Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
those of you that hate religion, have shown hate for this little girl who on her own time chose to read the bible. Its perfectly legal for her to do so. The teacher was wrong and the hate i see for a little girl who chose to read the bible sickens me. I thought liberals backed the idea of freedom. Guess they do unless its a little girl on her own time reading a book that is not illegal or violates school policy.

this thread has shown me how the atheists use hate.
I see no 'hatred of religion' in this thread. Nor any 'hatred' directed at the child. I do see some expressing concern about a 7 year old reading a Bible on her own. But, since we don't know if this is a standard Bible or a children's Bible, I'm not really fussed about that. Yes, the teacher was wrong and has been told that she was wrong. Nor have I seen much difference in the way the atheists here (which ones are they, BTW?) are reacting than the way the Christians (and who are the Christians in this thread?) have reacted. Unless the Atheists and Christians or anyone of other religions actually identify themselves as such in their postings, I think maybe you are labeling based only on your own impressions of the words being used in the postings. Calm down a bit - we're all simply discussing the various issues inherent in the story of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I see no 'hatred of religion' in this thread. Nor any 'hatred' directed at the child. I do see some expressing concern about a 7 year old reading a Bible on her own. But, since we don't know if this is a standard Bible or a children's Bible, I'm not really fussed about that. Yes, the teacher was wrong and has been told that she was wrong. Nor have I seen much difference in the way the atheists here (which ones are they, BTW?) are reacting than the way the Christians (and who are the Christians in this thread?) have reacted. Unless the Atheists and Christians or anyone of other religions actually identify themselves as such in their postings, I think maybe you are labeling based only on your own impressions of the words being used in the postings. Calm down a bit - we're all simply discussing the various issues inherent in the story of this.
there have been posts attacking the child's mother , the bible as a book and the child's ability to understand. All those arguments are wrong. They show about the attitude the posters have about the mother the child and the bible. Child did nothing wrong
Mother did nothing wrong
teacher and principle did do something wrong

Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
there have been posts attacking the child's mother , the bible as a book and the child's ability to understand. All those arguments are wrong. They show about the attitude the posters have about the mother the child and the bible. Child did nothing wrong
Mother did nothing wrong
teacher and principle did do something wrong
I was actually agreeing with you until the last point. It was the teacher who did something wrong, not the principal. When the principle was apprised of the situation he told the teacher she was wrong and apologized to the child's mother. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I would classify expressing concern for the ability of the child to understand some parts of the Bible could be called an attack, either.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:39 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
If this was a different issue the little girl would be required to attend "diversity" trainning.

I think the Teacher should be required to attend "diversity" trainning.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If this was a different issue the little girl would be required to attend "diversity" trainning.

I think the Teacher should be required to attend "diversity" trainning.
I see no need for diversity training here for anyone. I do see a need for teachers to learn exactly what the rules are, though.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:52 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I was actually agreeing with you until the last point. It was the teacher who did something wrong, not the principal. When the principle was apprised of the situation he told the teacher she was wrong and apologized to the child's mother. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I would classify expressing concern for the ability of the child to understand some parts of the Bible could be called an attack, either.
The principle backed the teacher, the mother had to go to theuperintendent . The superintendent knew the teacher and principle were wrong and then told them to apologize

Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
The principle backed the teacher, the mother had to go to theuperintendent . The superintendent knew the teacher and principle were wrong and then told them to apologize
I'm not saying you're wrong, but where did you find that information? Because it is not in the article available at the link in the first post.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:21 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why should the teacher be "disciplined"? That is so stupid. There are laws that state that religion is to be kept out of schools.
Yeah religion can not be TAUGHT there is no law against READING to YOURSELF.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:27 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
No, child. I ask because I've actually read the Bible and studied the Bible and would NEVER let that book get in the the hands of a 7 year old without proper guidance.

Let's have an adult conversation without jumping to false conclusions. Now, answer the question or move along.
Oh yes let's have an adult conversation, child.

There are many different versions of the Bible. Perhaps she was reading a child's version or perhaps a more up to date one. If you really had any clue about the Bible you would know this but again I have seen enough of your posts on this topic to know that you have no desire to have an intelligent conversation about it. You want to slam it.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:37 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,428,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post

There are many different versions of the Bible. Perhaps she was reading a child's version or perhaps a more up to date one.
"..up to date one"??? How do you get an "up to date" version of God's word? Who has the authority to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies