Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I had a good friend and former coworker who was a Sikh and horrible things were said and threatened to him shortly after 9/11. People just see another "Towel head" or "Rag Head" and call them a terrorist, it's quite sad.
But -- he is not being forced to wear head gear that makes him stand out. That is entirely his choice. A white Baptist wearing a turban or a towel on his head might be subjected to some comments also. A Sikh wearing jeans and a polo shirt or a western suit is not likely going to be noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But -- he is not being forced to wear head gear that makes him stand out. That is entirely his choice. A white Baptist wearing a turban or a towel on his head might be subjected to some comments also. A Sikh wearing jeans and a polo shirt or a western suit is not likely going to be noticed.
It's a part of his religion. You're basically saying he asked for it. I wouldn't expect any less from you.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:44 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Nazis promoted Christianity. Does that make all Christians like Nazis?

I see someone skipped history class.
They stole idea's from ancient rome,the Occult and made up..
Ideas about a racial past.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:51 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Please do some research on the type of site that you are taking information from. Infowars is way, way out there. I mean "people are reading your brain waves and the reptilian race is ready to take over" out there.

AlexBleef

There's a nice list of things the owner believes... my personal favorite:

I don't have to bother with the owner of this site. What he has listed about hussein obama and the churches is the truth, which is all I was interested in. He has it nicely put together so it was the site of choice to show you out of the sites I found the info.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
It's a part of his religion. You're basically saying he asked for it. I wouldn't expect any less from you.
Religion is also a choice but in this country we have freedom of religion and no one is forced to wear a turban. If wearing a big Cat in the Hat hat and outfit was my religion -- fine -- but that doesn't mean no one is going to look at me funny or cannot look at me.

Freedoms work both ways you know, you can't go around locking up people who might star at those who choose to wear towels or turbans on their heads and call it a free country. Exactly what do you propose the government do to protect the overly sensitive immigrants coming here today?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Looking at someone funny is one thing, threading their safety is another.

Overly sensitive immigrant? This person was an American born citizen who did not even do anything after being called a terrorist and spit on. Sikhs are a very peaceful people.

You speak as if anyone who is of another ethnic background or religion is not an American Citizen.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Keep in mind - the OP is complaining of "evil stares" and such for those who choose to wear a turban. One thing -- "evil stares" are often in the paranoid's mind only, they may imagine people are staring at them because they have chosen to dress in a way that makes them stand out but even if someone does look at you in a way you don't like or stares at you in a public place, that's their right.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind - the OP is complaining of "evil stares" and such for those who choose to wear a turban. One thing -- "evil stares" are often in the paranoid's mind only, they may imagine people are staring at them because they have chosen to dress in a way that makes them stand out but even if someone does look at you in a way you don't like or stares at you in a public place, that's their right.
Did you even read the OP? They're not talking about "evil stares", they're talking about violence... which has happened against Sikhs in the past.

Do you think a Sikh deserves to be assaulted or shot simply because they dress in a way that makes them stand out?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Did you even read the OP? They're not talking about "evil stares", they're talking about violence... which has happened against Sikhs in the past.

Do you think a Sikh deserves to be assaulted or shot simply because they dress in a way that makes them stand out?
I'm half Hispanic half Caucasian and I know I'm going to get evil stares and harrassed just like what happened around 9/11.

Direct quote from the OP's post. The OP is worried about getting evil stares and harassed because he thinks being half hispanic and half white in AZ is going to get him a lot of attention.

The only way Sikhs stand out is if they wear turbans -- that is their choice, just like wearing a Viking outfit might get you noticed more than if you dressed to fit in.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Religion is also a choice but in this country we have freedom of religion and no one is forced to wear a turban. If wearing a big Cat in the Hat hat and outfit was my religion -- fine -- but that doesn't mean no one is going to look at me funny or cannot look at me.

Freedoms work both ways you know, you can't go around locking up people who might star at those who choose to wear towels or turbans on their heads and call it a free country. Exactly what do you propose the government do to protect the overly sensitive immigrants coming here today?
Although, wearing a turban is not so much different than Christians wearing a cross/crucifix necklace. I can't imagine Christians would be ok with people looking at them funny for doing so or assuming negative things about them for wearing the cross.

You are right, freedom does work both ways.
I don't agree that today's immigrants are overly sensitive, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies