Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,764,052 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXfnjkxBTrk

What's everyone thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out how you would determine someone's religion by looking at them? Secondly, what happens when Al-Qaeda starts using people outside this age range or using women. Also, what about domestic militia groups or individuals like Tim McVeigh, that also want to hurt people? Do we focus on muslim extremist and forget about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 AM

11,582 posts, read 14,017,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXfnjkxBTrk

What's everyone thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out how you would determine someone's religion by looking at them? Secondly, what happens when Al-Qaeda starts using people outside this age range or using women. Also, what about domestic militia groups or individuals like Tim McVeigh, that also want to hurt people? Do we focus on muslim extremist and forget about them?
Until we start seeing grandma or grandpa attempting to bring down a plane or blow up the local Sbarro, I don't see a problem dabbling in some racial profiling.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Until we start seeing grandma or grandpa attempting to bring down a plane or blow up the local Sbarro, I don't see a problem dabbling in some racial profiling.
Yeah, but how do you know who is muslim and who isn't? Are you going to strip search every brown and black person that goes to the airport? While you're busy profiling a certain group of individuals, you drop the ball on others, like another Timothy McVeigh?

Why not use more common sense approach, like biting the bullet and paying for those full body scanners and investing more money into air marshals, equipment for screening luggage, and intelligence gathering?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,425,642 times
There's a nice class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 AM

68,425 posts, read 54,840,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
And you don't al Qaeda has the resources to either send grandpa or the plastic surgeons to make some non-arab looking passengers? They've got the $$$ to do it, EVERY passenger must be treated as a potential problem or we will be hit again.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 AM

11,582 posts, read 14,017,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And you don't al Qaeda has the resources to either send grandpa or the plastic surgeons to make some non-arab looking passengers? They've got the $$$ to do it, EVERY passenger must be treated as a potential problem or we will be hit again.
Let's not get carried away here. I am NOT saying everyone that does not appear to be of Middle Eastern decent be allowed to breeze through security. Everyone needs the basic search but is it really that big of a stretch to put a little more effort into checking those that fit the profile of the people responsible for 99% of the airline terrorist attacks/attempts?

As I said, until the terrorist groups start recruiting a different look of people to carryout their attacks, I see no problem profiling. If hurting a few sensitive peoples feeling saves a 300 peoples lives, I don't see the issue.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,412,143 times
The general should lose his commission.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 AM

11,413 posts, read 16,873,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why because he speaks the truth.

When an 80 year old white woman starts blowing themselves up also, then we should profile them.

The downfall of this country will be our own doing.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:34 AM

59,543 posts, read 27,851,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The general should be promoted and given the job to enact real transportation security.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Why because he speaks the truth.

When an 80 year old white woman starts blowing themselves up also, then we should profile them.

The downfall of this country will be our own doing.
No one is talking about strip searching old ladies, but again, how do you determine if a person is Muslim? Not all Muslim's are Arabic as proven in the recent attempt at bringing down the plane. Not all have foreign sounding names either (i.e. Richard Reid). What about female suicide bombers? What happens when the radical terrorist leaders start recruiting them to take out planes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies