Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times

Advertisements

Barack Obama said during his campaign for President that words do mean things and proceeded to show us that when he says them they don't. It appears that Harry Reid feels the same way in that somehow his words in the healthcare bill don't mean anything. Well here is a list of times certain words show up in the bill and I find it very interesting why some show up so often and others, very important others, never do show up.

Words Mean Things - hogan’s Diary - RedState
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Barack Obama said during his campaign for President that words do mean things and proceeded to show us that when he says them they don't. It appears that Harry Reid feels the same way in that somehow his words in the healthcare bill don't mean anything. Well here is a list of times certain words show up in the bill and I find it very interesting why some show up so often and others, very important others, never do show up.

Words Mean Things - hogan’s Diary - RedState
Very, very interesting!

And that's only the beginning. Wait until the regulatory people get done with the bill. That will put it all into even tighter language, which will limit interpretation and steer it in the desired channel, should anyone ever mount a legal charge against any portion of it. We're the proverbial frog in the pot of water...it's not boiling yet, so many can't imagine it ever will.

Wake up, America - left, right and in-between. Wake up.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:45 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,250,930 times
Doublespeak. Once you redefine a word and get people to accept it, they'll fall for anything. Spending = Investment, Terrorism = Man Made Catastrophe...and such.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:55 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Why would the word "Constitution" appear in the bill? Any bill? That doesn't make any sense at all. All law is de facto constitutional until challenged and overruled. There is no reason to refer to the Constitution in any bill, unless that bill specifically addresses the Constitution itself.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Uh... Yes! Unless you say what you, uh... don't mean to say. Then it's NO!

Old 11-25-2009, 01:04 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Why would the word "Constitution" appear in the bill? Any bill? That doesn't make any sense at all. All law is de facto constitutional until challenged and overruled. There is no reason to refer to the Constitution in any bill, unless that bill specifically addresses the Constitution itself.
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.
Well, when I hear or read "the Constitution," it induces thought. To many - way too many - it just invokes either anger or warm fuzzy feelings.

Conservatives think. Liberals feel. I guess most of Obama's critics are liberal at heart.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:22 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Words do have meaning but running a document through keyword count software proves nothing what so ever. Example: here's what happens when you run the OP post through. With his words out of order like this no one could know what the OP was actually saying.

Word Count: that 4 show 4 and 3 the 3 in 3 up 3 words 3 his 2 very 2 don't 2 do 2 it 2 others 2 mean 2 bill 2 when 1 during 1 president 1 things 1 us 1 campaign 1 said 1 he 1 appears 1 says 1 they 1 obama 1 them 1 for 1 same 1 barack 1 way 1 list 1 so 1 of 1 reid 1 somehow 1 here 1 anything 1 is 1 a 1 healthcare 1 some 1 often 1 harry 1 find 1 feels 1 proceeded 1 to 1 i 1 certain 1 never 1 important 1 why 1 interesting 1 times 1 well 1

Old 11-25-2009, 02:17 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Well, when I hear or read "the Constitution," it induces thought. To many - way too many - it just invokes either anger or warm fuzzy feelings.

Conservatives think. Liberals feel. I guess most of Obama's critics are liberal at heart.
Someone wrote an opinion piece on this awhile back, saying the same thing. I guess another way of saying it would be, "Conservatives are left brain dominant and liberals are right brain dominant."

Old 11-25-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Someone wrote an opinion piece on this awhile back, saying the same thing. I guess another way of saying it would be, "Conservatives are left brain dominant and liberals are right brain dominant."
It's just an old saying. Rather meaningless, IMO, which is why I used it; to show that conservatives and liberals alike can be motivated by emotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies