Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:34 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Since so many of these threads are adversarial, I thought I'd post a thread about what I think liberals are right about and what conservatives are right about:

Liberals are right about:

1. Gay rights and gay marriage. I'm gay. I didn't choose it. I should be able to marry a person of my choice just as a hetersexual would. Period!!!One exception is that I do think heterosexual couples should be given preference in matters of adoption. All other things being equal, I think it's better for a kid to have a mom & a dad than 2 moms or 2 dads. As an alternative, if we want marriage to be something that isn't sponsored by the state at all, I could live with that (although that seems highly unlikely to happen).

2. Environmentalism...to a degree. We DO need to kick our addiction to foreign oil and fossil fuels. And driving giant SUVs and living in McMansions in far flung suburbs is ridiculous, unnecessary, impractical, and stressful in most instances.

Conservatives are right about:

1. The importance of marriage, especially when children are involved. Having kids out of wedlock is a horrible idea for both parents and children. That's true from an emotional as well as a financial standpoint. The evidence is pretty overwhelming in favor of children being reared in married two parent families.

Forget Juno. Out-of-wedlock births are a national catastrophe. - By Emily Yoffe - Slate Magazine

2. Taxes , big government, & regulation. For the most part, they have it right about this. Most of the time, politicians don't spend money according to what is economically best for all. They do what interest groups with the most clout want and/or what is emotionally appealing to voters. 99% of the time, what is emotionally appealing or of interest to a small group is not in the best interest of the economy at large. Government bureaucracies tend to be lazier and more unaccountable than an enterprise that can go out of business (which is why the Detroit & bank bailouts were such a horrible idea).

Regulation drives up costs for small businesses, which are the businesses that create the most jobs and drive innovation in the long run. Conservatives tend to understand this more than liberals do. Lots of regulation has the effect keeping small businesses from competing with larger ones, which protects the big corporations that liberals love to hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 05:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Any more, the terms liberal and conservative have changed and been confused to the point where it's difficult to discern the difference, or define it.

That said, I'm sure this thread will be off to the Politics hell-hole in a few minutes.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I don't hang out in this forum much, but this is probably one of the smartest things I've read here.

Kudos to the OP.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
I'll give the liberals credit for the value they place on education and exposure to diversity.

I'll give conservatives credit for the value they place on national defense and the hard stance on crime.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:21 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
the problem with labels is even those under the same umbrella don't always have the same stance or can be contrary to thier chosen party and may only agree on some aspects which cause them to choose conservative or liberal. that's why it can still be misleading and people can choose based on even one pertinent area of personal interest.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:09 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
mysticaltyger, I am sorry but I just do not understand what it is that gays and lesbians will get out of marriage unless it is the legal and tax benefits that married heterosexual couples were given years ago by the I.R.S. and other governmental agencies.

My understanding of human sociology/anthropology is that marriage is found in most religions for the purposes that you stated: to provide for the children in their emotional, social, economic and health development. Later, tax advantages were added by certain governments since at that time, most women did not work outside the home.

Marriage also makes it harder for one parent to up and leave on a whim: there are financial and social penalties to be paid although the social ones are diminishing.

So, what is it that gays want? The tax advantage? (As DINKS -double income, no kids- most gay couples have tons of disposable income; do they need more?)

The legal right to say "We're married!"? That novelty may well wear off after one generation.

What? What is it? I really am curious.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
Liberals are right about... euthanasia. (Not the Youth in Asia, but the OTHER kind)

Conservatives are right about ... everything else.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There are economic liberals and conservatives, and there are social liberals and conservatives. More and more, they are splitting, and more and more people are on on the liberal side on one, and the conservative side on the other. People call themselves liberals or conservatives, and then mix up the two concepts, and turn out to be, on many issues, the opposite of what they call themselves.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:30 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Liberals are right about:
1) Environmentalism-I don't understand why this is such an all or nothing issue. It's either "all the icecaps will be gone by next week" or "burning fossil fuels is in the bible." I lean just to the left on this one.
2) Defense Spending-It has pretty much been the chief form of corporate welfare for the past 50 years. We always have to have the newest, shiniest toys. Meanwhile, we're getting our asses handed to us by dudes who roll 20 deep in 80's Datsun pickups.
3) Health Care-If we can afford it, why not? Insurance companies have been screwing people for a while. I'm for a basic health maintenance package with emergency catastrophic coverage as a public option.

Conservatives are right about:
1) Abortion-I'm not saying women shouldn't have a choice but I think abortions should be discouraged unless there is a risk to mother or child.
2) Taxes-I think lower taxes are better for business. I understand that this may look weird when I said I prefer a liberal approach to Health Care but I just think some of the billions we spend on defense can be shifted to Health Care.
3) Gun Control-In a perfect world only lresponsible, law abiding citizens would have guns but unfortunately that's not the case.

Both are WRONG about:
1) The War on Drugs-The biggest waste of money and human life in this country's history. Legalize and take away the profit and you take away the motivation and the crime related to the drug trade. Tax it and put the money into prevention and treatment programs. Or at least decriminalize it.

Last edited by DTL3000; 10-31-2009 at 11:40 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 19,326 times
how can you be gay and really think that it's better to have a mom and dad versus a 2 daddies??? that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard be proud of who u are and having a mom and dad is no better than.. who cares what the genetalia is??? its about who's the loving supporting family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies