Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What happens when the rest of us are too broke to constantly spend money on cell phones?
The roads will become safer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 03:19 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
1. cable TV - stopped 4/09
2. Cell phones - stopped 9/09
3. Beer, liquor and wine - don't drink except on 12/31 (Bailey's mixed in coffee)
4. The lottery- yup..$2 per week
Software Engineer here making good money but not confident that I will stay in my job..could be offshored. Several folks at work are letting their plans run to the end and not renewing as well.

But I do think you are right KevK in that they are not so quick to drop the cell phone service. Most think it's a "necessity" to be available 24/7.

I just retort..hey they survived before cell phones..it's called answering machine and I'll call ya back.[/quote]

They need a cell phone to find another job after their job gets off shored!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:34 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I don't know where else to post this and didn't see any posts regarding this...

So many jobs have moved offshore as companies find ways to cut spending, as you all know. I believe it began in the 80s or 90s with British firms offshoring their jobs to India, with their strong colonial ties, and US firms followed.

Industries that have moved American jobs overseas:

Airlines, banks, law firms, computer companies, graphic design companies, movie studios, and of course manufacturing.

Oh, and Americans are getting surgeries and dental care overseas too. So, what kind of jobs will there be in America if we can't compete with low prices of the foreign market?

India offers skilled English-speaking workers with cheap wages -- who can compete with that?!

I know i don't sound optimistic but just exactly what can we do that NO ONE IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY can do? (P.S. We can't all work for the government!)
Also cell phone companies............

Old 11-07-2009, 03:38 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What happens when the rest of us are too broke to constantly spend money on cell phones?
We go back to conventional phones . **** Comcast offers a great deal
on home phones lines.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:32 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
on home phones lines.
CON-cast always offers you a deal....before they bend you over and say..."SQUEAL....like a pig, for me!"
Too bad they have no say in all the CRAP aired that somebody considers entertainment, thesedays!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:16 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
We (Americans) could also boycott foreign made items, but what's made in the U.S.A. anymore? Just about nothing. If tariffs are imposed, the foreign countries we trade with could boycott or impose tariffs on things they might purchase from us.

It seems pretty logical that there IS a trade imbalance.

Three questions,

1. How much do we export to foreign countries?
2. How much do we import from foreign countries?
3. If you reveresed that, would we be better off?

If you got yes for number 3, you are correct.

We import more then we export, so even if every country we do business with puts up retalitory tariffs, we will STILL gain net jobs. However, the only countries that will require tariffs are low labor cost countries. There is no need to put tariffs on western European countries, Canada or Japan. Their wages are near ours, and their human rights and benefits are better.

It turns out Canada is our biggest export partner by far, and together with Japan and UK, make up 3 of our 4 top export destinations.

The reality of it is, the exports we send to the banana republics making all of our crap total up to a sliver of our total exports. They are not buying a fraction of the crap we are buying from them, which is why they are sitting on huge amounts of dollars, which they use to buy US debt, rather then actual products of any kind.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Three questions,

1. How much do we export to foreign countries?
2. How much do we import from foreign countries?
3. If you reveresed that, would we be better off?

If you got yes for number 3, you are correct.

We import more then we export, so even if every country we do business with puts up retalitory tariffs, we will STILL gain net jobs. However, the only countries that will require tariffs are low labor cost countries. There is no need to put tariffs on western European countries, Canada or Japan. Their wages are near ours, and their human rights and benefits are better.

It turns out Canada is our biggest export partner by far, and together with Japan and UK, make up 3 of our 4 top export destinations.

The reality of it is, the exports we send to the banana republics making all of our crap total up to a sliver of our total exports. They are not buying a fraction of the crap we are buying from them, which is why they are sitting on huge amounts of dollars, which they use to buy US debt, rather then actual products of any kind.
american exports are too expensive to buy.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
on home phones lines.
Actually my question was in answer to kev's statement that he will ALWAYS have a job because he works in cell phones and people will ALWAYS spend money on cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies