Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,444,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why must the USA be the first in last out for every natural disaster around the world? Yes we should give aid, but I get tired of the expectation that we need to be the biggest fastest responder.
And why do you think we are? How very jingoistic of you.

Last edited by Sagran; 01-14-2010 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Ok, I think you know what I'm talking. Please don't be so sensitive, I'm talking about specific posters on here. I didn't mean to offend you if that's the case.
Why add the "if that's the case"? Are you ok with offending all people who take medication except me (if, indeed, I take medication)?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:32 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,241,703 times
Not an apology. Just a recognition of our behavior.

Find an apology.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,274,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Why add the "if that's the case"? Are you ok with offending all people who take medication except me (if, indeed, I take medication)?
Well this has gone off topic, however I have no idea what exactly the problem is that you seem to have w/me today. I said "if that is the case" meaning if I did indeed offend YOU. And again like I said, you know exactly the context my original post was in & you know exactly who my post was referring to. I really don't wish to argue w/you.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,321,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
And why do you think we are? How very jingoistic of you.
I would think that it is because those in power who love to volunteer our services are not the ones who actually doing the work. Oh and its not them who are paying for it. Its better headlines than say spending that same money and using the same resources to you know help our own poor and homeless people.
Just a guess.
I am not against giving the aid. I am actually for it. I would love to see the same energy put in to helping our own first though.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 AM

5,513 posts, read 12,317,093 times
Quote:
Why must the USA be the first in last out for every natural disaster around the world? Yes we should give aid, but I get tired of the expectation that we need to be the biggest fastest responder.
We have given over 1 billion dollars in aid to Haiti over the years; the UN 300m during the same amount of time. Port-au-Prince used to be a cruise ship stop until the govt went down. Since then, we've poured so much money, aid, relief, charity work into Haiti and it remains the same, poor, corrupt nation, and I venture to say nothing will change.

Pat Robertson is a hack and he doesn't speak for the GOP. BUt I will say that I am sick and tired of the left villifying religion and Christianity in particular. The Christian groups doing relief and charity work in Haiti for years outnumber the festivus and atheist yahoo groups doing anything but worrying themselves over nativity scene displays instead of doing some good for those less fortunate.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,238,491 times
$100M is conservative by "aid" standards. However, until they get some sort of logistical system in place to handle and distribute the money, I'm all for keeping the sum conservative. Dropping pallets of Benjamins from a C-130 for the sake of saying we contributed is not a good idea.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,241,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Interesting... where's the rest of world coming to the rescue that Obama apologized to.
So the main point of your comment is a lie. Plenty of other contries are contributing $millions and have people on the ground already.

But the secondary smear - that President Obama apologizes - can't be substantiated either.

Don't you get tired of lying? Don't you care one bit about your integrity?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I would think that it is because those in power who love to volunteer our services are not the ones who actually doing the work. Oh and its not them who are paying for it. Its better headlines than say spending that same money and using the same resources to you know help our own poor and homeless people.
Just a guess.
I am not against giving the aid. I am actually for it. I would love to see the same energy put in to helping our own first though.
You are delusional if you think we are always first in and last out. You just don't pay attention to the rest of the world.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:51 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,761,015 times
To the OP: Your comments might be better received if you would refrain from lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies