Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,330,596 times

Advertisements

I've noticed the same racist bigots will react and attack anyone with a turban because they assume they are Islamic or beat up Indian Hindus because their names sound "Muslim-like" In 2001, a Sikh was shot and killed by a redneck because the moron thought he was Muslim. Great, anyone who looks Arabic is going to get beat up now. I'm half Hispanic half Caucasian and I know I'm going to get evil stares and harrassed just like what happened around 9/11. It took almost 3 years before the bigots calmed down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,972,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I've noticed the same racist bigots will react and attack anyone with a turban because they assume they are Islamic or beat up Indian Hindus because their names sound "Muslim-like" In 2001, a Sikh was shot and killed by a redneck because the moron thought he was Muslim. Great, anyone who looks Arabic is going to get beat up now. I'm half Hispanic half Caucasian and I know I'm going to get evil stares and harrassed just like what happened around 9/11. It took almost 3 years before the bigots calmed down
You're half Hispanic and live in AZ. I'm sure you're going to get a lot of stares.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,284,718 times
Quote:
In 2001, a Sikh was shot and killed by a redneck because the moron thought he was Muslim. Great, anyone who looks Arabic is going to get beat up now.
That's quite a leap, from one horrible incident to such a broad generalization as "anyone."

That said, I hope they leave the guys alone at the liquor store down the road, they are nice folk.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
You're half Hispanic and live in AZ. I'm sure you're going to get a lot of stares.
Actually, contrary to what you've heard, Phoenix is pretty tolerant. I just fear for Hindus, Sikhs and Hispanics living in the good ole boy areas. To them, they are all the same. They can't tell the difference

Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Actually, contrary to what you've heard, Phoenix is pretty tolerant. I just fear for Hindus, Sikhs and Hispanics living in the good ole boy areas. To them, they are all the same. They can't tell the difference
Just as to you "good ole boys" are all the same. At least you aren't violent about it like all of them there boys are.

Phoenix is a pretty nice town though.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Just as to you "good ole boys" are all the same. At least you aren't violent about it like all of them there boys are.

By "good ole boys" I'm specifically referring to those people who hold those beliefs. And it's true. They are clueless and to them they can't distinguish between ethnic groups nor do they care to

Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
By "good ole boys" I'm specifically referring to those people who hold those beliefs. And it's true. They are clueless and to them they can't distinguish between ethnic groups nor do they care to
I don't mean to bust your balls too much, I think it's horrible when people commit acts of violence, and I wish it upon no one. Of course, you are making quite a broad generalization, do you have any data to back up your claims about "good ole boys?" Are you just as guilty as they are of stereotyping people and judging them with little knowledge of who they really are?

I bet, if you saw my friends and I sitting on our tailgates, Budweisers in hand, George Jones on the radio, bait soaking, you'd assume we are "good ole boys" yet none of us have any intention of hurting anyone for any reason, nor do we think more or less of anyone because of the color of their skin.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
I don't mean to bust your balls too much, I think it's horrible when people commit acts of violence, and I wish it upon no one. Of course, you are making quite a broad generalization, do you have any data to back up your claims about "good ole boys?" Are you just as guilty as they are of stereotyping people and judging them with little knowledge of who they really are?

I bet, if you saw my friends and I sitting on our tailgates, Budweisers in hand, George Jones on the radio, bait soaking, you'd assume we are "good ole boys" yet none of us have any intention of hurting anyone for any reason, nor do we think more or less of anyone because of the color of their skin.
Honestly, how many of your friends can honestly see a Sikh and recognize they are Sikh and not an Islamic fundamentalist or see an Indian and know that most are Hindus and not Muslims? I'm sure you can but what about your friends?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,103,408 times
It looks like this thread is nothing more than someone saw an opportunity to be bigoted and racist against against people they term good old boys. I think if you look around the world of who attacks people with turbans you will see they have more to fear by other people that wear turbans.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,325,068 times
Quote:

How delightfully racist of you. The killer was born in Washington. He is 100% American.

Army post shooting rampage leaves 12 dead, 31 hurt - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_fort_hood_shooting;_ylt=AoH0nshOOUmlqk6waGv8mOu s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFiZjh1aDV2BHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl9icmV ha2luZ19uZXdzBHNsawNicmVha2luZ25ld3M- - broken link)

Hasan, whose family said he was born in suburban Washington, is single with no children. He graduated from Virginia Tech, where he was a member of the ROTC and earned a bachelor's degree in biochemistry in 1997. He received his medical degree from the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., in 2001 and was at Walter Reed for six years for his internship, residency and a fellowship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies