Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Thanks for the link but it's not taking me to any document.

It does for me..HR3962.

Try the main site:

OpenCongress - Track bills, votes, senators, and representatives in the U.S. Congress

On the left is the text of the bill passing the house and a link to it.
Once you get to that page with the bill you then need to click on
"Official Bill Text" in upper right..that will get you the complete text.

Maybe this link will work..this should show the text of the bill:
Text of H.R.3962 as Introduced in House: Affordable Health Care for America Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,401,430 times
I think ya'll need to read a little more of the section, not just the first line. It would be interesting to see how you (well Hannity, O'Riely, Limbaugh, that is) interpret how these charges are to be applied from all that government speak. Have to have a law degree to understand the lingo.

It's "(a) In General- Chapter 31 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following new subchapter:"

You got the rest of Chapter 31 of the IRS code? It says there are exceptions. Know what they are? Know where to find them? How about the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act?

Bottom line is I'd bet it ain't nowhere as sinister as you, Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Rielly and others portray it to be. Problem is none of us are smart or resourceful enough to show the other, are we?

Here's a better link: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.3962: in "GPO's PDF Display in upper right corner.

Last edited by theolsarge; 11-08-2009 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 04:29 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,401,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How can you possibly argue points of the bill if you rely on MSM "interpretations" of it ?
Who is "MSM"? Where do you get your interpretations?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,221,636 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link but it's not taking me to any document.

Text of H.R.3962 as Introduced in House: Affordable Health Care for America Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

You really need to learn about the bill before you start to argue about whats init.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:43 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,229,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Section 552 creates a 2.5% tax on every medical device sold for use. Esimated revenue-$20 billion.
Among those "medical devices" are menstrual pads, tampons and elastic bandages.

Medical Device Exemptions 510(k) and GMP Requirements

http://hotair.cachefly.net/images/2009-10/foiclass.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-08-2009, 08:44 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,438,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Apparently only conservatives are allowed to play the race card on this forum, going around calling everyone racist for objecting to thinly veiled racial slurs used against Obama.

Hmm, hadn't herad any used. Could you provide an example?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:36 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,438,219 times
Quote:
Kinda like Michele Bachmann, Republican Representative from Minnesota -

"Page 92 of the House health care bill "says specifically that people can't purchase private health insurance after a date certain."

Three more by the same idiot.

PolitiFact | All statements involving Michele Bachmann (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/personalities/michele-bachmann/statements/byruling/pants-fire/ - broken link)

Politifact.

Bachmann's office did not respond to our call or an e-mail, but we found the language that she seemed to be referring to on Page 91 of the new bill: "The individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day of Y1."

To decipher it, we called Karen Pollitz, project director for the Health Policy Institute at the Georgetown University Public Policy Institute. She said it was a clause that allows people who would be eligible for coverage in the new health care exchange to keep an old policy they like.

"If you have a plan that's in effect prior to the effective date (of the exchange) and you like it, you can keep it," she said. (This is similar to a claim we checked back in July when the editorial page of Investor's Business Daily said the bill would outlaw private insurance. We rated that Pants on Fire.)

Karen Pollitz.

Mr. Chairman, the Tri-Committee draft proposal for health care reform is an impressive
accomplishment, worthy of the challenges we face to make health coverage available,
affordable, and adequate for all Americans. Your proposal defines a minimum health
benefits standard, requires all Americans to have it, and institutes reforms to ensure
affordable coverage in reformed markets with added, important consumer protections.
You also make available a new public plan option that will add to consumer choice and
move insurance markets to compete on the basis of cost efficiency, not risk selection.
No doubt, others will recommend modifications as I have today. The legislative process
was intended to consider all points of view and then to act in the best interests of the
public you represent. I could not be more pleased to see this legislative process at work.
I thank you for your courage and commitment to health care reform that secures good,
affordable health coverage for all Americans, and will be happy to provide you any
additional information or assistance that I can.

Fantastic pick for an unbiased authority.

Statement of Karen Pollitz, Research Professor Georgetown University Health Policy Institute Hearing on (http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:fl-ZZM6fKEsJ:edlabor.house.gov/documents/111/pdf/testimony/20090623KarenPollitzTestimony.pdf+Karen+Pollitz&cd =3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

Biased PolitiFact.com Covers for ACORN, Attacks Michele Bachmann | NewsBusters.org

Pro-Life Group Says PolitiFact Half Wrong on Abortion Funding in Baucus Bill

Help PolitiFact Get The Facts Right

Last edited by momonkey; 11-08-2009 at 09:50 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,907,798 times
Of course fact-checking sites are "biased" in the eyes of newsbusters.

Since you are hitting your head, I assume you have a big list of things that are incorrect on politifact?
Or is it frustration with facts in general that you are portraying?

In one of your links:
Quote:
The idea has potential. Pundits across the political spectrum have a knack for spinning facts in their favor, so a niche definitely exists for a truly neutral observer to fill. PolitiFact also can make a legitimate claim to being just such an observer because of its ties to Congressional Quarterly. I worked at CQ nearly seven years after moving to Washington, so I know firsthand that there isn't a more fair, balanced and nonpartisan news organization in America.
Then the author goes on a right-wing rant, complaining that conservatives show up in the "false" category too often.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 PM

45 posts, read 46,477 times
Bitter republicans. LOL.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:29 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,547,829 times
I got the email from Dick Morris. Remember him? He was the one who told Clinton to stop being so left wing if he wanted to be in the WH for another 4 years. Clinton followed his advice and won.

You can go to Dick Morris's web site at www.dickmorris.com and read what he has to say about the bill. He is also on FOX. Yes, he went to the dark side like a lot of commentators, etc, etc. Good for him.

Also, he has very good reason to hate this bill. His father had colon surgery recently and he is in his 90s. If this bill was in effect his father would have never qualified for surgery and would be dead now.

You can sign up to get his email on his web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies