Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,252,431 times

Advertisements

Politicians in the modern era have been less than ideal. There are politicians that run on one platform and act on another, once elected. There are politicians that focus more on social issues rather than the base issues such as the economy. There are politicians that promise change in one area and then ignore it once elected. There are politicians that are literally crooks.

Take the current issue of the national debt. Politicians in the previous few decades have raised the debt ceiling, without ever considering to lower it. They have lowered taxes, fought wars, and expanded government functions without paying off debt. These politicians have been from both parties and each have raised our debt without paying it off.

Some politicians care more about the few rich people rather than your average American. Others care more about making the other party look bad whilst sacrificing the state of the nation.

How do you solve this problem knowing that you are always going to have voters voting purely based on the party line? There is no changing the radical Christians that care about issues such as abortion and gays, there is no changing people who don't want to pay taxes, there is no changing people who require social welfare, there is no changing people who are ignorant, and there is no changing politicians who say one thing and do another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,616,012 times
Change the character of Americans.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,387,431 times
Default How can Americans change the caliber of their politicians?

Set an age limit, set short term limits in every position, start a quick impeachment program if they are not doing the job, hold them to the strictest guild lines.
Teach each and every politician in every office that they work for us.

But of course this is only a fantasy.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Set an age limit, set short term limits in every position, start a quick impeachment program if they are not doing the job, hold them to the strictest guild lines.
Teach each and every politician in every office that they work for us.

But of course this is only a fantasy.
I'm not looking for a fantasy, I'm looking for ways that Americans can change their politicians, i.e. community organizers, a voters movement, local non-corrupt politicians, people that can put in the time, people that know about the economy or corporations...

Old 07-19-2011, 02:24 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,255,269 times
Nothing can change while the unified Republicrat Party puts in place clones that serve Big Government and Big Business. But after the coming collapse, hopefully the next generation will set in place a system totally unlike the current, corrupt one.

For a start, nobody should be allowed to even run for office unless he/she has at least 20 years of experience in "the real world" -- private industry. Success there should be a big part of the campaign--as we know, modern politicians couldn't meet a budget no matter how many trillions are there to spend. Strict term limits. Then, there must be an absolute prohibition of leaving politics and taking a lobbying job, or a pay-back job in Big Business.

Any system must be totally transparent-- a great idea Obama promised, but of course failed to deliver. We might try having a pool of successful private sector people, and if meeting certain psychological criteria (no more narcissists!), group them according to political ideals (throwing out all who are not Libertarians), and rotate them through government service so they don't get too powerful, then rotate them back where they came. An in-depth training program in Libertarian ideals is a must, like a "boot camp" to offset the lure of power in government. We also need watchdog groups, which can vote to remove anyone trying to amass power.

Of course, this is all just an intellectual exercise, which means nothing in a nation that doesn't value it. This nation values money and power, and intellectuals born here will simply be slaves to those with much less intellect, but much more greed and arrogance. Unfortunately, while our minds evolved, our group psychology still worships the biggest, most arrogant gorilla on the mountain, the one who pounds his chest the hardest. I doubt we'll get a chance to evolve beyond that, since intellect can't save us from the sick greed of those who rule.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Of course, this is all just an intellectual exercise, which means nothing in a nation that doesn't value it. This nation values money and power, and intellectuals born here will simply be slaves to those with much less intellect, but much more greed and arrogance. Unfortunately, while our minds evolved, our group psychology still worships the biggest, most arrogant gorilla on the mountain, the one who pounds his chest the hardest. I doubt we'll get a chance to evolve beyond that, since intellect can't save us from the sick greed of those who rule.
Doubt that.
Nearly 300 years ago we had the founding fathers help American break free from Britain. These group of men united the colonies, won a war, and wrote The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. These men were scientists, businessmen, lawyers, and soldiers from all walks of life.

I'm a young person that is looking at the situation today and find inspiration from what these men did a long time ago and I am looking for solutions, not how you can't do something. Today we have a much larger population, a more educated group of citizens, and instantaneous communication. If you could combine a group of smart people before to do something good, you can do the same thing today. It's just a matter of finding people that are willing to do the work and have the knowledge to do the deed.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,387,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I'm not looking for a fantasy, I'm looking for ways that Americans can change their politicians, i.e. community organizers, a voters movement, local non-corrupt politicians, people that can put in the time, people that know about the economy or corporations...
It's all a fantasy unless you know a way to unite all the people in the United States, right now we are so divided between ourselves we could never make it work any better.
Who would decide what people are right for the job when we can't agree on anything?
The fault lies in our hands we allowed the government to become what it is.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,616,012 times
Quote:
It's a good question but we have the politicians we vote for. Such a change has to start with the people. They have to be engaged, educated (including personal research) and they have to stop allowing bad behavior by "their side" as well as "the other side." As long as people excuse poor behavior by politicians, we'll keep getting it. It will take the American people getting involved and then several rounds of voting out people that try business as usual - divided we fall.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,488,909 times
It has to start with us the people. What i have learned is us the stupid people vote the same clowns back in office, who are the ones, who have screwed with our lives. Californians are the dumbest people. they vote the same idiots back in office, who are the ones screwing this State, Brown, yeah, right like he really is the answer to our problems not. Dumb idiots who voted him in again. We don't learn our lessons well. Not Happy with who we have as President. only we can change this by our votes. Vote the same idiots back in office, what the hell are we learning.

Maybe a shorter term as Presdient, or half way thru, i know this is far fetched, but the people decide if this President gets to finish term or not. By a vote./
Problem is all Politicians start out with the same dream, wanting to do what is right and just for us the people. Until they become elected, and then it all go's down the drain from there.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,241,022 times
Quote:
Take the current issue of the national debt. Politicians in the previous few decades have raised the debt ceiling, without ever considering to lower it.
That's probably because when they raised the debt ceiling, it did not exceed your GDP. In fact your National Debt at those times was nowhere near your GDP.

You just might want to consider that.

There is a huge difference between having a GDP of $12 TRILLION and raising the debt ceiling to $3 TRILLION and have a GDP of $14 TRILLION and raising the debt ceiling to $20 TRILLION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies