Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I'm not suggesting that any one country step in and regulate the culture of another sovereign country at all. Our governments can apply pressure by many means. The UN has a Human Rights Council. The UN could issue sanctions or promote educational campaigns. There has to be ways to incentivise improving human rights in these countries.

I found this, but it's very vague as to what exactly the UN is doing:
I know, I agree.

Well, but here http://www.un.org/en/women/endviolence/goals.shtml

they spell out the plan, details of five steps, by which to eradicate this by 2015.

Hmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Hey...I'm on your side...I was just pointing out what has been said to people here on CD that have stood up..
Oh I know. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Has anyone ever gone on a msg board (e.g.) and talked with people from these countries, who know about this sort of thing?
I have had limited exchanges with Muslims about this subject. The general theme has been "Christians arent any better" "Look at the murder rate in your own country"

I have only had discussions with self described "moderates" who claim Islam is peaceful.

It just seems odd to me.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
I know how you feel Moonie

Actually I was in a pretty good mood today
Until I read this article. Usually the News doesn't ever effect my mood ( Unless its something like 9/11 bad)

But this really rubbed me the wrong way today
Maybe I'm just getting crumpier because I'm getting older
No, I don't think so.

I just think as a person gets older they become more aware of the world and the horrific things that go on and let's face it, some of the things that go on would "try the patience of a saint" as my Nan would say.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
WTH !!!

Well another young girl has been killed by her father for dishonoring the family for low and behold, 'talking to boys'
She was Buried Alive!
Girl buried alive for 'befriending boys' - The West Australian
Could of been worst.. like being Burned alive for being Gang Raped

Look I'm not really having a go at the whole Islamic faith. I do realize that this is Islamic extremism
But in this day and age...in the year 2010...how does a Man get brain washed in believing this crap! How do Women put up with this!

What I'm trying to say is .....

Actually, in all honesty. I really just wanted to get this off my chest!
Sharia law is already allowed in Great Britain. If we continue on the path of "political correctness" sharia law will also be permitted in the United States.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

These horrific "honor killings" don't make it to the forefront of the MSM thus there isn't enough public outrage. Thanks for posting this, as terrible as it is, so that girls and women who are victims of these murders done in the name of Islamic law, are not forgotten.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:50 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well, it's not one country's job to step in and regulate another country's culture, is it?

I think that's the UN's job... a mandate even.
Do you even feel a bit compassionate about these women who are subjected to these atrocities ... these human rights violations?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:59 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
If one is stupid enough to kill and torture their own flesh and blood, one is not worthy enough to procreate. Sterilize the the piece of crap father and the mother for that matter, since she did not see fit to cut the father's throat before had a chance to do this to her daughter.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Although the article was in an Australian paper, the killing happened in a Muslim country, which is Turkey.

Quote:
The girl's body was found in a sitting position with her hands tied, in a two-metre hole dug under a chicken pen outside her home in Turkey.
Nothing surprises me about this at all.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:07 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Islam - the religion of peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies