Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The U.S. Constitution is not a “living and breathing document.”

Americans are guided by contracts, and the biggest of these contracts is the U.S. Constitution. The U.S. Constitution is the defining document of our republic; it enables our rights and freedoms.

We could not have a stable society if our contracts were living and breathing documents subject to change without notice, to do so would invite anarchy. As the country goes thru good times and bad, as new fads in our culture come and go, the U.S. Constitution is there to provides the solid foundation which holds our republic and society together, it must be timeless and durable, so we can live our lives secure in the knowledge that no matter how the times change around us, our rights and freedoms will always remain. A “living and breathing document” provides none of those reassurances. It is not perfect but the Framers gave us the ability to perfect it through the amendment process.
Ummm, mind to tell us who you're ripping this from? I mean are you quoting Jefferson? Or are you quoting Hannity?

Makes a difference ya know..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Your paycheck went up between $100 and $200 per month because of something Obama did?

You need to provide proof of the fiscal policy and the financial statistics that drove that increase. Otherwise, I call bullsh*t. No one in this country can claim that Barack Obama put that much additional money in their regular paycheck. Period. Show us the proof or quit lying.

From the IRS:

"It all depends on your marital status, how much you make, and the number of exemptions you claim on your W-4 form. Typically, individuals will get an extra $10 to $15 per week, and married couples who file jointly will see an extra $15 to $20 per paycheck. Single filers will receive up to $400 per year for the rest of 2009 and part of 2010, and married and filing jointly couples will receive up to $800."

Assuming you're married, you should have gotten ~$20 per two week paycheck = $40 extra per month x 2 (you and your spouse) = $80 per month.

Provide the proof or quit lying.
What would you like? Paystubs?

From what I can gather, we're at around a $980/year tax savings...

Geez, okay so that's $82 a month, Wow..... You caught me in an $18 a month "lie" ...

Yeah, maybe it seemed like more, but either way.... I was asked to provide one promise Obama kept. I provided it.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Geez, you are a shining example of the quote:

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

If the Constitution is not a "living and breathing document" then how, pray tell, do you fathom that the Supreme Court has any right to interpret it? Does it so happen that one sitting court defines a gray area in our Constitution and that ends the argument?

Should be a pretty straight-forward document if it weren't meant to be flexible, but instead it is purposefully vague in many respects.

As an example, let me ask:

Do you have the right to own a nuclear weapon? Why not? You have the right to bear arms, don't you? Where in the Constitution does it restrict you from owning a nuke?

As to the Constitutionality of the Income Tax, refer to the 16th Amendment. Like it or not, it is actually IN the Constitution. Hate to break it to ya man, but that MAKES IT CONSTITUTIONAL..
And that is the problem with Liberal judges who "interpret" the Constitution instead of what they are sworn to do which is UPHOLD it! The Constitution is the foundation on our Country. Do you know what a foundation is? Do you modify the foundation of your house at your whim? The foundation is unchangable. Untill you get this, you will never know what you are talking about. It is you who should keep silent.

As for the 16th Amendment, read this and learn:
http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/04/...greenslade.htm

Old 11-19-2009, 10:44 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Ummm, mind to tell us who you're ripping this from? I mean are you quoting Jefferson? Or are you quoting Hannity?

Makes a difference ya know..
Its not a cut and paste job, I cite my sources for quoting another person, unless its just a short phrase, but not entire paragraphs.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:48 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
CBS did a poll in 1981 showed Reagan at a 18% approval. Shhhhh that was Carters fault. Surely Obama should have fixed everything buy now, especially since it would ONLY require housing to double in areas where the auto industry no longer exists, hurricanes destroyed entire economies, and combine that with people saving instead of gambling (including the banks).
I don't recall Reagan ever having an approval rating that low. In fact, the lowest approval ratings of any president since WWII was never under 20%.

Which shows that CBS "poll" to be extremely biased.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:00 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I don't recall Reagan ever having an approval rating that low. In fact, the lowest approval ratings of any president since WWII was never under 20%.

You have a good memory. How were the poll questions formatted? Back in 1981 that is....

Old 11-19-2009, 02:07 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
You have a good memory. How were the poll questions formatted? Back in 1981 that is....
Don't know how that particular CBS poll was formatted but I have heard how the state the question. For instance, "Do you think Pres. Reagan could do a better job as President?" If someone answers "yes," they classify that as disapproval.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
And that is the problem with Liberal judges who "interpret" the Constitution instead of what they are sworn to do which is UPHOLD it! The Constitution is the foundation on our Country. Do you know what a foundation is? Do you modify the foundation of your house at your whim? The foundation is unchangable. Untill you get this, you will never know what you are talking about. It is you who should keep silent.
So just to be clear. When a judge interprets something a particular way he's a "liberal activist judge", right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep
Then you offer me as the reason that the 16th amendment doesn't authorize an income tax, a paper by a man who cites his reasoning for this assertion to be................... wait for it.................. A Supreme Court Decision!!!!

So basically you're saying that it is Constitutional for the Supreme Court to re-interpret the Constitution if and when YOU see fit. Any other supposed "tampering" is an Unconstitutional travesty thrust upon us by "Liberal, Activist Judges that legislate from the bench"...

Do I have this about right?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Its not a cut and paste job, I cite my sources for quoting another person, unless its just a short phrase, but not entire paragraphs.
Not trying to falsely accuse you or anything, but the font suggested that it came from elsewhere... If it's all you that wrote that then that's cool.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:42 AM

948 posts, read 2,790,748 times
A Look Back At The Polls - CBS News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Actually it shows I read the article too fast and didn't review the graphs very close. Looks like in 1983 a 41% approval was lowest they showed.
In 81 it showed a 18 dis-approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies