as I do".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies