Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

That's it?

After a year in office?

In case you haven't noticed in ALL the polls, he is bleeding Independents, the same Independents that swept him into office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
That's an interesting argument you have there: The previous administration was fiscally irresponsible so it's OK for this administration to be fiscally reckless. Love your logic.
Except that it's not my argument at all. Let's try this.

Let's say you have a guy (George Bush) who moves into a house one day. The house is in pretty good but not great shape and this guy has tons of money to spend.

Rather than putting money into improving the house or just saving it, he blows all his money on coke on strippers while inviting lots of people to party in and subsequently trash his place. 8 years later and he's on his way when the next guy (Obama) buys the house. By this point, the house is on the verge of being condemned.

At first the new guy is going to have to dump a ****load of money into this house that had been neglected over the years. Unfortunately he doesn't have deep pockets like the last guy so he has to use loans and credit cards to pay for the improvements. In the end he will make most of his investment back by the increased resale value of the home, but unfortunately some of that money is gone forever, yet the new guy is ultimately OK with this as he now has a nice place to live.

That, in a nutshell, is how I see our situation. Obama had to spend a whole bunch of money to keep the economy from failing and get our decaying infrastructure back up to standards while setting us on the correct path for the future.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That's it?

After a year in office?
91 promises kept in 1 year averages out to be about a promise kept every 4 days and another 277 are labeled as "in the works".

What would be an acceptable rate to you?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
get our decaying infrastructure back up to standards while setting us on the correct path for the future.
Please give me an example of any infrastructure that is now up to standards where it wasn't before? Roads, bridges, sewers..........????

And you believe we're now on the correct path for the future? Tell me where that path is, please.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:01 AM

377 posts, read 326,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
(Sounds of crickets chirping)

All he's really done is add more unnecessary government jobs. I guess the left loves so much spending and being in so much debt.
I think that the people feeding, housing and clothing their family from these 'unnecessary government jobs' would tend to disagree with your opinion.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Except that it's not my argument at all. Let's try this.

Let's say you have a guy (George Bush) who moves into a house one day. The house is in pretty good but not great shape and this guy has tons of money to spend.

Rather than putting money into improving the house or just saving it, he blows all his money on coke on strippers while inviting lots of people to party in and subsequently trash his place. 8 years later and he's on his way when the next guy (Obama) buys the house. By this point, the house is on the verge of being condemned.

At first the new guy is going to have to dump a ****load of money into this house that had been neglected over the years. Unfortunately he doesn't have deep pockets like the last guy so he has to use loans and credit cards to pay for the improvements. In the end he will make most of his investment back by the increased resale value of the home, but unfortunately some of that money is gone forever, yet the new guy is ultimately OK with this as he now has a nice place to live.

That, in a nutshell, is how I see our situation. Obama had to spend a whole bunch of money to keep the economy from failing and get our decaying infrastructure back up to standards while setting us on the correct path for the future.
failed analogy because a house doesnt bring in income.. Lets change it to be accurate.. shall we?

The first guy buys an apartment building, and milks the hell out of it, not putting any money into the building and taking all the profits out and spends them..

The second guy, buys the apartment building, and rather than dumping a ****load of money into it, he dumps it into the neighbors building.

There.. all better now..

Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
I think that the people feeding, housing and clothing their family from these 'unnecessary government jobs' would tend to disagree with your opinion.
Wow.. what a platform to stand on..

So we should ALL get government jobs right?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 AM

377 posts, read 326,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
That's an interesting argument you have there: The previous administration was fiscally irresponsible so it's OK for this administration to be fiscally reckless. Love your logic.
Practically every credible economist, not including the crank Austrian school, called for the governmental spending to keep our country out of economic catastrophe. How is that reckless? Looks pretty responsible to me.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wow.. what a platform to stand on..

So we should ALL get government jobs right?
That is the ultimate goal. To create a society dependent upon the government for everything from cradle to grave.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Please give me an example of any infrastructure that is now up to standards where it wasn't before? Roads, bridges, sewers..........????
There have been lots of roads that have been improved, or will be improved, by stimulus money. My hometown is one of them.

Federal Money To Fix Omaha Streets - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/22469874/detail.html - broken link)

There is also going to be significant money put into light and heavy rail transport as well.

Quote:
And you believe we're now on the correct path for the future? Tell me where that path is, please.
Ok.

- Getting out of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
- A realistic energy plan that will reduce our need for petrol (Obama was the only candidate to have this)
- Lower taxes on middle class and small business
- End to many of the civil rights violations brought to us by Bush and Co.
- Rebuilding the previously discussed infrastructure
- Improved foreign relations

That's just off the top of my head too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
failed analogy because a house doesnt bring in income.. Lets change it to be accurate.. shall we?

The first guy buys an apartment building, and milks the hell out of it, not putting any money into the building and taking all the profits out and spends them..

The second guy, buys the apartment building, and rather than dumping a ****load of money into it, he dumps it into the neighbors building.

There.. all better now..
Bringing in income wasn't quite the point of my analogy, but since you want to play that game, hell why not make a legitimate attempt instead of acting like the internet's version of Glenn Beck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies