Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:18 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,060,472 times

Advertisements

NJ outgoing Gov Corzine recently vetoed a bill that potentially could have helped the local state economy grow without stifling from foreign competitors.

This bill was a state version of a new trade bill that has the support of many in the House. The group that is supporting the bill are concerned about how agreements like NAFTA & WTO are really hurting American (and even foreign) labor. A very interesting video here.

A good synopsis can be heard on this program but you have to go to Wake Up Call Jan 14, 2010 6AM and fast forward to 35 minutes.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:32 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,092,163 times
I along with many other Democrats gave Corzine the boot here in the Garden State. I'm as liberal as the next guy but the veto of that bill was basically his departing way of giving us the finger. Even though I didn't vote for him I hope Christie does well and as usual I'll be optimistic.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,448,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
NJ outgoing Gov Corzine recently vetoed a bill that potentially could have helped the local state economy grow without stifling from foreign competitors.

This bill was a state version of a new trade bill that has the support of many in the House. The group that is supporting the bill are concerned about how agreements like NAFTA & WTO are really hurting American (and even foreign) labor. A very interesting video here.

A good synopsis can be heard on this program but you have to go to Wake Up Call Jan 14, 2010 6AM and fast forward to 35 minutes.

The man is dirt that is why he is gone. I think he knew he was going to lose and wanted to screw things up as much as he could before he left.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the replies and would anyone like to comment on the bills and trade agreements and their relationship to not only American and foreign labor but also our federal and state governments.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 PM

There is no free lunch, much less free trade.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Good video and discussion here.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,377,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Thanks for the replies and would anyone like to comment on the bills and trade agreements and their relationship to not only American and foreign labor but also our federal and state governments.
It must be a cold day in hell since I have to take Corzine's side and say he is right.It is the Federal gvt's role to regulate trade between the states and foreign countries.If there is a problem and there are many with our trade agreements they have to be addressed and solved by congress and signed by the POTUS.
At least I am consistent 98% of the issues we discuss here I think belong to the states but not this one.I want to add I enjoy your threads even though our ideologies are far apart your "thinking skill" is exceptional.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
It must be a cold day in hell since I have to take Corzine's side and say he is right.It is the Federal gvt's role to regulate trade between the states and foreign countries.If there is a problem and there are many with our trade agreements they have to be addressed and solved by congress and signed by the POTUS.
At least I am consistent 98% of the issues we discuss here I think belong to the states but not this one.I want to add I enjoy your threads even though our ideologies are far apart your "thinking skill" is exceptional.
There are certain parts of trade agreements that states can opt out of.

If there is some manufacturing that has to be done here, well that's what stimulus is for.

It is shameful how little the major news outlet cover the TRADE act.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 PM

A very wise quote.

"If we purchase a ton of steel rails from England for twenty dollars, then we have the rails and England the money. But if we buy a ton of steel rails from America for twenty-five dollars, then America has the rails and the money both."

Old 04-01-2010, 08:53 PM

The end of NAFTA in the horizon?

"Four congressmen have now moved a bill to repeal NAFTA. Superficially, this means little, as passage of this bill is unlikely in the near future. But more fundamentally, it means a lot, because, unbeknownst to most Americans inside and outside the Washington Beltway, free trade is inexorably losing its base of support on Capitol Hill."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies