Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:26 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,865,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Thomas Tobin, the Roman Catholic bishop of Providence, has made a career out of putting politicians in his crosshairs, but his latest battle over abortion threatens to spiritually exile Rep. Patrick Kennedy, a son of the nation's most famous Roman Catholic family.
Their feud over a proposal expanding the nation's health insurance system has escalated to the point where Tobin has publicly questioned Kennedy's faith and membership in the church and said he should not receive communion, the central sacrament in Catholic worship.
Patrick Kennedy clashes with outspoken RI bishop - AP Nation/World - Ledger-Enquirer.com (http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/252/story/905962.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 03:55 AM

68,351 posts, read 54,502,307 times
If the church leaders wish to express political views I hope the IRS is paying attention, let themm be taxed like anyone else.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
Bascailly altho I'm not catholic the church has every right to express a view on a moral question which they do.But then if they want to tax anyone look at the so called foun dation not taxed that pay so mnay keeendy children not mention in the constitution.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:03 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If the church leaders wish to express political views I hope the IRS is paying attention, let themm be taxed like anyone else.
The first amendment protects the "free exercise" of religion. Furthermore, the Catholic Church is fairly clear that a public figure who advocates for abortion, can't receive communion until repenting.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Abortion is not a political topic and should play no part in politics, it is a moral issue. The church has every right to express their view on any moral subject.

NIta

Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,210,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The first amendment protects the "free exercise" of religion. Furthermore, the Catholic Church is fairly clear that a public figure who advocates for abortion, can't receive communion until repenting.
Oh, isn't that SPECIAL!!!!! The same Old Boys Club who allowed known pedophile priests to SODOMIZE and RAPE young boys and girls has the audacity to tell others anything? Please. The only "right" they have is to shut their big, fat, lying, hypocritcal mouths. Until they apologize and "repent", they can go to where the sun doesn't shine.

Whenever they pass the collection basket for this cause or that cause, I think to myself how much of that is going to pay for the sexual abuse settlements, much of which could have been prevented had they rid the church of these pedophile monsters. No, they did NO such thing, instead they harbored known sexual offenders and placed them in new parishes which had a new batch of innocent, young children to molest.

They should be ashamed to open their mouths - period - much less tell anyone about morality or ethics. They need to go hide in deep, dark caves or under rocks with the rest of snakes.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:51 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,362,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Oh, isn't that SPECIAL!!!!! The same Old Boys Club who allowed known pedophile priests to SODOMIZE and RAPE young boys and girls has the audacity to tell others anything? Please. The only "right" they have is to shut their big, fat, lying, hypocritcal mouths. Until they apologize and "repent", they can go to where the sun doesn't shine.
All righty, then.

I think we're going to have to move the phrase "Liberal Tolerance" into the Permanent Oxymoron category, along with Military Intelligence, Free Advice, and Feminist Thought.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:56 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,210,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
All righty, then.

I think we're going to have to move the phrase "Liberal Tolerance" into the Permanent Oxymoron category, along with Military Intelligence, Free Advice, and Feminist Thought.
Spin it any way that you want, it will NEVER take away the sexual abuse that took place, nor will it take away the fact that Catholic paritioners (which we are part of) are paying for it and will be paying for it for many decades to come.

Sexual abuse is sexual abuse and it was institutionalized and approved sexual abuse because the bishops that knew about it did nothing to stop it or make amends. Go take your buzzwords to the victims that suffered and tell them about it. That's all I have to say.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:00 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
Quote:

Whenever they pass the collection basket for this cause or that cause, I think to myself how much of that is going to pay for the sexual abuse settlements, much of which could have been prevented had they rid the church of these pedophile monsters. No, they did NO such thing, instead they harbored known sexual offenders and placed them in new parishes which had a new batch of innocent, young children to molest.

They should be ashamed to open their mouths - period - much less tell anyone about morality or ethics. They need to go hide in deep, dark caves or under rocks with the rest of snakes.
It was liberal bishops who covered up the pedophiles in nearly every case...

And there were still fewer pedophiles in the Church than outside of the Church in schools, etc.

Glad to see that shining tolerance BTW.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:08 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,362,824 times
Quote:
Spin it any way that you want, it will NEVER take away the sexual abuse that took place, nor will it take away the fact that Catholic paritioners (which we are part of) are paying for it and will be paying for it for many decades to come.

Sexual abuse is sexual abuse and it was institutionalized and approved sexual abuse because the bishops that knew about it did nothing to stop it or make amends. Go take your buzzwords to the victims that suffered and tell them about it. That's all I have to say.
Unless you can prove that this Bishop engaged in or sanctioned such behavior, you are accomplishing nothing more than demonstrating that hatred has taken over your reasoning ability.

The crime of abortion is just as much a sin as child abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies